M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking this towing unit out. Does anyone know if it will damage anything if I dont remove the drive shaft?

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do it. Looks unsafe and maybe a lot of pressure on the neck bearings not to mention the back of the bike coming off the ground in the event of hitting large bumps.

·
Registered
709 Posts
:agree::agree:I can see a cracked frame in your future if you do this. It's actually even more dangerous with any "not obvious" stress fractures around the welds that could develop. IMHO.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might be right. Just started tinking of the weight being applied to the neck when the rear wheel hits bumps.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
I wouldn't use it either, for the reasons mentioned above. With the drive shaft on you're turning a lot of parts in the transmission that won't be getting lubed, plus it looks like it would be hard on the bike.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
There's no way I'd tow my bike like that. Even if it was the POS pictured.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
There is NO WAY in gods green earth would I do that with my 9!!! NOT GONNA HAPPEN IN THIS LIFE TIME!!! Nor would I suggest it!!! But good luck with that

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I was checking this towing unit out. Does anyone know if it will damage anything if I dont remove the drive shaft?

I just put mine in the back of the truck. I feel safer with it there. A lot of things could go wrong with towing in that fashion. But that's just me.......

·
Registered
420 Posts
I wouldnt do this,cant be good on your bike. You could rent a trailer from uhaul, or borrow one. I think it would be much safer to trailer, to much stuff on the road pot holes, and who knows what on the road that could fly up and tear your bike up.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I just put mine in the back of the truck. I feel safer with it there. A lot of things could go wrong with towing in that fashion. But that's just me.......
Hey nemo didn't yours fall over in the back of a truck? :joke::joke:

No way I would tow mine like that. :eek::eek:

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Yes, it could
If you turn only the rear wheel without the engine running the secondary gears and all the gears on both the front and rear transmission shafts will be turning as well (they are constant mesh).

There will no oil pumped into any of those areas and you will, eventually, cause some damage to something.

Because the Harley has a separate transmission that runs in it's own fluid (at least for most, maybe not the V-rod), then you can turn the back wheel all you want and the gears will be running in fluid since there is no oil pumped into the Harley tranny (almost positive of that).

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Hey nemo didn't yours fall over in the back of a truck? :joke::joke:

No way I would tow mine like that. :eek::eek:
HAHA No the ramp shot out and the 9 fell straight down. It fell over when i picked that heavy $itch up and pushed it in the truck. I thought the kickstand would stay down and sit on it, well the kickstand got knocked back up and the beast was just a tad to heavy to hold up, standing on the ground LOL. Put a nice dent in the tank, Had it changed out in a month......

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
This "hitch" has been posted up here before with what do you think. I would not do it to my 9.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts