M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I went and reread Hinks FAQ... I hav e installed ducks mod( a gorgeious special design he made for me) and have now cobra pipes. i guess now I need fuel management? what is exactly fuel management? I dont have a problem with the price of fuel here since I can fill my tank with US$0.25 and still leave a tip.. Anybody can explain this to me please?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,096 Posts
A fuel manager lets you add or remove more fuel from the mixture. Most, such as the Cobra FI2000R, can only add fuel. That's fine as you usually need more not less.

Stock the bike is tuned lean for emissions. When you add mods that let more air in, or free up the exhaust, you need to add more fuel. If you don't you risk running it too lean and potentially burning a piston or valve.

Plus, you only get the full performance of your added mods by getting the fuel mixture where it should be. And most are plug and play, you install them inline with your fuel injector plugs, and adjust as needed.

It has nothing to do with saving fuel, just getting the mixture right so you can run it safely without damaging the engine. :D

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
A fuel manager lets you add or remove more fuel from the mixture. Most, such as the Cobra FI2000R, can only add fuel. That's fine as you usually need more not less.

Stock the bike is tuned lean for emissions. When you add mods that let more air in, or free up the exhaust, you need to add more fuel. If you don't you risk running it too lean and potentially burning a piston or valve.

Plus, you only get the full performance of your added mods by getting the fuel mixture where it should be. And most are plug and play, you install them inline with your fuel injector plugs, and adjust as needed.

It has nothing to do with saving fuel, just getting the mixture right so you can run it safely without damaging the engine. :D
Roger that zoom, I bumped up pot 2&3 today after drilling the 8 holes in each pipe, and it must just be me, but every time i do these mods I swear the bike gets faster and stronger. LOL I think that is suppose to happen, isn't it? She ran real strong today on the freeway going to and from Seattle. Blasted pass the century mark several times, Just like that!! The beast is amazing............

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger that zoom, I bumped up pot 2&3 today after drilling the 8 holes in each pipe, and it must just be me, but every time i do these mods I swear the bike gets faster and stronger. LOL I think that is suppose to happen, isn't it? She ran real strong today on the freeway going to and from Seattle. Blasted pass the century mark several times, Just like that!! The beast is amazing............
but you have fuel management?? was planning on a 300 mile trip saturday but guess I wont since I dont want to mess up anything in this beauty.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
so ZOOM, you recommend I get the cobra set then? Will order it ASAP... will it hurt the engine if I make a 600 mile round trip without it saturday?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
but you have fuel management?? was planning on a 300 mile trip saturday but guess I wont since I dont want to mess up anything in this beauty.
Yes I do and like zoom and others know here, a lean fuel mixture isn't healthy for the beast. I don't know what a 300 mile ride would do, but safe is not to be sorry, It only takes 30 minutes tops to put a FI manager in, Get one before ya go if ya can and install.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You won't mess up anything. My son has ducks covers and cobra pipes and the bike runs great.
thank. that is interesting but I KNOW that when you have free exhaust, in the long run, engines tend to start burning oil. Dont ask me why or how but have had three different engines run without the silencer and in a mattrer of months they need to be overhauled.
That I know for a fact. Anyhow will try to get it ASAP. One thing I have learned here from reading all the posts and the screw ups that have resulted is to NEVER GO AGAINST THE FORUM. But will keep your advise in mind Sir.

·
Registered
147 Posts
interesting

I didnt realise the cobras were an easy fit item,so thats cool for me as im not comfortable playing with electrics on my bike.Is it really a just plug in and go item?I fitted Akropovic pipes to my 990KTM and had to buy a PC it was big money and i had to have it mapped on a dyno,sorry for the thread hijack guys.........

·
Registered
300 Posts
25 cent fillup ?

so I went and reread Hinks FAQ... I hav e installed ducks mod( a gorgeious special design he made for me) and have now cobra pipes. i guess now I need fuel management? what is exactly fuel management? I dont have a problem with the price of fuel here since I can fill my tank with US$0.25 and still leave a tip.. Anybody can explain this to me please?
maybe you can explain how come you can fill your tank for a quarter :dontknow: are some kind of lncentives in place there ? if so I am jealous :2cool:

G

·
Healtech FI tuner install less involved and pc based. Can add/remove fuel. I adore the setup.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a little update

went for a ride today... I dont know if itis the wonderful sound or my imagination but that beats now packs more POWER it seems. And if it turned heads before now it turns WHOLE BODIES!!! Thanks to all the oine that have guided me and suggested all the different mods. just waiting now for the arnott ride to arrive.In a few minutes I humbly invite you to see the pics of the most powerful and gorgeous bike in south america if not ALL AMERICA in the blacks only thread...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
maybe you can explain how come you can fill your tank for a quarter :dontknow: are some kind of lncentives in place there ? if so I am jealous :2cool:
yeah. well to be honest I would prefer to pay two bucks A LITER and not live under this f...g president. Fortunately for him he can still subsidize the gasoline and diesel. We have the cheapest gas in the world. it costs a little over a cent a liter...

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
yeah. well to be honest I would prefer to pay two bucks A LITER and not live under this f...g president. Fortunately for him he can still subsidize the gasoline and diesel. We have the cheapest gas in the world. it costs a little over a cent a liter...
holy crap,,,,,,,,,,,, I am moving there LOL

G

·
Great info. So does this take the place of a programmer and an FMU?
FMU?

This is a fuel injection tuner, RPM/Throttle position based. It does not "trick" the injectors like the other products, no need to remove the tank and all that crap. This splices into the RPM and TPS wires right off the ECU, found under the left side cover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FMU?

This is a fuel injection tuner, RPM/Throttle position based. It does not "trick" the injectors like the other products, no need to remove the tank and all that crap. This splices into the RPM and TPS wires right off the ECU, found under the left side cover.
Does is come with a few pre-programmed MAP selections, or did you have to set your own AFR?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.