M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm a little confused on the front tire issue. I have an E3 rear on it's way, and I'll probably order a new front soon. I've read some posts that say not to mix brands, so I guess I'd rather stay with the Dunlop.

I know jack about tires sizes, so which Dunlop will work on the front? I seen than someone used and Avon Storm, but I can't find the storm in a 160/60.

I guess I'd like to go with either a 150 or 160. But it seems like most that I find are 150/70 or 160/80. I take those won't work right?

Any help??

·
Registered
277 Posts
New tires

I got the metzler 160/60 front and 260/40 rear and I am loving them. They completely changed the handling of the bike and I couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Dunlop Roadsmart 160-60-18 vr

There's lots of good tires out there, but this is the one I'm running with my E-3, both Dunlops:
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=101
I did raise my front fender 3/4 inch since it was so tight. This tire is apparently larger then some others of the same demensions. It sure takes bumps well. Edit: I meant zr rated

·
Registered
735 Posts
Elite 3 Dunnies

Just make sure that you increase the air pressure on the Elite 3's that require more air pressure than the stockers. Carry 40 in the front and between 43 and 45 in the rear tire. I run the 130/70/18 and think next time I am going with the 250 over the 240/40/18. everyone claims big improvements with Metzelers but that big improvement comes at a pretty good price over what you pay for the Dunnies. The Motorcycle superstore on the internet has them with free shipping for around $288. I guarantee you won't find any set of Metzelers for that price.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I ordered the D251 more expensive then the metz 160 rear, but I just couldnt bring my self to running a rear backwards.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, these are on the stock, albeit, chromed rims.

Are you running these on the stocker rims???
My Suzuki garage in Oklahoma city was very wary of mounting them, especially the 160 on the front.

(Yes, it is mounted backwards as Metzler says it should be.)

But when I went to pick it up the mechanic is all "DUDE! IT LOOK'S FREAKIN' AWESOME!"

And the handling is much better than the stock tires. Won't go back.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Yeah.. after Second guessing and looking at probably most thread.. I was still as confused :-\ so I just dove right in and got the Metz 160 (running backwards) for the front while still using the 250 Dunnie for rear..

Love it.. and like when you first get any bike.. you'll need to get used to it.. first few twisties :bigthumbsup: dont think you'll be dissapointed. Just run a bit more Poundage in tire.. Im running 42-43 Lbs in front

1 - 14 of 14 Posts