M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put Forcewinder air cleaners (cone style) on my 07 109. I did it primarily for looks, and cuz they are much easier to remove and replace vs. the stock air boxes. Now, of course the manufacturer and the dealers tell me I should re-program the fuel to optimize performance. I'm not really concerned with extra horsepower cuz we all know these beasts have enough power right out of the box. I just want to know if I am damaging the engine by not re-mapping? I still have stock exhaust.

Thanks for your expertise!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I recently put Forcewinder air cleaners (cone style) on my 07 109. I did it primarily for looks, and cuz they are much easier to remove and replace vs. the stock air boxes. Now, of course the manufacturer and the dealers tell me I should re-program the fuel to optimize performance. I'm not really concerned with extra horsepower cuz we all know these beasts have enough power right out of the box. I just want to know if I am damaging the engine by not re-mapping? I still have stock exhaust.

Thanks for your expertise!
Rule of thumb:

1) Air box change only - no fuel management needed
2) Debaffle or change pipes only - no fuel management needed
3) Change pipes and intakes - fuel management needed.

If you get the cobra fi2000, it will wake the bike up as far as throttle response and smooth it out some. It isn't needed, but worth throwing on the xmas wish list.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
More likely than not, you'll be fine. Go out and ride it...put the bike through its paces. If you feel like the bike is bogging/hesitating, then you need a fuel manager. If it's running good and strong, then you're fine. Listen to your bike; it will tell you if you need it or not. :doorag:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, One more question

Ok great, now I won't be paranoid to ride. But what exactly is the difference between the Cobra and PCIII programmers? Besides price of course. And which one would suit my situation better, if I decided to capture the additional performance potential that I have with the new intakes?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Ok great, now I won't be paranoid to ride. But what exactly is the difference between the Cobra and PCIII programmers? Besides price of course. And which one would suit my situation better, if I decided to capture the additional performance potential that I have with the new intakes?
PC3 you need to load a map from someone with the same setup or put it on the dyno. Generally you are looking at $250 for the unit, and a couple hundred or more to dyno.

Cobra Fi2000 has 3 pods. It comes stock with a setting that is adding fuel. Very easy to find your setting for your mods. Bike comes lean from the factory and when you put on the FI2000, the added fuel really wakes it up, smoothes it out and is noticeable. Like Bobby said, you don't need it but it is an added bonus. A pc3 is only as good as the tuner. I had one on my bike for 12k miles and it ran very good but was rich. I put a fi2000 on and tuned it myself. It is more responsive and gets better fuel mileage and have had it on for the last 15k miles.

If you don't care about every last bit of horsepower...fi2000. You can get them for about $200.

G

·
Healtech has a cheaper version of the PCIII type tuner but does everything it does, along with a much smaller package. $239 + simpler install than both Cobra or PCIII, no need to get to the injectors, it does it at the ECU. But hey, just sayin. There's an overwhelming amount of both Cobra and PCIII on this site, so you probably won't even read this.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
. A pc3 is only as good as the tuner. I had one on my bike for 12k miles and it ran very good but was rich. I put a fi2000 on and tuned it myself. It is more responsive and gets better fuel mileage and have had it on for the last 15k miles.
Wow! Since the PCIII can add AND subtract fuel, I would have thought you would have gotten better gas mileage from it.

Either will work fine for you. I personally like the PC because you can adjust it much, much more than the FI2000. The Cobra unit just adds fuel which may or may not be what your bike needs. The PC allows you to add and subtract fuel. The PC also takes into consideration your throttle position.

You don't have to get a custom dyno map for your bike. You can use a map for a bike with similar mods as yours and "tweak" it as needed.

Again, either one will be fine; you really can't go wrong with either unit! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Healtech has a cheaper version of the PCIII type tuner but does everything it does, along with a much smaller package. $239 + simpler install than both Cobra or PCIII, no need to get to the injectors, it does it at the ECU. But hey, just sayin. There's an overwhelming amount of both Cobra and PCIII on this site, so you probably won't even read this.
I am very interested in that as well. Not going to switch, but it seems like a pretty good option as far as the ease to hook it up. But, it basically is the same as the pc3 as far as the tuning aspect.

Wow! Since the PCIII can add AND subtract fuel, I would have thought you would have gotten better gas mileage from it.

Either will work fine for you. I personally like the PC because you can adjust it much, much more than the FI2000. The Cobra unit just adds fuel which may or may not be what your bike needs. The PC allows you to add and subtract fuel. The PC also takes into consideration your throttle position.

You don't have to get a custom dyno map for your bike. You can use a map for a bike with similar mods as yours and "tweak" it as needed.

Again, either one will be fine; you really can't go wrong with either unit! :bigthumbsup:
Yea, it was all back to the pc3 is only as good as your tuner comment. My tuner added a lot of fuel on the low end to stop the high idle he was getting. I talked to McCoy who checked maps and told me to "0" it all out. I did that, but the bike ran like crap or when I brought the values back up, didn't like it and idled high again. So, it was nice and rich on the bottom end. It put down 115/109 on the dyno. When I put the Fi2000 on, it cleared that up and nearly ripped the grips from my hands on the pull up the road.

The pc3 is definitely the better of the two if you want to get every last drop of hp out. Just my opinion, but since the bike is coming lean, and mods lean it out more, fuel is what the bike likes. So, you really can't go wrong either way, but if you are not up to spending the money and relying on another person's map, I tend to steer away from the pc3. The pcV is a great option, but the price is even higher.

G

·
I am very interested in that as well. Not going to switch, but it seems like a pretty good option as far as the ease to hook it up. But, it basically is the same as the pc3 as far as the tuning aspect.
Yeah, I am really impressed with it. Not knocking the others, but boy word of mouth sure does ring on this site!

I was just put off with having to take all that other crap off, so when I saw the Healtech, I pounced. So I'm lazy, sue me! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts