M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just wanted to pick a few brains. Have found that whenever I filled up with fuel.The fuel gauge will not read full, usually 2-3 bars off full and will stay at that level even when almost empty. I feel that the fuel sender is reading the wrong resistance. But would like some feed back before bringing to the dealer. The more information I can get the better off we all are. cause lets face it we all have some bad stories about dealers :'(. P.S. love the site and the family feeling found here.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,037 Posts
That's not normal. It usually goes to full then stays there for close to 100 miles before it drops down a bar. The rest of the bars disappear at around 20 to 25 mile intervals after that. Most have reported it being that way.

I'd say your float is either disconnected or it's not being read right.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I don't think i would want to have the stealer to work in it. I would start by taking the tank off and opening up the tank. You will have to take the pump out to get to the float...It snaps in and out so its not hard to get the float out..As your working i would check to see if it moves freely before you take it out. I'd check the plug to see if its in all the way. IF all looks good and can't find anything wrong i would put it back together to see if it works right. IF not then i would take it in to the stealers. If you don't do your own work on the bike i would take it in if its new. There are test for it also if you have the repair book to see if it has a steady reading from top to bottom.
The sender in the tank could be bad or the float isn't moving freely.

Good luck.

·
Radio Active Member
27,687 Posts
I would think that you have a bad float assembly. Most are like Zoom stated. But your does not even show full once filled up. If the bike is less then a year old. take it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. I adjusted my float a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If its that easy to pull the float out I would look up what its supposed to put out (service manual should say). Then pull it out and check it myself with a multimeter. Replace it if its bad or fix it yourself and save the labor costs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the help. very easy to take apart and test. the resistance is out on the float assembly. You can not buy just the float assembly you got to buy the fuel pump assembly!! only $538.98 but I got extended warranty. Will it be covered or not will have to find out the hard way. Will post back to let anyone esle who is having the same concern.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Thank you all for the help. very easy to take apart and test. the resistance is out on the float assembly. You can not buy just the float assembly you got to buy the fuel pump assembly!! only $538.98 but I got extended warranty. Will it be covered or not will have to find out the hard way. Will post back to let anyone esle who is having the same concern.:dontknow:
Mine reads full for 100 miles then drops fast! Please tell us what the problem was. It will show up in the SEARCH forum and maybe you can help someone else! Good Luck :bigthumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts