M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which size of fornt tire should I get for rear 260 metzeler?
(!!STOCK RIMS!!). And also... should I get reinforced version or regular one? I am thinking about this :
ME 880 Marathon 140/70 - 18 73H reinf TL

but I am not sure about it... should I get wider (160? or..?) and with or without reinforcement?

Thanx fellas

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
160 60 18 metz ME880 v rated . I spoke with a great guy (pegasus) and I think this is the best mod I have done ! it really smooths out the monster !

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you men by ,, v rated " ... sorry...i am from non-english country... (Iceland and Czech Republic ) ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
But Metzeler´s website says, that 160 is for the rear wheel... is it gonna make some troubles while turning or not? There is 140 Metzeler and they says that it is for front... so help help meeee (I am not from USA, so I have to curve oftenly...I would prefer cruising on the straight roads, but... Europe is diferent in this way :-\)...

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/cat...eType=MOTO&menu_item=/products/catalog/custom

·
Registered
913 Posts
The 160 is a rear tire. If you get this, all you have to do is mount in the opposite direction of the directional arrow on the tire. You have to mount it backwards. No other mods necessary. You will be fine going with the 160.

140 is the largest front tire Metz makes. Either tire you will be fine with.

I currently have a metz 280 rear and metz 140 front. When my front wears out, I'm thinking about going to the 160.

So go with whatever size you feel the best with. Both will do well in the twisties in Europe!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
367 Posts
the 160 fits fine on the stock rim??? does it affect handiling???

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanx for help :bigthumbsup:. Can I have one more question? Why just to mount it backwards? Because of water grooves or...?
You have to mount it backward b/c of the radial belts in the construction of the tire. Running it forward can cause an imbalance in the tire.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I run a 160/60 metz I run it in reverse the only difference I found that the bike is slower in response in turns Meaning the it doesn't lean over as quick as it did when I had the 130 keep that in mind when making your turns this is just one man's opinion and every one's riding style is different!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I run a 160/60 metz I run it i reverse the only difference I found that the bike is slower in response in turns Meaning the it doesn't lean over as quick as it did when I had the 130 keep that in mind when making your turns this is just one man's opinion and every one's riding style is different!!
Thats b/c you have 30mm more to lean over, thats equilvlant to 2 more inches you have to move. 2" may not be a lot, but it is when we are talking rubber. If you want a more responsive tire, you need to go slimmer. Think about it, how many race track bikes ( not drag bikes ) have big tires? The answer is and will always be, NONE.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts