M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for about a year now on a 99' Suzuki Marauder, and been on the freeway for a decent amount of miles. Well, I just got a brand new 09' M109. I rolled it off the lot with 2 miles on the odometer. I just had to ride to work today, its ~45 degrees out and a little windy (about 10mph sustained). I was getting blown around SO bad i cant believe it. I felt like I was riding on the head of a needle. Is this normal for 109s? I mean, I thought I was gonna eat pavement for lunch a couple times.... I am definately takin back roads home tonight... Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Would it make a difference if I lowered the back end to try and get a lower center of gravity?:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
If your were getting hit by crosswinds there's nothing you can do about that other than lower your speed. The M109R is over 800lbs with a full tank of gas so you really shouldn't be getting blown around unless your having 30-40mph winds up there.

If you feel like the head wind is killing you then yes, lowering your rear end will help some, getting a wind shield will help even more.

I had mine up to 122mph (GPS) on a long straight empty country backroad this weekend and it was a steady as can be.

Something is just not right here.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I have been WELLLLLLL over 100 on mine and it is rock stable. Check your tire pressures and make sure the tires are balanced. Something is not kosher. I am assuming the road is one you have ridden on before with your other bike.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I'm going to guess that you were probably holding on a bit to tightly and that increased your feeling of being blown around. I ride a lot in high wind areas and the 9 is one of the best feeling bikes I have rode in cross winds.

·
Registered
462 Posts
many things can be affecting....

too strong of a wid --- no fix
u can lower -- help a little
gain more weight --- helps a little
slow down or ride faster---- ???
your body position -- helps a littl
get a windshield.... so u wont have battle both head on and side

in general -- what works for u might not work 4 others...just play with and since u are new ..pretty sure once u ride a little more u 'll figure most out.

my legs use to fly off at 100, couple mths lateer ....I'm stuck like super glue on the bike ...it just takes time to get use to the bike...enjoy it man:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My 9 is my first bike. I've been riding it going into my fourth season. When I first started riding on the highway, I ran into alot of crosswinds and it caused me to sway some, mostly because I was still getting used to riding my 9. But, after a while, when I became more comfortable I was able to control the bike better. Like GR said, maybe the winds were more than 10-20 mph. I'd say give it time, IMHO. Oh, and your speed might have had something to do with it also.:dontknow:RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bro, I'm right over in the Dayton area and I just hopped off the freeway on my bike. I can tell you... ITS JUST THE WIND. Its windy as heck today. I was getting blown all over the road as well.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
This the most wind stable bike I've ever ridden. I've been at 90 mph with semi trucks coming the other way and not bothered to put my left hand back on the bars.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Don't be fooled by the wind. I have almost been blown off my 9 from crosswinds before, and I wasn't even on the highway. Don't believe for a moment that just because the 9 weighs 800lbs its not gonna blow over! It's huge and acts like a sail. Be careful! Ride safe

·
Registered
453 Posts
One other thing you might need to take into account is that fat back tire. You'll get more sideways rolling not only because of the wind push but by your tight grip and the counter reaction to the wind.
I don't believe you mentioned your weight & height, this too will need to be taken into account.
Next time it happens, as someone else mentioned, drop your speed by 10-15mph. See if you get a difference. Change what you do, a bit at a time to see what changes you notice your bike makes.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I really don't like riding on the interstate with my 109 either. If I know I am going to be riding on freeways for alot of my ride, then I take my GSXR.....that sucker slices right through the wind and has sooo much top end power that I actually LIKE riding freeways with it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
That does seem strange.....I'm 6ft tall, 230 lbs and my 9 is steady as a rock in everything less than hurricane force winds. Even wind shear from on-coming Big Rigs doesn't upset the bike for me. Sometimes my torso gets pushed around a bit but the bike always stays battleship steady.

This bike weighs as much as most full dress cruisers but has much less surface area due to the lack of fairings....I always seem to do better in heavy cross winds than my full dress and Gold Wing buddies when we are group riding.

Try riding where there are no winds and see if you still have the same problem...if so then you just need some time to get used to a very heavy bike with a huge back tire.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'll do 100's of miles in the interstate in a day no problem. When I first got the 109 I felt like I was getting blasted by wind, I'm used to it now. Helmet makes a differance. full/half. You'll get used to it, just twist and hang on.:evil:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RE:

Yeah, I should have mentioned more details, I have ~ 30 miles on the bike (yes, brand new!), full tank of gas, I am 6'1" and *cough* 280lbs... Maybe the wind was higher than 10-20, but I seriously thought the bike was gonna come out from under me. :dontknow: And i was really gripping the bars, hanging on, I need to relax...8)

The whole bike was checked yesterday at the dealership before I left and I do my normal checks before I ride so IDK... more than a couple times I let off the throttle to regain my upright position... I am definately dropping the back end 2" when I get a hundred bucks together. The tutorial on this site looks pretty accurate. I am sure I have to just get used to the bike, as many have mentioned prior.

Normally I travel 5-10 over (65-70mph) but I was avereging 55-60 on the way to work.... "JtJohns" was right, the weather probably has some to do with my in-expirience on this brand new work of art. :p

As always, thanks everyone!!! This site rocks!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Give it a week or two.....I didn't get along with my 9 at first either but once we adapted to each others idiosyncrasies the love affair got hot and heavy!!

It's big, heavy, harsh on and off the throttle, and shifts like Mack Truck but once you get the feel for how she likes to be ridden there's no turning back.
Every time you twist that throttle back hard you will know why you chose the mighty 9!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Two times a month a ride 300+ miles on the interstate, over one bridge that has strong crosswinds and of all the bikes I have had this one is the most stable.

·
Registered
140 Posts
phiberoptik. I also came from riding the marauder. when i first got my 9 i also noticed the excessive wind gust feeling. I think it has alot to do with my hieght am 6' 4. The wind seemed to blast me right in the face. I think its is just not being adapted to it. The 9 has a more areo dyonamic front end than the marauder had. I hardly even notice the wind now. It just took some adapting to. I seem to forget all the little things every time I crack the throttle. Brings a smile every time.;):congrats:eek:n the new bike. You will soon forget what it was even like on the marauder.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts