M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know the bike needs fuel management when both exhaust and intakes are changed. Maybe this has been covered somewhere already but my question is, since our bikes a factory tuned lean, would there be any benefit to adding a Cobra to a stock bike? I'm thinking yes, since it's adding fuel but I'm not sure where the benefit would be realized...throttle response?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Yes, absolutely.....it will be noticeably smoother at the lower rpm ranges and medium cruising. I think few people just do fuel management because you can't see or hear the difference like you do changing an intake/exhaust.

G

·
So I know the bike needs fuel management when both exhaust and intakes are changed. Maybe this has been covered somewhere already but my question is, since our bikes a factory tuned lean, would there be any benefit to adding a Cobra to a stock bike? I'm thinking yes, since it's adding fuel but I'm not sure where the benefit would be realized...throttle response?
Open and disable your SET valve if you go with fuel management. You'll get better flow, throttle response, etc., and the fuel changes will fill the *small* loss of low end torque without ruining mileage. Hits better in the upper RPM too.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, absolutely.....it will be noticeably smoother at the lower rpm ranges and medium cruising. I think few people just do fuel management because you can't see or hear the difference like you do changing an intake/exhaust.
Thanks Gramps...so putting on a TRE would do the same thing (stock) at 1/6 the cost?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Open and disable your SET valve if you go with fuel management. You'll get better flow, throttle response, etc., and the fuel changes will fill the *small* loss of low end torque without ruining mileage. Hits better in the upper RPM too.
Thanks boss:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Were you referring to this:

COBRA
FI 2000R DIGITAL FUEL PROCESOR FOR BOULEVARD M109R (92-1845)

PART NO: TU080813

I was planning to get it too since its a plug and play item as I do not think very much of the tuning here from where I come from unfortunately. Do not want to be at the mercy of tuners and their crazy charges or explanations to other stuff when things fail.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
All you have to do is dis-connect the cables to dis-able the SET. It is set-up so that the spring holds the valve open. Of course you must pull the wire out of the ECU, that is a given.

So I don't really know what you were referring to with
"open and dis-able your SET valve."
Nothing to open, just dis-connect the cables.

G

·
All you have to do is dis-connect the cables to dis-able the SET. It is set-up so that the spring holds the valve open. Of course you must pull the wire out of the ECU, that is a given.

So I don't really know what you were referring to with Nothing to open, just dis-connect the cables.
We meant the same thing.......

It's only a given to experienced people. I don't try to push info on the guys too fast until they ask. If he doesn't ask, he knows. :D

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Thanks Gramps...so putting on a TRE would do the same thing (stock) at 1/6 the cost?
I'm not going to get into this debate ( ATRE vs Fueler) I ran the TRE for a few years as it was my first mod......I was never happy with the inconsistent pinging from the motor even though I was happy with the performance. After finally upgrading my intake/exhaust and adding the Cobra fuel processor I finally removed the JSD ATRE and I'm fully satisfied with the result. I have a soft gravel driveway that's over 1/8th of a mile long and I have no low speed throttle issues. My opinion is... you don't need at ATRE unless you want that extra 15mph on the top end because the processor correcting the low to mid rpm range mixture is the real issue in driveability.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
You should see the improvements that people stated above. So what is next on the mod list? :evil:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm running the Cobra now with just K&N air filters. I noticed a huge difference in performance, wise I would have done this mod sooner.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
I installed my Cobra unit when I just had K&N filters, and it definitely makes the bike smoother. It's hard to explain when it ran fine already, but adding it made it just purr along at just about any speed, slow or fast. Kind of like not using dyna beads in the tires and then adding them, you can't really appreciate the difference until it's in place.

I can take or leave the TRE. Mine pinged with it too, even when using 93 octane fuel and sometimes even with a good dose of octane boost in it. With the GiPro I can switch it off, and I usually had it off. Funny, but after installing another exhaust the pinging went away, even with the TRE turned on. And the new exhaust probably flows better than the older one I had.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You should see the improvements that people stated above. So what is next on the mod list? :evil:
Well I've got all winter, so most of my early mods will be safety based as my wife is scared sh:edit:less about me getting hit, in fact it was a condition on me getting the bike. So next up is a PIAA SuperPlasma GTX(on the way), brake and headlight modulator. Then a nice debaffle, followed by a debeaver and possibly K&N. Probably look at fuel mgmt and ATRE in the spring.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts