M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing this cover from Ducks in the near future.

I have K&N filters in place with the stock backplate. My exhaust is a gutted OEM. Will the open mesh face of this cover, in conjunction with the K&N's require a fuel manager of some sort?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need a fuel manager of some kind bro. You'll thank yourself in the long run! :bigthumbsup:
I was afraid you would say that!

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
I waited for a while to get one myself. My bike rean fine without it. But you will smile from ear to ear with the FI2000R. Spend the extra $200 and get it. The new torque is unreal. It brings the 9 to a whole new level. I was like a kid on Christmas after installing mine. Plus it is a plug and play system. Believe me it is totally worth it.

Len

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I waited for a while to get one myself. My bike rean fine without it. But you will smile from ear to ear with the FI2000R. Spend the extra $200 and get it. The new torque is unreal. It brings the 9 to a whole new level. I was like a kid on Christmas after installing mine. Plus it is a plug and play system. Believe me it is totally worth it.

Len
It really is "Plug-and-Play"? I know nothing of them and was wondering what it is like to set it up and adjust it.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
My opinion, you should have a FM anyway. But fact is imo you are just adding cold air not more air. Only so much air can go through the filter.
Not true. The most restrictive part of the stock air box isn't the OEM filter, it's the small opening on the air box itself. This particular Ducks cover is going to allow for much more airflow into the engine as compared to a K&N filter in a stock air box. I would say this Ducks cover, the K&N filter, and a gutted stock exhaust system will definitely require a fuel manager to run properly.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not true. The most restrictive part of the stock air box isn't the OEM filter, it's the small opening on the air box itself. This particular Ducks cover is going to allow for much more airflow into the engine as compared to a K&N filter in a stock air box. I would say this Ducks cover, the K&N filter, and a gutted stock exhaust system will definitely require a fuel manager to run properly.
Thanks for chiming in, Grampi. Well, that's settled. I gotta get a fuel manager. Which one do you all recommend and where should I get it! :bigthumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
:agree: For the most part. There have been dyno runs with just the addition of a cover that I did with about the same face amount cut out and they gained 10hp.

Yes the FI2000R is a plug and play. You dont need to splice anything. I ran at the factory settings on mine and it works awesome! There are a bunch of guys that have these and love them. No need for dyno runs to adjust like you need on the PCIII.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Value,ease of installation, and simplicity of added performance...go the FI2000r. Yours will probably run perfect on the default settings of 1-3-2. I've had mine now for over two years.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,140 Posts
Same here, FI2000R. You have to pull the seat and tank to install it and getting the front injector connector unclipped is a little tricky, but overall it's an easy install. And it works great.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Same here, FI2000R. You have to pull the seat and tank to install it and getting the front injector connector unclipped is a little tricky, but overall it's an easy install. And it works great.
A little tricky? That front injector connector is a bear to get at. But overall, I'd highly recommend the FI2000R. Nice unit. I am however very interested in finding out more about the new FM unit Cobra is supposedly coming out with this spring...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, thanks for the help and guidance guys. :bigthumbsup: I just placed an order for the FI2000R. Starting this weekend I am digging in to install a Joe Florida LED kit in blue, the FI2000R, and my new Duck's covers! My friends already hate my bike bc they say it makes them look bad!:duck: It's just gonna get worse now!:hot:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Your friends already hate your bike. That is funny but that is also how the 9 rolls. And now your adding lights and more power, you will be smiling from ear to ear this coming season and they will be frowning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is a very interesting thread.
Thanks for all your ideas and opinions.
Question.... does the FM system have anything to do with the need for an ATRE, or do they work independently. I do not have either, but have the stock pipes debaffled. I'm not sure if I should do the ATRE or FM next.
Can not do both, which is the biggest bang for the buck.
Which ATRE is the best?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,140 Posts
This is a very interesting thread.
Thanks for all your ideas and opinions.
Question.... does the FM system have anything to do with the need for an ATRE, or do they work independently. I do not have either, but have the stock pipes debaffled. I'm not sure if I should do the ATRE or FM next.
Can not do both, which is the biggest bang for the buck.
Which ATRE is the best?
The ATRE is totally separate, and different purposes. The fuel manager manages the fuel, the ATRE (or TRE) eliminates the timing retard in the lower gears and also removes the top speed limiter. One does timing, one does fuel.

There really is no best, they all do the same thing. They make the bike think it's in 4th gear and that's all they do. But buy something that is used by others on here and not something off ebay. Trackday Electronics makes a good one that is just a TRE and also one with a gear indicator. Or get the GiPro which has both.

The difference between a TRE and ATRE is mostly semantics. TRE is for Timing Retard Eliminator, and ATRE just adds Automatic. In the early days TRE's made the bike idle fast in neutral, now the automatic ones sense neutral and kick out so the idle stays the same. I don't know of any good ones that aren't ATRE's.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What a great explanation !
That totally clears that up.
Thank you for taking the time to help out those, like myself, that are getting up to speed on some things.
You are good friends.
:p
One vote for Track Day Electronics! It works beautifully, installs very easily, LOW price, and fast shipping with great communication after purchase. BTW, the effect on the 9 of a good TRE is just phonomenal!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts