M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.  What is the friction zone.

2. What is trail braking.

3. What is Counter Weight Steering?

Do you know what these are?  Lamont, HAL, JR, L-Train, Joet need not reply.

I have inherited two GRADUTES of MSF courses who do not truly know what these are.  I am worried about what is happening with MSF a bit.

One Graduate has cost me over $1,200.00 in parts alone.  Can't do much about it after 18 years of marriage but I am worried about this.

I spent 3 hours with my wife's aunt who took the class with the wife and niether of them knew what the Friction Zone was.  Both passed and where sent to the DMV.

Very scary.

Wife dumped the M-50 after 150 miles starring at a curb, tank, upper side panel, lower engine cover, controls, front fender.  10 mile an hour wreck, - raspberry on the knee, little swelling on wrist, torn 1st gear.  Thank god for the right gear.

But anyway, I think we may have a problem in AZ with MSF or is this normal for a sucessful MSF Rider to not understand the Friction Zone?

TAZ

·
Registered
572 Posts
Easy questions to answer... I would check out their instructors...

Mine were both in their 60's, had long beards, and could ride in their sleep they were so good...

Doing the SLOW SPEED figure 8 like we did in class, learned totally how to counter steer.... friction zone is easy to learn, especially on the 109... and braking is something you pick up easily if you pay attention....

I would get the MSF instructors changed out ;)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
BigBen, correct me if I'm mistaken but you are in Texas as I was when I took my MSF (about 2 weeks ago, since I didn't realize I had let my motocycle cert slip last time I renewed). Anyway, both of my instructors were DPS officers, the primary instructor was also the instructor for the DPS motorcycle cops in the Austin area. Countersteer, Counterweight turns, Friction zone and low speed maneuvering were all things that they harped on.

I won't say I did very well at the counterweight steering... actually I rather sucked at it on the test.. stage fright I suppose 8)

and I've seen (and ridden) the bike Taz's Mrs. tipped over and I'm very glad she wasn't hurt seriously, cause its got pretty serious tank and fender tatoos now.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I did my MSF instruction at Mancuso HD on 290... the "Rider's Edge" course is what they called it....

3 days during the week, one day in class, 2 days on the range... really professional, safe guys....

I loved it, had a great time, and getting my motorcycle endorsement was easy :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
When I worked at a Motorcycle dealer/stealer I always recommended the MSF class and always got good feed back from my customers. Sorry to say Taz, but it looks like your wife and her aunt didn't have the best instructor. Glad to hear she didn't get hurt too badly.
The guy who delivered bikes when customers weren't able to pick them up told me he delivered a brand new Triumph Trophy 1200 to a guy as a 1st bike. The customer got on the bike, he tried to take off...what he did was hop the curb, graze a tree, through a wooden fence and finished his brief ride, slamming into a brick wall. The customer was bruised and shaken up. The reported comment of the customer cracked me up..."Good thing I took that safety course or that could have been worse!"

·
Registered
178 Posts
:a20:

That is too funny. Where did he take that course??? :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PhreakShow said:
When I worked at a Motorcycle dealer/stealer I always recommended the MSF class and always got good feed back from my customers. Sorry to say Taz, but it looks like your wife and her aunt didn't have the best instructor. Glad to hear she didn't get hurt too badly.
The guy who delivered bikes when customers weren't able to pick them up told me he delivered a brand new Triumph Trophy 1200 to a guy as a 1st bike. The customer got on the bike, he tried to take off...what he did was hop the curb, graze a tree, through a wooden fence and finished his brief ride, slamming into a brick wall. The customer was bruised and shaken up. The reported comment of the customer cracked me up..."Good thing I took that safety course or that could have been worse!"
eiy eiy eiy, that is just wrong. After the wife dumped the M-50, of course after going 75 MPH on freeway, and 150 miles I showed the video of the guy on his brand new Harley that drove it into the bumper of a truck. Tunnel vision.

Crazy!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taz,
Sorry to hear about your wife dumping the bike. Sounds like the injuries are minor thankfully. Always hurts to see our loved ones hurt though.

Getting back to your original part of the post: Instructor makes all the difference. When my wife took the course the instructor flunked all the women the 2nd day. Think he had an agenda? I have been trying to get her to go take it again with a different instructor. I told here I would even take it over again. Can you see me 6' 267lbs on a 125 again. Man, what we do for love.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruno said:
Taz,
Sorry to hear about your wife dumping the bike. Sounds like the injuries are minor thankfully. Always hurts to see our loved ones hurt though.

Getting back to your original part of the post: Instructor makes all the difference. When my wife took the course the instructor flunked all the women the 2nd day. Think he had an agenda? I have been trying to get her to go take it again with a different instructor. I told here I would even take it over again. Can you see me 6' 267lbs on a 125 again. Man, what we do for love.
You know bro, we must be idiots. But hey, It is love. Because if it were not she would be in the Hosp.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Taz, I agree with what has been said in some of the other post. It must have been the instructors. When I took the class they talked about friction zone so much I thought was a new show to take the place of the twilight zone. You are now entering the Friction Zone. :joke:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Glad to hear your wifes O.K. I also bought my wife the M50 and put her through the MSF course here in Florida. I went through the course with her for support. The instructor did not pass her and made her return 2 more times along with 6 other students and made sure they could do the tests. made them practice over and over until they could. He made it quite clear to all his students that this endorsement gave them the right to go out and perfect these skills on their own. And it did not give them the right to just go right out in traffic! I take my wife for rides on the 109 or the 50 when she wants to go out. and have been taking her to a big parking lot every chance i can. I am trying to get her prepared to go out riding with me, but i am still frieghtened to death about her having problems with the crazy cagers on the road. I kind of like her after 25 years of marrage.Best of luck and wishes to both of you!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts