M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SO, there I was cruising up I-69 yesterday. It was hotter than Hades but it was a good ride. It is a 6 lane highway and I was in the middle lane of three headed northbound. There is a car in the right (slow) lane and no one in the left (passing) lane. I am going 65 mph, the speed limit in that area. I got this "feeling" something was amiss and I looked in my rear view mirror and saw CAR, not just A car BUT CAR! :eek: It filled my mirror bc he was right on my arse. I checked over my left shoulder and saw a truck coming up quick so swinging to the left lane was a bad idea and there was no room in the right lane.

I am on a 9 so my solution to get away from this a-hole is blip the throttle, put about 10 car lengths between us and move over to the right when I can. Well, I put my plan into action and this non-descript burgundy Mustang starts flashing all sorts of pretty colors (red and blue) and a siren burps out. :cop: He pulls me over.

Instead of calm and collected, I am pissed. Long story short, I tell him in no uncertain terms to expect to see me in court on his day off and bring his dashcam footage because he FORCED me into a bad situation. He says that I should just slow down and have him go around. Why in the world should I have to do that? There was a clear left lane (with a speeding truck, I might add) andI was going the speed limit? I tell him that is a great idea if I were not on a motorcycle and him in a CAR. Dangerous to say the least. Also, he was tailgating and his dash cam would show that.

While we are pulled over another officer comes over. He really likes my bike and we talk a little about that and also about the situation I feel I have been put in. I also throw in that I am a former police officer, I have never been arrested, no accidents, and no tickets for over 20 years. After confirming this on the radio the original officer tries to tell me he is giving me a warning. :dontknow: I am pissed again and tell him he might as well give me a full ticket bc I am not taking a warning for a situation HE created!:verymad: The second officer starts laughing and walks away!

In the end, he relented and I still have a perfect driving record!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
That chit pisses me off too. I've heard of this before, but instead of tailgating, they get in front, and brake check. Once you go around, and smash the throttle to get around, they light you up for wrecklees driving. Happened to me sport bike buddies. They were riding in a pack of 4. All of the got tickets, all of them fought it, all of them won.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Good on ya! Way to stand your ground! :bigthumbsup:

Although I generally strongly support LE, times like this I am with the average citizen.

Every ticket I have gotten (and there have been several over the last 30 or so years :-\ :mad: :eek: :evil:), I have deserved.

I have no patience for stuff like this though.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Oh that pisses me off just hearing about it. So an unmarked cop car can ride 1/2 way up your tailpipe with a clear lane of traffic on the left, you give it some gas and move over so he can pass and get out of a unsafe riding condition and he wants to give you a ticket :dontknow:

:cop:...:cus:...:chillout:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
well the problem here is not giving it some gas, it is giving it some gas to get 10 lengths in front...if I read it correctly...

·
Banned
408 Posts
THEY SUCK. I know of a young local cop that lives a few blocks away from me and whenever he's outside in front of his house he'll literally stand out in the street & stop drivers zooming by, flash his I'd and YELL at them to slow down. Now what if I did that in front of my house? Ohh that's right, I'm not a cop so I'd get in trouble.
A few weeks ago while in my car the same guy was off duty in his personal vehicle and happened to pull out behind me in town & tailgated my ass all the way up to where we live, I just did the speed limit. What if I did that to him? No doubt he's slap me with a ticket.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
A few weeks ago while in my car the same guy was off duty in his personal vehicle and happened to pull out behind me in town & tailgated my ass all the way up to where we live, I just did the speed limit. What if I did that to him? No doubt he's slap me with a ticket.
Think I might have done a brake check & make him drop his coffee or whatever he was holding and then when he confronted me about it I'd explain that if he hadn't been tailgating, it wouldn't have happened and if he does it again I will be talking to his boss.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but most police don't care anymore. Had a guy not chased down the lady who hit us on the "9" and called 911 I don't think the police would have done anything. Police are revenue generators for city, county, and state government. The police don't give a rats ass what happen unless it's one of their own who gets hurt or killed. The officer who arrested the lady who hit us was like "this sort of thing happens all the time." I asked him if they would hand over the case to state court instead of city court. The officer told me it requires extra paperwork and it gets denied some of the time. So I'm thinking what a lazy A$$! He didn't start the paperwork until my attorney called his boss. Cops must see this stuff all the time and just don't give a S H I T anymore.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
For the most part, we have good officers in our town. I would make an appt with his Chief & tell him you want to review the dashcam with him & the officer. Let him see what kind of dumb sh&ts he has working for him. Those officers need to be sitting behind a desk. If you would of break checked him, ( dumb idea ) then he could get you for recless driving. ( In Texas, it is illegal to do that as it incites road rage:dontknow: )

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
glad to hear that you came out on top without getting a ticket or a warning :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
He was probably "tailgating" to run your plates...
Are you implying the officer was just doing his job? Why would he be running his plates anyway? From the story, it seemed like he was being very respectful with his driving.

In my hometown, all the "trouble-makers", that I went to high school with became police officers.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
In my hometown, all the "trouble-makers", that I went to high school with became police officers.
Same here. One time when I went to visit my mom, was out with a friend who got pulled over. When I saw the officer, my respect for the local force greatly went down.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
He was probably "tailgating" to run your plates...
Then just about every officer must be blind because i dont need to tailgate to read plates on a car or bike tailgating is tailgating if you tap the brakes and the cop ran into you they are not following at a safe distance and should write their own ticket.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Are you implying the officer was just doing his job? Why would he be running his plates anyway?
Yes I am...Law enforcement can run your plates any time they wish to check for wants, registration expiration or whether the operator is wanted or has a valid driver's license. I run the interstate all the time doing the same thing.

It's funny when people get stopped for a traffic violation...they're always innocent and it's the copper's wrong doing. And how does accelerating to move ten car lengths (assuming everyone else is traveling at 65MPH) constitute respectful driving? And who knows how long the unmarked was behind NMclay or if the trooper was going to pass by him in the left lane before NMclay hammered down.

He can go and request the trooper's supervisor review the dash cam footage (provided there is a dash cam in the squad), but the supervisor can always rule in favor of the trooper and have him issue the citation. Warnings, written or verbal, do not affect your driving record. I'd say lesson learned and be more cautious in the future.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Yes I am...Law enforcement can run your plates any time they wish to check for wants, registration expiration or whether the operator is wanted or has a valid driver's license. I run the interstate all the time doing the same thing.

It's funny when people get stopped for a traffic violation...they're always innocent and it's the copper's wrong doing. And how does accelerating to move ten car lengths (assuming everyone else is traveling at 65MPH) constitute respectful driving? And who knows how long the unmarked was behind NMclay or if the trooper was going to pass by him in the left lane before NMclay hammered down.

He can go and request the trooper's supervisor review the dash cam footage (provided there is a dash cam in the squad), but the supervisor can always rule in favor of the trooper and have him issue the citation. Warnings, written or verbal, do not affect your driving record. I'd say lesson learned and be more cautious in the future.
Considering that this was the outcome, "In the end, he relented and I still have a perfect driving record!", I'd say that the officer was in the wrong and knew it...LOL :D:hot:.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'd say lesson learned and be more cautious in the future.
You need to re-read. How could I be more cautious? Of what? I did NOTHING wrong for him to ride my butt. I moved forward approx 10 lengths to get away from HIM endangering my life. I say this as a former cop and with family still working as officers; this jerkoff had NO EXCUSE for what he did (as most aptly demonstrated by his walking away with no ticket or even a warning.

BTW, the warning does not affect your record but it is a way for the officer to save face after forcing a bad situation. I would rather pay the ticket than give our collection agents behind the badge an admission that I did anything wrong.

Lastly, I waved two times at the unknown driver to go around instead of tappign my brakes before I accelerated to get away from him.

·
Banned
1,218 Posts

In other words you are 'fishing'..No criminal activity is present so you start running tags of random cars or bikes looking for a reason to pull someone over instead of 'protecting and serving' the public...Meter maids...

Gotta luv the 'Kops vs the guilty until proven innocent population' :verymad:

I have so many bad cop stories that I dont know where to start-so I wll just leave it at this-There was a time I would have helped out a cop in need..Nowadays, I wouldnt stop to p*ss in a cops mouth if his tongue was on fire!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts