M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled tank yesterday, and drove 90 miles to see daughter. Gas guage was still showing 4 bars. I knew it should be lower than that, so topped it off at gas station. It took 2.7 gallons. I got home, and guage is showing 4 bars still. Again, it took 2.7 gallons to fill. Is gas guage that far off normally?
I'm guesstimating 30 mpg, so the amount is correct, but the guage shoulda showed half tank, or a little less, correct?
Any guesses, or had the same problem?:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I filled tank yesterday, and drove 90 miles to see daughter. Gas guage was still showing 4 bars. I knew it should be lower than that, so topped it off at gas station. It took 2.7 gallons. I got home, and guage is showing 4 bars still. Again, it took 2.7 gallons to fill. Is gas guage that far off normally?
I'm guesstimating 30 mpg, so the amount is correct, but the guage shoulda showed half tank, or a little less, correct?
Any guesses, or had the same problem?:dontknow:
Yes that is normal. Most people get 90-110 miles on the first bar and then it just starts dropping quick. Mine takes about 2.5 gallons after the first bar drops off.

·
Registered
259 Posts
thats about right thats what mine shows usually around 80 to 90 miles still 4 bars, but it starts dropping rapidly at 3 bars

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not accurate...

Not accurate, but consistent...:agree:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Gauge is absolutely worthless. The fuel light is the only thing that I even really pay attention to. I ALWAYS reset my trip 1 odometer and that is what I go by. I know I get 160 on the tank.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ya, I look at it as more of an extended warning and not an accurate gauge.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
When I swapped tanks out a couple weeks ago, I had to take out the tank float and swap, and that thing only has about 3" movement from full to empty. I too get around 90 miles before it starts moving down.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is that all we get from a full tank, 160 miles? I thought it was more. I too noticed that the first bar lasts long and the remaining 3 are really quick to drop.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Is that all we get from a full tank, 160 miles? I thought it was more. I too noticed that the first bar lasts long and the remaining 3 are really quick to drop.
yup that's it, We bought hot rods, :D

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Figure the tank is 5 gallons and you get 45mpg. You would only really see about 225 if you road it bone dry. Subtract out the 1 gallon reserve and that puts you about 180 before the light. I have gotten 170 all highway, but when you factor in city/highway and wanting to blip that throttle....160. LOL If you mod it, well I have seen 140-160 depending on what type of riding.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guage

I actually read the manual last week, and it said the light starts blinking on with 1.24 gallons left, and comes on full time when .24 gallons left.
I'm on the way home, and the light starts blinking. I'm thinking I'm 30 miles from where I'm gonna fill up. I ride 5 miles and the sign says 36 miles. I keep doing the math in my head, and slow down a bit. I'm 3 miles away, and the light stays on full time. I'm thinking "Oh Crap", I have a quart of gas left, and the offramp is uphill. I pulled in to gas station at 153 miles, and took 4.6 gallons. I'll know better next time.

Yeah, she's a beautiful bike, but I don't wanna push her down the shoulder.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I use the tripmeter religiously, always resetting it when I get gas. It takes all the guesswork out of it. I'm so used to doing that, now it feels like the gas guage to me. I always know the "distance to empty"

The gas guage is **somewhat**(and I use that term loosely) accurate, but i never really use it. Relying on it when gas stations are few and far between can get you into trouble since it tends to surprise you with the rapid drop.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
:agree:, when I first got my 9, I was getting about 45MPG, loved it but the bike ran so lean ( surge ) it drove me crazy. I was going about 120 miles before first bar dissappeared, then the next 4 bars dropped off quicker.
I put a PC-V in and now I get about 35 MPG ( 85 -90 miles before first bar ) I guess I am not going to get great mileage with this bike, I can't keep from twisting the happy handle too much:D:drool:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I actually read the manual last week, and it said the light starts blinking on with 1.24 gallons left, and comes on full time when .24 gallons left.
I'm on the way home, and the light starts blinking. I'm thinking I'm 30 miles from where I'm gonna fill up. I ride 5 miles and the sign says 36 miles. I keep doing the math in my head, and slow down a bit. I'm 3 miles away, and the light stays on full time. I'm thinking "Oh Crap", I have a quart of gas left, and the offramp is uphill. I pulled in to gas station at 153 miles, and took 4.6 gallons. I'll know better next time.

Yeah, she's a beautiful bike, but I don't wanna push her down the shoulder.
Ive rode her till she blinked, and then rode her almost 30 miles blinking, will it actually go a steady light shortly before your pushing?

I like to keep her full but there have been time on longer rides, gas stations werent were they were suppose to be..they were closed down..

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Ive rode her till she blinked, and then rode her almost 30 miles blinking, will it actually go a steady light shortly before your pushing?

I like to keep her full but there have been time on longer rides, gas stations werent were they were suppose to be..they were closed down..
It will go steady, but even that is not an exact science. I have had it go solid alot sooner than that.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts

When you get the blinking light, you have about 1 gallon left. At that point, I start looking for fuel. I have ridden until it was a solid light, but I do not remember how much was left. I would speculate about a 1/2 gallon.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
When you get the blinking light, you have about 1 gallon left. At that point, I start looking for fuel. I have ridden until it was a solid light, but I do not remember how much was left. I would speculate about a 1/2 gallon.
I read lastnight here, about 32oz is all. as per the owners/user manual.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts