M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hot off the press I called metzler about running the 160/60 18 rear on the front and they said no way not to run on the front tire said to go to a 140 70 18 which is a front tire that they would not accept the liabilty if something happens with 160/60 18 I would like to know the name of the represenative of metzler that said it would be ok to run it in reverse. I know everyone is doing it but they say it is not safe because of the tire design being for the back. i wanted to run the 160 up front but they say it is not safe need more input or the name of the rep to talk to that said it was thanks.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
This is from metzlers website .

Q: When running a rear tire on the front of my bike (160/60/R18 etc.), do I have to run the tire in reverse?
A: Yes! The tire should be mounted in reverse! (directional arrow, tracking the OPPOSITE way) This quote is right off the Metzler web-site:
Rear tires can be mounted at front wheels?
When producing tires, the top cap is heated with an angle bump on the carcass. To prevent the detachment of the assembled edges the tire has to be mounted (concerning the main stress: acceleration force at the rear wheel or wheel brake force at the front) corresponding to the respective declaration.
Therefore the declaration of the driving direction at the tires sidewall is a very important safety regard and has to be noticed absolute. It is not allowed to mount front tires at rear wheels.
In case you intend to mount a rear tire on a front wheel it has to be assembled contrary to the driving direction declaration (direction of the arrow at the tires sidewall). Please observe the standards in your country. In any doubts we kindly ask you to consult your dealer.
160/60 Front

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Here is your link

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/products/technology/faq/default.page

just click on #3 and it will answer your questions. The pros say you will be good to go, but I believe the guys that have run this setup and are happy with it. I found the same info posted by Avon, but I am having trouble tracking it down. But I saw it with my own eyes and will be ordering a Avon Storm 160/60/18.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Rear tires can be mounted at front wheels?
When producing tires, the top cap is heated with an angle bump on the carcass. To prevent the detachment of the assembled edges the tire has to be mounted (concerning the main stress: acceleration force at the rear wheel or brake force at the front wheel) corresponding to the respective declaration.
Therefore the declaration of the driving direction at the tires� sidewall is a very important safety regard and has to be noticed absolute. It is not allowed to mount front tires at rear wheels.
In case you intend to mount a rear tire on a front wheel it has to be assembled contrary to the driving direction declaration (direction of the arrow at the tires� sidewall). Please observe the standards in your country. In any doubts we kindly ask you to consult your dealer.

I've run mine reversed for over a year now. 12,000+ miles later, I'll continue the phat front trend whenever it's time to retread.

-Josh

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stand corrected read the link that hink put up but when I called metzler they said no way to run it like that so i'm going to get the 160 and be happy thanks all. I know its been a sore subject for a long time on this matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts