M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken off their front fork tube brackets where the axle and caliber bolts to off and had them sent out to be chromed?

·
Registered
219 Posts
fork tubes

You have to remove the whole fork tube from the fork cylinders. This will involve draining the fork oil from the cylinders then removing the entire fork from the triple tree. I guess it's not exactly a piece of cake job but it's not that hard, there are some really good discriptions on her here how to do it. If I could do it, I would think anyone can. Just be sure to have right tools and take your time. Also be aware you will want to replace the fork seals. Unless you have the right tools you will have to take fork tubes in to have them replace the oil and set them up for you again. Cost me a little over a hundred bucks. Good luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
You have to remove the whole fork tube from the fork cylinders. This will involve draining the fork oil from the cylinders then removing the entire fork from the triple tree. I guess it's not exactly a piece of cake job but it's not that hard, there are some really good discriptions on her here how to do it. If I could do it, I would think anyone can. Just be sure to have right tools and take your time. Also be aware you will want to replace the fork seals. Unless you have the right tools you will have to take fork tubes in to have them replace the oil and set them up for you again. Cost me a little over a hundred bucks. Good luck!
Do ya leave the mounts pressed on the shock cylinder shaft for the chroming process?

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you mean the fork tubes, yes the fork leg (lower bracket that holds caliper) and the tube all stay together as one piece. When you have it chromes they wrap the tube and just chrome the leg and they come out sweet! So in essence what you have is the fork tube and leg all as one piece, sperated from the cylinder. I'm having a second set put on my forks now. My first set the tubes got all scratched up some how so I have to replace them. It sucked beacuse they are chromed as well so needless to say I'm spending some serious cash for this project, no new mods for a while. Had to buy new tubes and then have them chrome the ends. Now supposedly a member on here says you can seperate the ends from the tubes but all part listings show them as one piece. If Ic an seperate the ends I may sell them but wont know till I get everything back from the shop. Good luck it's not too bad worst part is getting them off the triple tree. The factory tightens the crap out of everything!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The fork lowers do come off the tube.

It is not easy.

They are threaded onto the tube and there is a recessed set screw on the wheel side and a bolt inside above the axle.

It is a BI-ATCH to get them out and you may need to heat them to make it happen.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts