M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since a post. I just got this info via email and thought I'd share. Might come in handy to some.

Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective
test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................. 238 pounds

PB Blaster ..............214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

·
Registered
367 Posts
goo info man thanks

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thanks... useful info

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
I read that a year or two ago and have a can of it mixed up. It does seem to work, but you have to be careful where you use it. The acetone in it will strip paint or at the least dull it, so be careful where you apply it. The other types won't hurt paint.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My knuckles thank you, and I thank you. Anyone know if the acetone evaporates very easily from the ATF mix? I sometimes keep those kind of things in the old plastic mustard jars with the screw open tops.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts