M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had fuel leaking after the bike has sat for about five days?? After bike runs for 3-5 minutes the leak stops. Where is it coming from??  :redfaced:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Fatcat,
My first questions is when was the last time you filled up? I've seen a couple of posts where members had something simular, but it turned out to be overfill...check the search area for clues to your question. Just type in fule over flow, fuel leaks or something of that nature and see what pops up.

Hope all turns out well...

Devilish

·
Registered
775 Posts
your gas tank has an "overfill release" it's basicly a small port that allows overfill gas to drain out before running out on the tank and bike. when i fill up i always stop about an inch below the cap neck.

G

·
:confused: ;)On a trip last week, I was going on back roads no Fuel stops, so i pushed in alittle extra fuel, and moved the bike to go in and take five, when I came out a noticed a leak at first thought it was antifreeze, but it was fuel, upon standing bike up fuel leak stopped. Don't overfill the tank. :read: :p

·
Registered
106 Posts
i posted this a couple of weeks ago "puddle of gas". It's now happened twice to me. Both times
i had less then a 1/2 tank of gas. It seemed to be leaking from behind the left airfilter. took it off
and could not find source. Doesn't leak much but I don't want it to leak at all.

I now have the small coolant leak as well. Taking it to the dealership as soon as the cold weather
hits.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
yea i have been noticing it coming from both sides but more from the left side so i will ask are you making sure the kill switch is off i have not been paying much attention which i was told that is something you need to make sure is shut off so i know it is off this time and i am going to keep a eye on it and see what happens if it keeps happening i will be talking with my dealer to see if it is something stupid. Let me know what you fine out if anything and i will keep in form..........the funny part of this is i see the fuel on the casings but still have not seen where from the air cleaner it is coming from............... :read:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Could be the bolts holding the fuel pump in the bottom the tank being a little loose and letting it leak around it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Brawler said:
i posted this a couple of weeks ago "puddle of gas". It's now happened twice to me. Both times
i had less then a 1/2 tank of gas. It seemed to be leaking from behind the left airfilter. took it off
and could not find source. Doesn't leak much but I don't want it to leak at all.
Same here. had almost a "empty" tank. plus the bike sits in garage where the "sun" hits it for about a hour during the day. no leak since then.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i am beginning to think that the leak is somehow related to temperature. I have had the same problem even when the tank has one slash showing on the gas gauge. Now that the weather has cooled in my area, I have not had any problems. If you do a search please view the poll on this question so we can find out how many people are having the problem

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
mine has never leaked whether it was full to the brim or not plus we had temps over a hundred for the whole month of august.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Have you checked the quick release snap fitting for the gas line to the tank? This connection is real handy, but it sure seems like it could leak easily to me. It's not a very positive lock system as far as the throw to make the connection and how tight it seems to make the connection. Just worries me a bit.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My bike just sat for a month... I started it today and let it idle for about 5 minutes... I started smelling gas.. and saw a puddle of gas forming under the bike... I hurried to turn it off , but it died before I could. Looks like a line popped off.

Anyone have any clues...?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Mine dripped a few drops when it was real cold outside , only did it twice...when the bike warms it stopped (about 2 mins). If it does it again...I gonna take it in.

Kinda wierd.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
Mine dripped a few drops when it was real cold outside , only did it twice...when the bike warms it stopped (about 2 mins). If it does it again...I gonna take it in.

Kinda wierd.
sounds like one of the o-rings on the several quick connect fittings from the tank down to the injectors. they tend to get a little hard with the cold weather, I think NASA had the same problems.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I haven't had a problem with leaking but I've found that if I fill even the slightest amount past the bottom of the filler neck I end up with fuel dribbling out from under the chrome speedo surround and running down the left side of the tank. On the plus side the first time it happened saved me from getting booked :bigthumbsup:

Just filled up and with my mates close behind, turned onto 1 of my fav bits of road. Had just finished warming the tyres up and was about to get stuck in when I noticed fuel running down the tank, so I slowed up to check it out. Worked out what it was and was cursing the overfill when I decided to get stuck in but as I lifted my head 3 :cop: on bikes came past. I've never been so pleased to have fuel running down my tank :a20:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
mustaffa69 said:
I haven't had a problem with leaking but I've found that if I fill even the slightest amount past the bottom of the filler neck I end up with fuel dribbling out from under the chrome speedo surround and running down the left side of the tank. On the plus side the first time it happened saved me from getting booked :bigthumbsup:

Just filled up and with my mates close behind, turned onto 1 of my fav bits of road. Had just finished warming the tyres up and was about to get stuck in when I noticed fuel running down the tank, so I slowed up to check it out. Worked out what it was and was cursing the overfill when I decided to get stuck in but as I lifted my head 3 :cop: on bikes came past. I've never been so pleased to have fuel running down my tank :a20:
mines never leaked either but when I have filled it up past the neck the next time I wash it I see that rainbow sheen from fuel mixing with water coming out from under the speedo housing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I two experienced the fuel leak 3X, Left side under the air cleaner. Wiped it off and it stopped. Was cold out ans sat for days. The coolant leak was the infamous hose between the heads, top clamp was loose. This was at 3517 miles.

I think the fuel leak maybe cold related but I don't use the bike everday like when it was warm out. Someone mentioned an "o" ring leaking the fuel. Search on this. JOHN

1 - 20 of 23 Posts