M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Re: Fuel Processor shootout Power Commander vs. Cobra vs. Techlusion

Sounds like they like the TFI a bit better than the power commander.. but then again, most of the tech in the 109 is from a GSX so race tech like the PC III might actually be more in line with how the bike works.. having said all that, I probably would never put any of them on my bike at any rate.. Think its plenty fast enough as it is (stop with the flaming arrows, they're scorching my den! :joke:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'd like to see a honset 140-150 RWHP....and a streetable 10 sec. v-twin.... :D :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
514 Posts

DHandyman said:
Sounds like they like the TFI a bit better than the power commander.. but then again, most of the tech in the 109 is from a GSX so race tech like the PC III might actually be more in line with how the bike works.. having said all that, I probably would never put any of them on my bike at any rate.. Think its plenty fast enough as it is (stop with the flaming arrows, they're scorching my den! :joke:)
The TFI has 3 adjustments for the entire rpm range...... the pc3 has around 112 (16 adjustments per 1000 rpm)
The TFI can't remove fuel, just add.
The TFI uses "crimp-on " connectors, the PC3 uses factory plug-n-play.
The pc3 will have maps created by other that you can share and load.....

Each of these tuning boxes are not just for making a bike fast..... they are to tune and get the best from teh bike... no matter if that is best mileage, or best hp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

jeffw said:
Each of these tuning boxes are not just for making a bike fast..... they are to tune and get the best from teh bike... no matter if that is best mileage, or best hp.
hear, hear...
well said jeff... :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

jeffw said:
The TFI has 3 adjustments for the entire rpm range...... the pc3 has around 112 (16 adjustments per 1000 rpm)
The TFI can't remove fuel, just add.
The TFI uses "crimp-on " connectors, the PC3 uses factory plug-n-play.
The pc3 will have maps created by other that you can share and load.....

Don't most air/exhaust mods require a richer mixture? Don't most bikes come from the factory lean? My M109R pops on decel and it's completely stock. I don't have a dyno, a PC or $340 but I do have $160 for the TFI.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Don't be surprised if that Independent Shootout was actually done through a TFI affiliate

·
Registered
379 Posts

I like Hardly D's way of thinking. I too think the bike really only needs more fuel to run right.  Mine runs nice and smooth until it fully warms up. Then it begins feeling lean. Don't the ECU add more fuel when cold? Seem like more fuel when warm would work fine.  TFI is the direction I am leaning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Bluecruzer said:
Don't be surprised if that Independent Shootout was actually done through a TFI affiliate
Could be but TFI was started by the guy who started DynoJet. Anybody install a Dynojet kit on your carbed bike? I'll let you know how the TFI works when I get it on the 12th of this month.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Never been about horsepower with a power commander for me. In fact, you're not going to see (correct me if I'm wrong Jeffw) any significant increase in horsepower with a power commander. What you will see with a PCIII is much better throttle response, which is why I prefer to wait till the PCIII is available.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Funny thing happened today...... I got an email from Techlusion the makers of the TFI asking if I would like to sell it on my site.

Back 2 years ago, Mark Dobec (one of the DYno Jet founders) came out to Olathe Suzuki to give us a tutorial on his then new TFI box....... I wonder if he still remembers that. Funny how small the world really is sometimes.

·
Registered
192 Posts

None of these will give you power if you already have a good curve. They are simply there to help tune bad spots that you put in there by modifying your bike OR lean spots dictated by EPA. Something just dawned on me as I'm sitting here typing. I just read jeffw description on the PAIR, and if the PAIR is leaning the exhaust after combustion, then we would be tuning our bikes to a false EGA reading, no? Am I a genius now, or uninformed? It might be another case for a PAIR removal. Or does the PAIR only work on decelleration? But I digress. You have to KNOW what your fuel curve looks like before you start messing with it. Japanese bikes have been notoriously rich on top and lean below for the EPA tests. It's the manufacturer's way of passing inspection with a high performance bike by giving the bike max full throttle HP, but giving it less than perfect driveability. Meaning, you will get no increase in peak power by adding an X Box, but you may be able to increase driveability and lessen the chance of damaging your engine at cruising speeds from a lean condition. Bottom line, unless you know what you need, you can't fix it. I'm sure someone on this site will figure out where our bikes sit and give us the good gouge at some point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts