M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't post much, but thought I'd try to 'give back' to the forum with this free-mod Garmin GPS mounting idea (used with a Nuvi 200), and an alternate cigarette lighter install location I've not yet seen on the forums. I call this a "free-mod" on the mounting, because it can technically be done with about $0.02.

WARNING: I didn't include photos of the weatherproof in-line fuse holder I installed, but you'll want to install one on the positive lead from the battery to the switch -- preferably close to the battery. Failure to do so could melt wires and start an electrical fire, should this system get shorted to ground.

The illuminated SPST (single-pole single-throw) rocker switch:

+12VDC weatherproof cigarette lighter outlet:

Hole made with 1-1/8" hole-saw:

Installed. I did not wire this to a switched source, but you could easily use a relay if so desired (I can elaborate if needed). Instead, I wanted to be able to charge a cellphone or use the GPS with the bike's power turned off:

Underside of battery box:

Do the wiring right! Solder all connections and use heat-shrink tubing. The convoluted tubing will protect the wiring if it is passed through tight spots:

Grounding bolt on the rear jug:

As for the Garmin GPS, you'll notice 4 diagonally-oriented "slits" in the ball-mount section of the factory Garmin mount -- that is, the plastic mount which physically holds the GPS unit. Should come in the box with your GPS.

My "free-mod" idea was simply to pass some zip-ties through those holes to secure to the handle bars. This was a moch-up with nylon ties -- I eventually use stainless steel zip-ties, along with some rubber tool box shelving material to protect the handlebars and prevent movement:

Here are some shots with the stainless zip-ties:

It should be noted that this installation does not block the tachometer's warning lights from view.

Piece of cake, and will save your wallet for more important mods.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
[I'm not giving step-by-step instructions on this, so I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the general tech section. Moderators feel free to move it if necessary.]

Big thanks to Pynikal for helping me with buying my M109 this summer. I have about 1,000 miles on a new orange '08, and I've made a few mods since mid-October:

-A&R HID headlight
-Gi-Pro
-Kury ISO Grips
-Brake-away throttle lock
-Suzuki Gel seats
-Suzuki engine guards
-painted the flat-black side-covers and removed reflectors
-installed a cigarette lighter outlet and GPS
-Polished my derby cover and gas cap
-chrome strips added to gas-tank seam and instrument bezel
-tore apart and greased the entire gear drive assembly
-Scorpio i900 alarm

Anyway, I don't post much, but thought I'd try to 'give back' to the forum with this free-mod Garmin GPS mounting idea (used with a Nuvi 200), and an alternate cigarette lighter install location I've not yet seen on the forums. I call this a "free-mod" on the mounting, because it can technically be done with about $0.02.

WARNING: I didn't include photos of the weatherproof in-line fuse holder I installed, but you'll want to install one on the positive lead from the battery to the switch -- preferably close to the battery. Failure to do so could melt wires and start an electrical fire, should this system get shorted to ground.

The illuminated SPST (single-pole single-throw) rocker switch:

+12VDC weatherproof cigarette lighter outlet:

Hole made with 1-1/8" hole-saw:

Installed. I did not wire this to a switched source, but you could easily use a relay if so desired (I can elaborate if needed). Instead, I wanted to be able to charge a cellphone or use the GPS with the bike's power turned off:

Underside of battery box:

Do the wiring right! Solder all connections and use heat-shrink tubing. The convoluted tubing will protect the wiring if it is passed through tight spots:

Grounding bolt on the rear jug:

As for the Garmin GPS, you'll notice 4 diagonally-oriented "slits" in the ball-mount section of the factory Garmin mount -- that is, the plastic mount which physically holds the GPS unit. Should come in the box with your GPS.

My "free-mod" idea was simply to pass some zip-ties through those holes to secure to the handle bars. This was a mach-up with nylon ties -- I eventually use stainless steel zip-ties, along with some rubber tool box shelving material to protect the handlebars and prevent movement:

Here are some shots with the stainless zip-ties:

It should be noted that this installation does not block the tachometer's warning lights from view.

Piece of cake, and will save your wallet for more important mods.
Very nice, Thanks for sharing............

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Great idea on mounting the gps. I am confused on how the gps power is hooked up. I see the socket, but how are you getting power to the gps? Do you have a generic usb cord that runs to the socket and you put a plug on it?

Thanks for the great write up with pics. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Great idea on mounting the gps. I am confused on how the gps power is hooked up. I see the socket, but how are you getting power to the gps? Do you have a generic usb cord that runs to the socket and you put a plug on it?
Sorry for the confusion.

I'm using the factory Garmin cigarette lighter power adapter -- plugged into the power outlet shown. There's plenty of room down there for the adapter. I routed the adapter's wiring under the fuel tank, following the factory wiring up to the handlebars. The Garmin adapter has sufficient wire length.

I guess this does, in essence, waste a Garmin adapter if you desire to use the GPS in multiple vehicles. It's not easily removed like those who install their power plug in the headlight nacelle. My truck has built-in GPS, so I didn't need this Nuvi 200 for anything but the bike. The cigarette adapter can be removed with some trouble, or you could buy a spare power adapter for other vehicles, but this setup is really only ideal for those who don't need to use the GPS on other vehicles.

The Garmin cigarette lighter adapters, as I understand it, drop the voltage from +12VDC down to +5VDC, so you don't want to hardwire the Garmin to your bike's battery. I could easily build a linear or switch-mode regulator (electrical engineer here) to drop the voltage, but it was easiest/quickest just to use their adapter.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Sorry for the confusion.

I'm using the factory Garmin cigarette lighter power adapter -- plugged into the power outlet shown. There's plenty of room down there for the adapter. I routed the adapter's wiring under the fuel tank, following the factory wiring up to the handlebars. The Garmin adapter has sufficient wire length.

I guess this does, in essence, waste a Garmin adapter if you desire to use the GPS in multiple vehicles. It's not easily removed like those who install their power plug in the headlight nacelle. My truck has built-in GPS, so I didn't need this Nuvi 200 for anything but the bike. The cigarette adapter can be removed with some trouble, or you could buy a spare power adapter for other vehicles, but this setup is really only ideal for those who don't need to use the GPS on other vehicles.

The Garmin cigarette lighter adapters, as I understand it, drop the voltage from +12VDC down to +5VDC, so you don't want to hardwire the Garmin to your bike's battery. I could easily build a linear or switch-mode regulator (electrical engineer here) to drop the voltage, but it was easiest/quickest just to use their adapter.
Thanks for the reply. That is what I was curious about because I knew it was a good amount of travel and wasn't sure if the stock adapter reached. This honestly, is an awesome idea for the following reason:

I bought the 250 for Bikergranny and bought the hardwire kit online for $15. When I got it, it would only throw the gps in to data mode only. After a lot of research, it appeared that this was a complete hit or miss. My friend got his and it worked perfect on the same gps. So, I took the stock garmin adapter, unsoldered everything and relocated it into the box on the hardwire kit I bought. Worked like a charm. However, had I seen this post, I probably would have just put an adapter in the back and ran the stock one back and been done and be able to charge the cell also.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
I like the idea of mounting the outlet there. I have mine on the lower triple tree, but that means having a bunch of extra wire bundled up behind the tach. I have the Garmin 675T and the power cable for it attaches to the base, then the Garmin unit gets the power from the base. I can't use your handlebar mounting idea without buying another base, but I have a ball type mount already on the bars that works fine. I just need to relocate the outlet and run the wire as you have yours.

Great idea! :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
One easy way to mount your gps (this is if you have a Garmin)..Is to go to there website and pick up there bicycle mount..That's what i did..

·
Registered
265 Posts
NOPE,,,,The only problem i have is..On real sunny days the sun glare can be a pain...Other than that,,it works fine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I also did the same way for my Garmin & ran the wire underneath my tank & up the risers. Ended up mounting mine towards the left side riser, being a southpaw seems easier. Only I used the battery tender quick connect cable on the end of my cig liter element so I could disconnect it in the winter & hook up my battery tender to it... Just plug & unplug.... Works great!!:joke:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts