M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a cold air intake mod using V-chargers and exhaust mod, like scorpion tip mod, but used stock tips instead. Also, did not remove catalytic converter or set valve. I am not getting any acceleration or decelerration popping and the bike runs as strong as it did before the mods, with no FI lights blinking. The bike runs great! What are your thoughts... Do I really need a fuel management system? Power commander or something similar? Which system would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!

Frank

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If you have both an intake and exhaust you need to get some sort of tuner to smooth out the air fuel ratio. There could be lean spots in thought your rev range that you might not notice until you burn a valve or piston. Better to spend a couple hundred now than to have to tear your motor down to replace something. I have the PCIII and my 9 runs great.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
:pray: Please God, give me the strength to not scream at this guy... Whew, ok. Yes, you need fuel management. These bikes are set up lean for emmission reasons from the factory. By doing these mods, you have leaned it out more. Please, check the link in my signature to see answers to frequently asked questions.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
:pray: Please God, give me the strength to not scream at this guy... Whew, ok. Yes, you need fuel management. These bikes are set up lean for emmission reasons from the factory. By doing these mods, you have leaned it out more. Please, check the link in my signature to see answers to frequently asked questions.
If ,as he says that the cat and SET are still in place a freer flowing intake is not going to make much difference in the fuel mix other then the factory norm when he had mufflers...it will just be louder. That being said it will still run better...smoother...and have more power if you add fuel management because as Hink says it is set lean at the lower rpm range for emissions from the factory. An inexpensive Cobra FI2000r would really enhance the driveability if you have a few bucks and can easily be installed by you mrhp. If you disagree Hink....that's ok I'll still respect you in the morning :D

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It's not that I disagree, but as you may remember, I ran scorpion tips (intact cat, and SET), and the goldwing mod before my current setup. I was extremely lean. This is what I am basing my statement on.

I also use the FI2000r, and I love it.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Well personal experience trumps personal opinion any day :bigthumbsup: He would benefit from fuel management anyway and that we agree on. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i only have scorpion tips and a tre installed and i felt i was running lean just like what was said very good insurance. so the guys on here made me feel good about getting a cobra just because and holy :edit: batman it made a heck of a difference and i didnt think anything was bad either. best $190 i have ever spent. also hink u did very good not to scream:bigthumbsup:lol

·
Registered
595 Posts
Keep in mind too that lean fuel also makes the engine run much HOTTER....so even if it seems to run OK to you the additional heat is putting more stress on all engine components and your engine will wear out much sooner!!

Eventually you will notice discoloration of your exhaust because the pipes get so hot under high engine load.

YES....GET A FUEL MANAGER!!!!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
If anything you will love the fuel manager for how amazingly smooth your bike will run. I swear my bike runs silky smooth in every gear and just feels great too. I have a Fi2000R as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
:agree:I have Ducks intake mod with stock exhaust . I have the fi2000r and it does smooth it out and I notice better response . And like everyone is saying , all bikes come lean from the factory .

G

·
You guys are forgetting that he has a California model. It has O2 sensors. They will adjust the fuel to stock perameters for his mods. That doesn't mean it won't benefit from a fuel manager, but the gain wo't be as much and he's not going to damage anything without one.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
You guys are forgetting that he has a California model. It has O2 sensors. They will adjust the fuel to stock perameters for his mods. That doesn't mean it won't benefit from a fuel manager, but the gain wo't be as much and he's not going to damage anything without one.
:doh::redfaced:I forgot about that... Great call!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're right Pegasus! It is a Cali bike. However, the exhaust is from a 2008 M109 from Arkansas. Do the Arkansas M109's have an O2 sensor? Where is the sensor located?

Thanks again to all who replied!
Frank

G

·
You're right Pegasus! It is a Cali bike. However, the exhaust is from a 2008 M109 from Arkansas. Do the Arkansas M109's have an O2 sensor? Where is the sensor located?

Thanks again to all who replied!
Frank
The Ark pipe would not have the O2s. Something would have had to be done to the O2 connectors, or the computer, to prevent an FI light and make it run right. Those same alterations could change the fuel curve at the same time. Did you swap the pipe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi im new to the forum and wanted to reply to this post as this is what i do for a living. to answer the question cleanly and correctly, yes your bike will be running extreamly lean, and very hot as a result. some of you seem to think that the o2 sensor will compensate for his mod, but this is very untrue. if it were just the pipes, i would say yeah maybe it will compensate a little, but not to the extent of a tuned engine. it will ride respectfully but the bike is running temps that are making it suseptable to detonation,(pinging), and given the engine noises the 109 makes and due to some of you having huge pipes, you wont hear this, but it is doing untold damage. the o2's can be put back into the new exhaust by a good exhaust shop with out seeing them. with a fuel processor that is dyno-tuned well, you should see the bike run fine. but i wouldnt be riding round giving it heaps untill you do get it tuned.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Ark pipe would not have the O2s. Something would have had to be done to the O2 connectors, or the computer, to prevent an FI light and make it run right. Those same alterations could change the fuel curve at the same time. Did you swap the pipe?
Pegasus,
Yes, I installed the Arkansas pipe. I did not do any adjustment to the computer. No FI light is on. The only 2 connectors that were unplugged and replugged were from the set valve actuator. I used the same set valve actuator from the California exhaust, since the Arkansas exhaust did not have it.

Frank

G

·
Pegasus,
Yes, I installed the Arkansas pipe. I did not do any adjustment to the computer. No FI light is on. The only 2 connectors that were unplugged and replugged were from the set valve actuator. I used the same set valve actuator from the California exhaust, since the Arkansas exhaust did not have it.

Frank
Then you didn't start with a California model. The O2s are in the header pipe not far from the heads, and before they come together at the ECV. You would have had to disconnect the leads to them when you took the pipes off.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
I thought we had determined a while back that Cali bikes didn't have O2 sensors?

I know they have the vapor collection system for the fuel tank, and that is also shared on some bikes in some localities in other states. But you have to go outside the U.S. to find a bike with O2 sensors.

Pegasus, I think I recall you saying your bike had the vapor collection canister, does it also have O2 sensors?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts