M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...on my trip to the Mississippi, I noticed a lot of the Harley guys had a little bell hanging on their bike....down low near the ground, off the frame...etc. So...we stopped at a Harley dealer and we saw them hanging by the register...and after my girl read the story about the bell....well lets just say she made sure one was going on my bike!! After reading the little card in the bag....i was like,"are you serious??!!" But...I love her and I did it to make her happy. So...here is the strory of the Fredom Bell as it is on the card that comes with it:

Have you ever wished you could get rid of those nasty road "surprises" that turn your ride in the wind, into a trip where everything goes wrong??

As we all know, life has many mysteries that have no apparent solutions. One of these is evil road spirits. They are little gremlins that live on your bike. They love to ride. They're also responsible for most of your bikes problems. Sometimes your turn signals refuse to work, or your battery goes dead, the clutch needs to be adjusted, or any of several hundred things that could go wrong. These problems are all caused by evil road spirits.

Road spirits can't live in the presence of the bell. They get trapped in the hollow of the bell. Among other things, their hearing is super-sensitive. The constant ringing of the bell and the confined space drives them insane. They lose their grip and eventually fall to the roadway. Have you ever wondered how pot holes are formed?? The bell has served its purpose.

If you buy the bell yourself the magic will work. But if your bell was bought for you, the power is doubled, and you know that somewhere you have a special friend helping to look over you.

So, if you have a friend that doesnt have a bell, why not be the person to give them one? It's a nice feeling for the recipient to know you personally care. The bell, plus a good presentative maintenance program by the bike's owner, will eliminate the evil road spirits.

LOL!!! What a story, huh?? Thats how those damn pot holes get there!!! Damn gremlins!! So...for now I have a little bell hanging from my bike....at least until one of those gremlins un-tie it!! Well...at least I have a girl that loves me...and I'm sure she doesnt believe in the story. She just wanted me to know she cares and worries when I ride. So....maybe the next time I feel like hammering the throttle....maybe I will hear the bell and think twice.-HELL(the 290lb leader of the gremlins) :evil:

·
Registered
133 Posts
i think you summed it up right there
"She just wanted me to know she cares and worries when I ride"

i dont buy the bell story either, hey it sells bells! i got one on my bike(gal got it for me) and i actually see more bikes with bells than without.

maybe i need to go into the bell business....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crazy thing is...I've been around bikes and a rider my whole life. I'm 33 and never saw or heard of this bell story until this last weekend!! My bike must be infested!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
funny, the first one i had was put on the front of my frame at its lowest point. every time i turned it would dingalingalingalingalingaling, took me forever to figure out what it was. i though i was having some serious engine problems....

that bell became a nubb pretty quickly.......people said it sparked real good though!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is amazing how many of those little suckers are hanging on bikes around the world. We sell about a dozen or so a week off of our e-bay store. People love them and they are a nice little add on for not alot of money.

·
Registered
516 Posts
SLOPOKE said:
funny, the first one i had was put on the front of my frame at its lowest point. every time i turned it would dingalingalingalingalingaling, took me forever to figure out what it was. i though i was having some serious engine problems....

that bell became a nubb pretty quickly.......people said it sparked real good though!
ROFLMAO!!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
We call them "spirit bells". I've had one on my 1400 Intruder for 11 years, and no problems. I didn't put one on my BMW and got nailed for a speeding ticket within a month of having the bike! My M109R will be blessed with one when I find the right one (gotta feel right)!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
696 Posts
veezer said:
We call them "spirit bells". I've had one on my 1400 Intruder for 11 years, and no problems. I didn't put one on my BMW and got nailed for a speeding ticket within a month of having the bike! My M109R will be blessed with one when I find the right one (gotta feel right)!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
yep... gotta be the bell...mjm

·
Registered
133 Posts
i thought you wernt suppose to buy your own bell. i was always told by the old timers that is has to be purchased for you buy a friend....was bad luck to buy your own and your bike would be cursed.......

·
Registered
443 Posts
SLOPOKE said:
i thought you wernt suppose to buy your own bell. i was always told by the old timers that is has to be purchased for you buy a friend....was bad luck to buy your own and your bike would be cursed.......
I feel the spirit bell should mean something to you, and only you can decide what that is.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My Harley buddy didn't let me leave his driveway til I mounted his gift :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hellrazr72 said:
So...on my trip to the Mississippi, I noticed a lot of the Harley guys had a little bell hanging on their bike....down low near the ground, off the frame...etc. So...we stopped at a Harley dealer and we saw them hanging by the register...and after my girl read the story about the bell....well lets just say she made sure one was going on my bike!! After reading the little card in the bag....i was like,"are you serious??!!" But...I love her and I did it to make her happy. So...here is the strory of the Fredom Bell as it is on the card that comes with it:

Have you ever wished you could get rid of those nasty road "surprises" that turn your ride in the wind, into a trip where everything goes wrong??

As we all know, life has many mysteries that have no apparent solutions. One of these is evil road spirits. They are little gremlins that live on your bike. They love to ride. They're also responsible for most of your bikes problems. Sometimes your turn signals refuse to work, or your battery goes dead, the clutch needs to be adjusted, or any of several hundred things that could go wrong. These problems are all caused by evil road spirits.

Road spirits can't live in the presence of the bell. They get trapped in the hollow of the bell. Among other things, their hearing is super-sensitive. The constant ringing of the bell and the confined space drives them insane. They lose their grip and eventually fall to the roadway. Have you ever wondered how pot holes are formed?? The bell has served its purpose.

If you buy the bell yourself the magic will work. But if your bell was bought for you, the power is doubled, and you know that somewhere you have a special friend helping to look over you.

So, if you have a friend that doesnt have a bell, why not be the person to give them one? It's a nice feeling for the recipient to know you personally care. The bell, plus a good presentative maintenance program by the bike's owner, will eliminate the evil road spirits.

LOL!!! What a story, huh?? Thats how those damn pot holes get there!!! Damn gremlins!! So...for now I have a little bell hanging from my bike....at least until one of those gremlins un-tie it!! Well...at least I have a girl that loves me...and I'm sure she doesnt believe in the story. She just wanted me to know she cares and worries when I ride. So....maybe the next time I feel like hammering the throttle....maybe I will hear the bell and think twice.-HELL(the 290lb leader of the gremlins) :evil:
I didn't even know that when I lived in Michigan I had 38 Trillion gremlins hanging off my bike or car. Wow that state needs an exercisim or something. :joke: :joke:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I was riding up to the IA rally in Asheville this spring and the guy I was riding with lost his bell. He wouldn't continue on the trip until he got it replaced. We spent a nice bit of time looking around until he found a replacement to put on his bike. Then we could continue with the trip.

·
Registered
696 Posts
raw_taz said:
I didn't even know that when I lived in Michigan I had 38 Trillion gremlins hanging off my bike or car. Wow that state needs an exercisim or something. :joke: :joke:
taz.. the voice of reason on this one for sure...mjm

·
Registered
166 Posts
Keep in mind that the gremlins aren't necessarily speed freaks, that's why they are especially attracted to the Harley's, now the 109 typically cruises at a speed that on a Harley is approaching it's "Top End" so most of the gremlins jump off the 109's and on to the slower Harley's, oh, they're also attracted to "Bad Attitudes" and we all know most people on a 109 have a "Great Attitude" (so it is actually a good thing to pull up next to Harley's at a stop light, so the gremlins can switch rides) ok, now I know your going to make me feel guilty for offloading my gremlins on to the poor Harley riders, but it's the nature of the beast, and I'm just following nature! :evil:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts