M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have leaky front fork seals? The right side on mine has begun the drain and it is only the start of the riding season. I haven't seen any threads on this issue and eventually someone is going to find the oily substance on the front rotors. It started as a small black ring on the "antifriction metal" portion of the forks and after cleaning it up a couple of times it has progressed onto a dripping mess. Has anyone else run into this? What seems to be the cause? I'm replacing the leakers and will be over anal about keeping them clean. Are there any add on covers for this section of the forks? This is one job I don't like and I don't want to do it again any time soon.

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
One local riders was leaking, but he had it covered under warranty. There have not been many if any posts on this issue that I can recall. Special tools are required to change the seals. It would be a lot cheaper if you pull the forks off and take them in to be done. Best of luck.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
It came up just a week ago. It doesn't show up often but you do see it once in a while.

Here's the thread with some hints on how to fix it on the bike. Good luck!

leaking fork seal

As far as keeping it from happening, they do make fork covers or gators that you might be able to retrofit. The front fender does a decent job of stopping bugs and suck, but an errant rock could still nick it, especially from the inside.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ryno, I've searched and found a few posts dated years ago about some seals leaking. I looked at the manual and saw that special tool to hold the cartridge still as you loosen the nut, I may be able to find something or borrow the tool or tools. Will look at the instructions again and see what I need. Is there any cover for the tube to prevent this again? Not a job I want to do again. I've done this before on other bikes and still don't like it. I also notice a quick fix of running thin plastic just under the seal to loosen possible debris and wonder how effective this has been. I don't see any dings in the tubes so it my be worth a try. I'll post up a "after" when it's dry again and let people know the outcome. Just looking for some tips and tricks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It came up just a week ago. It doesn't show up often but you do see it once in a while.

Here's the thread with some hints on how to fix it on the bike. Good luck!

leaking fork seal

As far as keeping it from happening, they do make fork covers or gators that you might be able to retrofit. The front fender does a decent job of stopping bugs and suck, but an errant rock could still nick it, especially from the inside.
Dang! Just a moment before mine! Thanks Zoom! Know where to find the covers?

·
Registered
219 Posts
forks

Hey Bro just a warning, be sure to inspet your tubes. My seals leeked then when I went to fix them I realized the tubes were all scratched up and now I need new fork tubes!! Make sure you inspect and clean everything real good, I still dont know what got in mine and scratched my tubes all up, and on top of that the ends where chromed so I'm out some major cash. Good luck, fellow NMexican!

·
Registered
81 Posts
my right was leaking , took both apart and brought to a suzuki shop to get them resealed he said 40$ plus parts. not bad .he said you need special tools to change seals.looks like its going to be 1 or 2 weeks at most. at least its raining

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Bro just a warning, be sure to inspet your tubes. My seals leeked then when I went to fix them I realized the tubes were all scratched up and now I need new fork tubes!! Make sure you inspect and clean everything real good, I still dont know what got in mine and scratched my tubes all up, and on top of that the ends where chromed so I'm out some major cash. Good luck, fellow NMexican!
Sorry to hear about the loss. Mine aren't chromed yet. I have tried a little trick that I learned here and on another board to try to remove the debris under the seal. If it works then the work will be done later. I lifted mine until the front wheel was off the ground and checked the tubes, ok so far. I just need to pay closer attention to the bug splatter I think.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to look for or build some tube covers for mine so I don't have to worry about wiping the things every time I get on and off. I'll repost as I progress.

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
my right was leaking , took both apart and brought to a suzuki shop to get them resealed he said 40$ plus parts. not bad .he said you need special tools to change seals.looks like its going to be 1 or 2 weeks at most. at least its raining
WOW, that is a GREAT deal!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
follow-up

I said I would follow up as I progressed. I cleaned the tubes using the plastic under the seal trick. I took a nestle water bottle and cut the top off just where it widens the most and split it lengthwise. I then slid the wide end with the corner first under the seal and spun the plastic a few times s-l-o-w-l-y. After treating both sides, I cleaned up the forks and drove it. It continued to leak, a little worse than before, and I cleaned them off, BUT after cleaning them off after and before every ride for a couple of days the seals have stopped leaking. I had resigned myself to replace them and was going to let them leak until I had time, but they are not leaking now! I do clean them BEFORE every ride and I think that helps. YEAH!! No more leaky seals!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts