M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may know, my 9 is black (the fastest color) and I like to keep it clean. Wednesday I put a coat of wax on all the painted parts and a coat of chrome polish on all the chrome and it was looking fine. I come home from work yesterday and the bike is just covered in dust. I love the black when it's clean, but it shows the dust like crazy.

I'm getting sick of having to get out a bucket of water and the micro fiber cloths to wipe the bike down every time I want to go for a ride, but that's the only method I've found so far to get rid of the dust. Even this method isn't without it's flaws. After I go over a part with a wet cloth, I then have to go over the same part with a dry cloth to prevent water spotting, and then I'm chasing around the little particals left behind by the dry cloth.

The biggest problem I see is the static electricity that's built up when rubbing a cloth over the painted surface, especially on the plastic pieces. It attracts the small particals to the surface of the paint. I've been thinking about getting one of those California Dusters, but I think you'd almost have to spray it with Endust or something similar to get these particals to stick to it. What do you guys use?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
What do you guys use?
4th gear at about 105mph works great for me! :doorag: Blows right off!!!

Yeah it's pollen time here and honestly there's nothing you can really do about it. I love how my bike looks after a wash & wax. I used to be real anal about it looking showroom clean all the time. I've chilled on that quite a bit. If it has some dust/pollen or hasn't been washed in a week or two I just jump on it and RIDE!

I have added alot of black to mine and yes it's awesome looking clean but it show's everything when it's dirty. But like I said nobody can really tell it's dirty when there always behind you. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
California Duster...

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/images/originals/114.jpg in case the pic doesn't show up...

I've been using mine for years and years. It works great. I have a big one, and a small one, no endust needed!
So all the particals actually stick to the duster instead of the paint even on the plastic pieces? The one pictured here looks a little big to use on a bike. I think Wally World sells one with a smaller head (made of the same material) that might be a bit easier to use on a bike.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4th gear at about 105mph works great for me! :doorag: Blows right off!!!

Yeah it's pollen time here and honestly there's nothing you can really do about it. I love how my bike looks after a wash & wax. I used to be real anal about it looking showroom clean all the time. I've chilled on that quite a bit. If it has some dust/pollen or hasn't been washed in a week or two I just jump on it and RIDE!

I have added alot of black to mine and yes it's awesome looking clean but it show's everything when it's dirty. But like I said nobody can really tell it's dirty when there always behind you. :bigthumbsup:
Triple digit speeds are good for getting rid of some of it, but not all of it. And there's no hope of me becoming less anal about the cleaniness of my bike. If anything, it's just gonna get worse....

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too bad someone couldn't develop some type of polish that reverses the polarity of the static charge so it would actually repell dust. You could make a mint with such a product!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
So all the particals actually stick to the duster instead of the paint even on the plastic pieces? The one pictured here looks a little big to use on a bike. I think Wally World sells one with a smaller head (made of the same material) that might be a bit easier to use on a bike.
I think it works great. Once over in 30 seconds, and it looks fantastic! IMO, worth the investment. Again, I have a big one, and a small one. I use the small one on my bike... even the wheels.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
get the smaller california duster and you will be fine. believe it or not, there is nothing that you need to add in order to get it to take the dust off. in fact, on the instructions it states that the dirtier the california duster gets the better it works. they suggest storing it in newspapers.
i use it when the bike has been sitting in the garage all week and the dust has built up and then finish it off with pro honda spray polish and the bike looks brand new every time. i don't use a bucket of water or even soap for that matter. too messy and too much time. i just keep up with the cleaning/polishing before and after every ride. even with all the chrome i have my routine takes 10 minutes tops.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
get the smaller california duster and you will be fine. believe it or not, there is nothing that you need to add in order to get it to take the dust off. in fact, on the instructions it states that the dirtier the california duster gets the better it works. they suggest storing it in newspapers.
i use it when the bike has been sitting in the garage all week and the dust has built up and then finish it off with pro honda spray polish and the bike looks brand new every time. i don't use a bucket of water or even soap for that matter. too messy and too much time. i just keep up with the cleaning/polishing before and after every ride. even with all the chrome i have my routine takes 10 minutes tops.
The only time I ever use a bucket of soapy water and hose is if the bike's been ridden or towed in the rain. Otherwise I just use a damp cloth and a drying cloth, but that gets to be pain to use just to remove dust. I can't wait to try out the duster!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Agree with Hink - California Duster all the way! Been using them on my vehicles and bikes (comes in very handy when all the pollen is out and about, and I come out from work and my car is yellow)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you ever wash it? If so, how often and how? Do you just throw it in the wash?

·
Registered
434 Posts
BLACK IS EASY TO KEEP CLEAN

Im the proud owner of 1979 ClearBlack pickup and the best thing that i have seen over the year that has kept my truck looking better than some of the new ones and was easier than easy to apply was a product that you can order from Califorinia on line from the Production Company called, Anti static Show Room Conditioner. It has work for year on my truck and the dust will not stick to the paint. LOL Try a bottle its sold by the gallon on line. This is the best product on the market for all colors (Gray) but works like a charm on Black. Spray and wipe. :D

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Im the proud owner of 1979 ClearBlack pickup and the best thing that i have seen over the year that has kept my truck looking better than some of the new ones and was easier than easy to apply was a product that you can order from Califorinia on line from the Production Company called, Anti static Show Room Conditioner. It has work for year on my truck and the dust will not stick to the paint. LOL Try a bottle its sold by the gallon on line. This is the best product on the market for all colors (Gray) but works like a charm on Black. Spray and wipe. :D
Just ordered a gal. (should be enough for my next 3 motorcycles)

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Do you ever wash it? If so, how often and how? Do you just throw it in the wash?
i bought the small california dash duster in 2004. no, i have never washed it. i only use it for my motorcycles so it really doesn't accumulate a lot of dust. i am very anal about keeping the bike clean at all times so perhaps that is why it hasn't gotten that dirty.
the instructions even state to not "wash" the california duster or use water on it at any time.

this is the one i have:
http://www.calcarduster.com/dashduster.asp

I've had mine for 8-10 years... I just take a shop vac to it every once in a while. I've never "washed" it.
:agree: that would be the method that i would use.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you apply it on top of the wax?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Been useing the CA duster for years too, works great but makes me cringe a little knowing I'm grinding that chit into my paint. Maybe that anti static stuff will help

1 - 20 of 44 Posts