M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so I have worked on my bikes all my life and can re-build CRF450R motors among other mechanical challenges. The oil change on my 9 almost threw me into a different religion. It wasn't the actual changing the oil part but trying to create a better access to the oil filter by removing the lower radiator body parts.
I know I could have changed the filter without removing this center (black) body part that covers the filter but it became a "man challenge"!
I never got it totally removed (so it kicked my ass!) but I was able to get my torque wrench on my filter to tighten to specs. After buttoning it back up I wound up with a rubber grommet that I cannot seem to locate its correct place on the bike.
Was this just a knuckle headed dumb approach on my part or has anyone else encountered the same frustration?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I think it was a "knuckle headed" approach. Torquing of the oil filter is not that critical. As long as you give it a half turn after it snugs up it will not come loose.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
From what I read

Both side covers are screwed to that middle bottom piece, The whole thing needs to come off as a unit. I just did my oil and the filter was a little challenge but I did not have to take any body parts off at all. Just used one finger to hold the new filter in place and the other to tighten it snug, then filter band wrench to tighten it. I found putting the bike on my bike lift and raising it up helped a lot.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I reaD

2 full turns after it makes contact. I got 1/4 turn in the space that was there. 8 pulls and I had my 2 turns LOL Didn't hear about a "torque" just 2 turns.
It sounds like the reason he did it this way was to be able to torque the filter to specs.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
2 full turns after it makes contact. I got 1/4 turn in the space that was there. 8 pulls and I had my 2 turns LOL Didn't hear about a "torque" just 2 turns.
That is what my manual states and how I do it. You need to get the oil cap for it as it is tight.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
:eek::eek::eek: You tried to do what?

Just lay on your back on the ground and put your filter wrench on the filter and pull the darn thing off. That's all I did and it was no big deal.

The only stress about oil changes on these bikes is not getting an accurate "full" reading on the stick 1/2 the times :dontknow:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I went to autozone and bought a filter wrench just for the oil change on the bike. Of course it was too big. I went to Wally world and bought a set of strap wrenches. They fit but I could barely move them around. I finally just stabbed the filter with a screw driver then did a hand tighten when I was done. Oil change on this bike = the sucks.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
As for getting the filter off, I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center black piece in the approximate position of filter center. Then insert ratchet extension through hole, put in cup-style filter remover and remove filter.

Reverse that process for re-installing the filter. No problem at all, and the 1/2" hole in the black piece is below eye level, so no one will see it unless they examine it real close. If you do a clean job drilling it and de-burring it, it looks like Suzuki intended it being there for filter access.:bigthumbsup:

If your not overly anal about your bike, a 1/2" hole is really a no-brainer. When I went to change the oil the first time, that is the first thing that popped into my head within one minute of starting the process.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I went to autozone and bought a filter wrench just for the oil change on the bike. Of course it was too big. I went to Wally world and bought a set of strap wrenches. They fit but I could barely move them around. I finally just stabbed the filter with a screw driver then did a hand tighten when I was done. Oil change on this bike = the sucks.
As for getting the filter off, I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center black piece in the approximate position of filter center. Then insert ratchet extension through hole, put in cup-style filter remover and remove filter.
Guys I bought the attached style oil filter wrench. Then I used a hack saw and cut the handle down so that I can wrench it without putting the bike on the lift. It works great and as was mentioned above don't overtighten the new filter when you put it on.

Speaking of filters just simply upgrade to a K&N filter for 2 reasons: Quality & they all come with a standard ratchet attachment which makes them much easier to get off. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
You don't need to remove anything in order to remove the filter. If you can't loosen it by hand or get a filter wrench on it, you can use a pair of channel locks to loosen it. Putting on the new one is even easier. Tighten it as tight as you can get it by hand, it will be plenty tight, and you'll never overtighten it this way.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I just take mine to the Dealer that I trust close to St. Louis. They fixed my overfill problem from the other dealer in Illinois when I bought 9 new. It is worth it to me to have them do it. It is pretty cheap and it's only every 3500 miles. I have no problem changing oil on my Nissan Xterra but the M109 seems to be a bit tricky. So I keep some guy employeed at the hometown Zukie dealer. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
960 Posts
It is pretty cheap and it's only every 3500 miles. :bigthumbsup:
What are you charged? My dealer charges $150 JUST FOR THE 109.

·
Registered
595 Posts
What are you charged? My dealer charges $150 JUST FOR THE 109.
$150 for an oil change?!?!? Well played Mr. Dealer!!! LOL :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Truthfully, When I put my filter wrench on the filter there was little room for the ratchet. I decided to simply (ha ha!) remove the center black body piece to make it a little easier. I mean..it looks like it was designed to come off for filter access. That is when it became a "Man Challenge"! It was becoming clear to me that I may have to remove the tank to achieve my goal.
Next oil change will be different, and no, it wasn't that I had to put a torque wrench on it as much as it seemed easier to me than the two-turn method. The manual gives both options. Torque at 14.5 ft.lbs. (seems a little high after doing it)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Truthfully, When I put my filter wrench on the filter there was little room for the ratchet. I decided to simply (ha ha!) remove the center black body piece to make it a little easier. I mean..it looks like it was designed to come off for filter access. That is when it became a "Man Challenge"! It was becoming clear to me that I may have to remove the tank to achieve my goal.
Next oil change will be different, and no, it wasn't that I had to put a torque wrench on it as much as it seemed easier to me than the two-turn method. The manual gives both options. Torque at 14.5 ft.lbs. (seems a little high after doing it)
I'm tellin' ya, you don't need to remove all that junk to change your filter. You're just creating more work for yourself. Put the filter wrench away and just loosen the filter with a pair of channel locks. It's gonna mar up the filter a bit, but who cares, you're replacing it. I just changed my oil a couple of weeks ago and all I did was pull the drain plugs and remove the filter. Simple.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I use the screw driver and hammer approach for removal. You gonna use it again?:dontknow:

Once it starts turning I finish with my hand. To install new one I lightly apply new oil to the filter seal with my finger. Screw it on ,and tighten with my hand. When it gets to the point I can't turn any more I grab it as hard as I can and twist. When it doesn't move, it's tight.

Don't make a filter change too hard on yourself.:eek: Been doing it like this since I started working on vehicles. It won't come off. If it was going to come of then you could of just removed it with your hand.;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts