M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just remembering...again...(it usually happens when I'm at a stop sign or light and on my bike!:p) JR's advice from ...it seems like...years ago...hell, it must be at least 3 years. It got me wondering, 2 transmissions later, if anybody on the board has been practicing this move for any amount of time and NOT had gear failure? I would hate to think...like I just mentioned in my paint job picture thread, that my burn-out days are over if I want second gear to stick around. I had the famous "clutch-basket nut backing off" issue just before the first failure and had SLAMMED it through gears to get out of Seattle morning rush hour traffic. I was kind of hoping THAT was why the gears left. This second round I was hoping was due to the fact the first overhaul didn't include a shift fork...which I am SURE was bent. Wishful thinking probably.
So.....anybody here do burn-outs for years without trouble?!?!?!?! PLEASE??!?!?!?:pop::pop::pop::pop::pop:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and by the way.....HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! Have some of us been on this board for 4 years already!!!!????!!!!! Where the heck did the time go...???:yikes:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
do rolling burn outs at times....no problems

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
I take off in 2nd a lot, mostly accidentally, but have never tried to do a burnout in 2nd. I've done them in 1st then shifted to 2nd to keep it going, but only once or twice.

And if I recall correctly, JR trashed a tranny or two himself. :D

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take off in 2nd a lot, mostly accidentally, but have never tried to do a burnout in 2nd. I've done them in 1st then shifted to 2nd to keep it going, but only once or twice.

And if I recall correctly, JR trashed a tranny or two himself. :D
I think you're right...I remembe LOTS of pictures of the inside of his bike! :p

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
No burn out here. I just thought I would reply because i have been on the board for more then 4 years. :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Put a 300 on and burnouts are a thing of the past. That sucker hooks it either yanks the front tire or pushes the front down the street!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put a 300 on and burnouts are a thing of the past. That sucker hooks it either yanks the front tire or pushes the front down the street!
I put the new Avon Venom 250 on. If my daughter is on the back she insists on wheelies! :D

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No burn out here. I just thought I would reply because i have been on the board for more then 4 years. :D
Man...It probably has to do with moving out into the Pacific Ocean and working on 3 different islands on a number of different projects in that time frame...but it seems like it went REALLY fast!

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
haha yeah and your post count reflects it!!:D

Me=new bike, no abuse, just cruise!!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I took my 9 out on one of those back roads where the tar bubbles up in the summer. I did two dead stop burnies, dropping the hammer at about 4K. It burned for about 30 feet then hooked up. I don't get the same thrill from burnouts as I did when I was younger. Now I feel more like I'm just tearing up the bike. I was thinking about having my buddy video tape a power brake smoker this fall as it will be time for a new rear tire this winter, but I've been hearing too many horror stories about people ruining their clutches doing this kind of stuff, so I may not do it....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took my 9 out on one of those back roads where the tar bubbles up in the summer. I did two dead stop burnies, dropping the hammer at about 4K. It burned for about 30 feet then hooked up. I don't get the same thrill from burnouts as I did when I was younger. Now I feel more like I'm just tearing up the bike. I was thinking about having my buddy video tape a power brake smoker this fall as it will be time for a new rear tire this winter, but I've been hearing too many horror stories about people ruining their clutches doing this kind of stuff, so I may not do it....
Yah...I'm going to be second guessing the burn-outs too. They WERE a blast though! 2nd childhood with this bike. I flew into work this morning. Gonna drive down and get her out of the shop and see how she runs! :bigthumbsup:
Stoked!!!!! Haven't driven on Oahu yet...will be nice to be on a freeway again. I am praying for invisibility from radar!!! :joke:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Breaking things

I broke my first transmission on my 1947 Ford (in 1960), so I have 50 years of experience breaking trannys. I could get it rolling backwards in reverse, put it in second, then first without grinding, then floor it and drop the clutch. It burned out real good. After a few months of this, all I had was thrid gear. I got a used tranny for $10 at the junk yard. Ah, those were the days.
Anyway, my point is, you can break anything if you try hard enough. I've broken my share.
I don't do burn outs on this bike because I want it to last.
Can't get a new tranny for $10 for this bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts