M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
okay another thread popped up again so i guess i'll post this even though i wasn't ready to i was waiting til i got my tank off to get a picture of what i came up with fully installed -

this is was done for the C9 , its my understanding the M filter is basically the same but different somehow, this should get you guys on your way and if anyone needs to add anything M specific feel free to do so

supplies needed

broken fuel filter neck
hose clamp(s)
3/8" fuel line 6" long will be more then plenty
3/8 plastic elbow barbed on both ends, that will save you just a little bit of cutting that i had to do ( the one shown is a barbed/threaded elbow but i saw a 3/8 barbed on both ends elbow today at a Tractor Supply I will be using)
one inline fuel filter ( the one pictured will be a MR Gasket just because i picked it up first and didn't know how this was all gonna turn out , if someone wants to recommend a better filter go right ahead)

-----------
first step
will be to trim the broken fuel filter neck to accept the 3/8 fuel line pictured in attachments #1 & #2
I needed to trim the filter neck to accept the fuel line and use that as a mounting point because I got frustrated trying to secure the fuel line directly to the pump

second step
remount the filter neck to the pump and clamp on a short length of the 3/8 fuel line as per attachment #3

third step
assemble the 3/8 plastic elbow, a short length of fuel line & the fuel filter as per attachment #4 & #5

fourth step
place the elbow/filter assembly inside the black rubber sloshbox the original filter was in & then stick the other end of the plastic elbow into the length of hose from the modified broken fuel filter neck ---- no pictures of this yet I will post them when i get them after i get the tank off again,but if ya made it this far I think you can manage

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
:bigthumbsup:

I have been planning a very similar system when the time comes to replace my filter.

It is almost like you read my mind.

:D;)

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
Awesome, thanks for coming up with this. I'm sure that will save a lot of folks quite a few bucks. It may not draw the fuel down as low in the tank but that could be a good thing too, not as much crap to pick up. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Absolutely awesome that someone finally came up with a fix for this that does not require a $50.00 filter from Suzuki.

I was thinking along the same lines, but was waiting until mine needs replacing again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Great ingenuity Bigg, question...You mentioned to use fuel line for obvious reasons but do we have to worry about the outer sheath of the line being broken down by the fuel or are both the outer and inner sheath of the fuel line resistant to fuel degredation?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Couldn't an elbow, or another piece of fuel line be attached to the opposite end of the filter and attached somehow to get it lower for fuel pickup? I'm sure the range difference will not be that much different, but one would want to experiment close to a station as the gauge got lower to see where it actually cuts out. Once the gauge gets down to the dregs, hang around town and see where the cutoff point is. It may not be the same as the gauge indicates now.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could'nt an elbow, or another piece of fuel line be attached to the opposite end of the filter and attached somehow to get it lower for fuel pickup? I'm sure the range difference will not be that much different, but one would want to experiment close to a station as the gauge got lower to see where it actually cuts out. Once the gauge gets down to the dregs, hang around town and see where the cutoff point is. It may not be the same as the gauge indicates now.
i have been thinking about adding an extra little piece of hose to the end of the filter sticking out of the bottom of the sloshbox to get a little extra range out of the tank , not sure how much difference its gonna make

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great ingenuity Bigg, question...You mentioned to use fuel line for obvious reasons but do we have to worry about the outer sheath of the line being broken down by the fuel or are both the outer and inner sheath of the fuel line resistant to fuel degredation?
I think it should be okay not rotting out the outside of hose, if it does break down at all it shouldn't happen too quickly. I hope to remember to double check the whole set-up before i take a multi-state trip on the C the last week of May. I will have a better idea of the durability of the hose then

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Very happy to see you got it done , it just kills me that they can charge So much for a filter and get it !!
i see many people go for 75000 miles and dont change a car fuel filter and it dont cost this much ,unfreakinbelievable

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
okay i got a picture of it mounted onto the fuel pump and almost contained in the sloshbox, the filter I used is 4" long so I am sure with just a little bit of research a good hi-flo filter that is shorter will fit completely

I have run a few tanks of gas thru this set-up past the point of teh low fuel light blinking, 1 tank took 3.9X gallons and this past tank i ran even farther after the light came on but, haven't filled up yet to know how low it is . So for me thats good , I wasn't brave enough with even the stock filter to be trying to squeezing the last drop out of the tank.

after i hooked this up i became a little concerned that the 90* elbow might restrict fuel flow a little bit and cause some issues , FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY , I squeezed in a few runs at W.F.O.Throttle and had no issues with fuel starvation :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update,

still no issues running this set-up have ran the tank as low as 4.25 gallons to fill, I wouldn't voluntarily run it any lower even with a stock fuel strainer

I also have the full boatload with pipes, intake & BULLY fuel controller set on Stage 3 and it flows plenty of fuel to feed the beast

this winter when I have the bike down for a full winter go over and maintenece I'll look around some for a different filter ,but, I dont think its needed just something so it looks like a cleaner install and to start changing it as part of my yearly checklist

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Thinking it might be a good Idea to get hold of a nice strong magnet that can be attached to the end of that filter to keep it way down low in the tank. Maybe extend the hose a little so you can route it along the bottom!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thinking it might be a good Idea to get hold of a nice strong magnet that can be attached to the end of that filter to keep it way down low in the tank. Maybe extend the hose a little so you can route it along the bottom!
the length of rubber hoses I used where just long enough that when the plastic fittings were inserted they touch or just about touched and didn't leave any slack to allow the filter to hinge up and float, and keeping it in the sloshbox helped make sure the inlet end didn't wanna float up.

as for using a hose to extend it to reach the bottom of the tank,
a) with the filter popped out the end of the sloshbox its already at a lower level then the opening at the top of box that would feed the stock filter, however it may not act as a liquid accumulator to feed the filter/pump at extreme lean and low tank levels. but as mentioned i've run it as low as needing 4.25 gallons with no starvation issues
b) when I had my first filter get clogged and start causing me issues it happened quickly and what I believe was one tank of bad gas , and when i pulled it apart to check the filter had some sediment in the tank & I would rather stay a lil higher then the very bottom to help not suck that in so easily

------
if anyone has tinkered with this and come up with a variation or anything that might help improve it PLEASE post

·
Registered
10 Posts
?

On the end of the filter is it open or plugged? And do you really need the 90 dgree elbow or can you just put hose on filter? 3/8 hose pretty thick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds Like a good idea?? But!!!

Is a standard inline fuel filter designed to be submerged?? Aren't you worried about corrosion?? And the fuel hose will break down over time. Let us know if you have any issues please.

Thank you.

okay another thread popped up again so i guess i'll post this even though i wasn't ready to i was waiting til i got my tank off to get a picture of what i came up with fully installed -

this is was done for the C9 , its my understanding the M filter is basically the same but different somehow, this should get you guys on your way and if anyone needs to add anything M specific feel free to do so

supplies needed

broken fuel filter neck
hose clamp(s)
3/8" fuel line 6" long will be more then plenty
3/8 plastic elbow barbed on both ends, that will save you just a little bit of cutting that i had to do ( the one shown is a barbed/threaded elbow but i saw a 3/8 barbed on both ends elbow today at a Tractor Supply I will be using)
one inline fuel filter ( the one pictured will be a MR Gasket just because i picked it up first and didn't know how this was all gonna turn out , if someone wants to recommend a better filter go right ahead)

-----------
first step
will be to trim the broken fuel filter neck to accept the 3/8 fuel line pictured in attachments #1 & #2
I needed to trim the filter neck to accept the fuel line and use that as a mounting point because I got frustrated trying to secure the fuel line directly to the pump

second step
remount the filter neck to the pump and clamp on a short length of the 3/8 fuel line as per attachment #3

third step
assemble the 3/8 plastic elbow, a short length of fuel line & the fuel filter as per attachment #4 & #5

fourth step
place the elbow/filter assembly inside the black rubber sloshbox the original filter was in & then stick the other end of the plastic elbow into the length of hose from the modified broken fuel filter neck ---- no pictures of this yet I will post them when i get them after i get the tank off again,but if ya made it this far I think you can manage

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Is a standard inline fuel filter designed to be submerged?? Aren't you worried about corrosion?? And the fuel hose will break down over time. Let us know if you have any issues please.

Thank you.
Most inline filters are good for being submerged, the material is the same on the inside as it is on the outside. I've ran an all plastic one for years on my Mean Streak with no issues.
I used DOT Fuel line from an 18-Wheeler store, made by goodyear I think, and it was good over 6 years in the tank.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
My current filter is starting to go. Bike starts running bad when two bars are showing on the gauge. Although I normally never let it get that low, occasionally I do. So I may be doing this mod in the next few weeks. Need to go and find me a good filter this weekend. Then take it from there.

The current price for a new filter from Suzuki is almost $70.00. F THAT! For a fricken filter.

In nine years owning this bike, not once have I seen the low fuel lights. When the bike was stock, rode 192 miles once and didn't see the low fuel lights. As it is now, with pipe, intake and tuner, no way it'll do that again. LOL

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Maybe the low fuel light isn't working ... LOL.
Oh it's working. All the lights come on during the system self test when the key is turned. I've just never had less than two bars showing on the fuel gauge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts