M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my guage reads full when tank is full ( duh) but it stays there on full even when I clocked up 150kms.  sometimes it wont move until I;ve done 300k and nearly on fumes and then WHOOM she goes down quicker than hell all the way to 1 bar and flashing icon.  ::)

othertimes I've done 200km and KNOW the guage should read about 2 bars, but its only 1 bar from full  :evil: :evil: :evil:
I've played with the loom at tank and guage connectors thinking a faulty connection is the cause, but  no luck. :(
When I disconnect the battery, or console loom from the bike and then re-connect it shows the correct reading,  and then while I'm riding it slowly creeps up a notch or two.  :confused:
I figure it can only be a faulty float giving incorrect resistance readings to the ecu cause I then reboot rhe ecu and voila, alls good for a little while. :evil:

Anyone else experience this sort of bizarre guage stuff?
thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Re: fuel guage accuracy...mines all over the place like a mad womans breakfast....

Mine is inaccurate also. I'm glad that it slowly goes down so the blinking fuel low light doesn't rear it's ugly head :D

Carl

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Re: fuel guage accuracy...mines all over the place like a mad womans breakfast..

They are all that way. Use your trip meter and learn to trust that. I get at most 35mpg
I like to get fuel around 135 miles or sooner to be safe.

Sledzep

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: fuel guage accuracy...mines all over the place like a mad womans breakfast....

yes the fuel gauge is just a estimate in the 9 so just keep track of your miles. My previous bike had no fuel gauge so i am use to it. I do wish Suzuki would fix the problem.

·
Registered
974 Posts

I must be lucky mine seems atleast around 90% accurate. Except it seems to drop way to fast when im riding solo :evil:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Ya the gauge is odd thats for sure but it is nice none the less.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The bars on mine seem to reflect accurately if the bike is shut off and restarted. Other than that though, they are kind of a crap shoot. I like the yellow blinky though.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
gm2inco said:
The bars on mine seem to reflect accurately if the bike is shut off and restarted. Other than that though, they are kind of a crap shoot. I like the yellow blinky though.
The yellow blinking light is a real catch 22 for me.
If it only blinked a few times and went out, or you could shut it off... I would forget and run out of gas... Glad I have it.
On the other hand, I drive for miles trying to (shut off my blinker) till I get gas...

Sledzep

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gm2inco said:
yep, I get an resonably accurate reading if the bike is shut off and started or if if unhook the harness and rehook it up. Seems the general consensus is the guage is a guesstimate at best. ::)
Back to the 'ol trip meter I guess. :(
I"t'd be nice if when someting is included on a bike ( or car for that matter..) it actually worked though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think the shape of the bottom of the tank has an effect on this. On the sidestand fuel goes toward the left side and the gauge may show a different reading after tilting the bike a bit to the other side (Of course only effective when you have half a tank or less).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charles Darwin said:
I think the shape of the bottom of the tank has an effect on this. On the sidestand fuel goes toward the left side and the gauge may show a different reading after tilting the bike a bit to the other side (Of course only effective when you have half a tank or less).
good point. shoud've been a no brainer to an egineer that was able to design the kick-azz engine we have tho :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I found the problem aur bikes are just so fun to twist the grip on that the fule guage cant keep up :joke: :joke: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would half to test the circuit to be sure but........

A lot of cars and trucks have a "buffer" built in to the fuel level sender circuit, its there so that the fuel guage reacts slowly to changes in the fuel level (ie. fuel slosh, cornering, acceleration and braking). Its likley that our bikes have the same design.

Just a little FYI, hope its helpfull.

Jason

·
Registered
728 Posts
Charles Darwin said:
That is exactly the reason whu the feul gauge reads like that :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I swore mine was perfect when I was under 2000 miles or so. now it is not nearly as accurate, similar to the first post. Trip meter is the thing for sure.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Mine seems ok ....I just figure every 150 miles or so its time ...beats looking in the tank or shaking the bike like most have to do.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mine is the same too
Lucky the blinking light is accurate.
When it stops blinking and comes on all the time you know you'd better find fuel fast.
I managed 310kms (192mls)on one tank.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
most FI'd bikes nowadays don't even come with a fuel gauge they just use a low fuel light. at least that part works very well and like someone else said use the trip meters. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts