M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken the front master cylinder apart I took off the top cover and drained the fluid, I was in the process of removing the dust boot when I noticed a little clip was laying inside the reservoir. I belive that I know where it goes but not for certain of the direction and I am a little worried that there may have been a ball bearing that almost looks like would have been in there. I looked thru the manual and saw no description of either item. Can someone point me in the right direction please. I have uploaded the pictures in my albums under front brake master cylinder

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
i dont think there is a ball bearing in there. the piece goes in the C-shaped area inside the master cylinder. i think it can only go in one way. i really dont know what its for but thats where it goes. i hope this helps a little.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
The service manual shows how to tear it down and rebuild it. It's on pages 9-59 through 9-61.

The snap ring behind the dust boot doesn't have a ball bearing behind it. These are the parts that come out once you remove the snap ring:

Piston
Secondary cup
Primary cup
Return spring

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brake

I did go thru the manual several times no info at all except for the piston etc... Thanks for the insight biscuitpimp I hope that we are right on no bearing.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I just did this very job last week after having my master cyl. chromed by Chip Simmons. There is NO ball bearing inside the master or in the internals. The parts list that Zoom posted is all there is to the master. The small little piece (PROTECTOR)you have goes inside the master where the fluid goes. It simply pushes into the little area that is directly over the hole in the bottom of the master. It will be obvious to you which way it goes when you install it. The little cleats on the piece in question (Protector) just hold it in place. It looks to me that this piece is used to control air bubbles when the brake lever is engaged actuating the brakes and thereby moving the fluid inside the master. The Piece (protector goes with the small "L" shape up off the bottom off the master.

The rebuild is straight forward and took me minutes to complete. As per manual bath all parts being replaced or put in the master with DOT 4 brake fluid. Check the area (Bore) where the cup/seal and spring will be placed. Make sure there are no score marks/scratches in the bore. Clean entire master with DOT 4 brake fluid. Do not wipe up the brake fluid in any internal areas. You can clean the outside of master. Install the spring/cup/seal and cir clip then put on dust cover. Actuate by hand to insure smooth operation. Clean the inside of the master with clean DOT 4. Install the small piece you have by simply pushing into place. You will feel it when it is properly installed. Mount the master to the bars. Torque the brake line union bolt to 16.5 ft lbs and your done aside from beeding of course.

·
Registered
539 Posts
That small metal part is a brake fluid defuser. It keeps the brake fluid from shooting a stream out of the top when the cover is off. The master cylender will work without it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
beings I dont have a manul and didnt break my bike down for chroming can someone explain how to put back the master cylinder? I have the rebuild kit minus the lil item defuser:dontknow: but need help to put back together. Also if anyone has an extra bolt that holds the brake on ill buy it. Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks alot:bigthumbsup: it does help but i have a blk rubber piece with a tip in the middle that isnt shown and wonder where it goes. it fits on the end of the spring where the hole is im guessing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts