M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I been noticing when I start my bike in the morning, gas is leaking from the left air breather. Bike still runs fine and leak goes away. Is this normal or should I take it back to the dealer? :confused:

·
Registered
721 Posts
It will be fine if you dont mind your left leg, and that side of the bike flaming down the road....
Might look purty at night :bigthumbsup:

G

·
I would not mess around with that. As was stated, you could wind up with your bike on fire or worse. Sounds like something minor to fix, but I would definately find the problem and fix it. JMO

·
Registered
254 Posts
What you have most likely is a loose bottom seal  under your tank. As it leaks when you're parked it collects to the left due to the kickstand. Remove seat and check for excessive gas collection. Remove bolt retaining tank, slide back and elevate to see. 5 Allen bolts tighten bottom to tank.

Put out cigarette first

·
Registered
450 Posts
dicarlos said:
What you have most likely is a loose bottom seal under your tank. As it leaks when you're parked it collects to the left due to the kickstand. Remove seat and check for excessive gas collection. Remove bolt retaining tank, slide back and elevate to see. 5 Allen bolts tighten bottom to tank.

Put out cigarette first
come on you talk like you had your tank off. have you :joke: :joke:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I say take it back also.. but given that its leaking fuel, do the safe thing and trailer it back.. Don't need anyone from the boards imitating Ghost Rider before the movie is even in the theaters 8) :joke:

G

·
:eek: ya the ghost rider thing wouldn't be such a wonderful idea,

Looking at the service manual :read: and past the fuel feed hose inspection it looks like this could be ugly I'd defiantly take it back to the dealer, that is unless you are good at taking things apart and putting them back together.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can tighten it in 5 minutes or trailer it and wait forever for the dealer to do it. It's a comfort and confidence thing. The mechanical guros on this site would cut their heads off before wasting thier precious time with a dealer. The one thing you have going for you is that these things are mass produced and are as consistant as long grain rice. With the 1800 or so members this site has, I've yet to hear anyone prove an ailment that sets them apart from anyone else. I've dealt with my gas leaks and yes I've taken the tank off more times than my old girlfriend's Prom dress.
After lifting up the tank there are 2 connections. A wire harness that comes apart and the fuel line that clips together. Push the red tab and it pops apart. You can then lift the tank right off or just elevate more and tighten the 5 allen screws. Either way good luck.
Enlighten to the fact that this site is probably the most complete source of information, especially for matters related to wear etc. The mechanics at the dealers don't sleep with these things like our gang does. :duck:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
dicarlos said:
The mechanical guros on this site would cut their heads off before wasting thier precious time with a dealer.
Totaly agree on that :bigthumbsup:

dicarlos said:
The mechanics at the dealers don't sleep with these things like our gang does. :duck:
:a20:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got back from a 1 month vacation. I started my m109r w/ ~ 4000 miles and it stalled for the first time. I smelled gas and noticed fuel going over the left air cover. When I tried toi start it again fuel pured out over the cover? I called the dealer, they had not heard of this but I see it is happening to others here. I will pull my tank off and try reconnecting / tightening in hopes of fixing this.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was unable to ride my bike for two weeks. Started it up the other night and there was a strong gas smell for about the first mile and then when I stopped at the next traffic light the smell was gone. There were no visible signs of gas leaking anywhere. Everything seems OK now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts