M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys as many of you recall in my post "blackout", I've been wanting to black out most of the chrome and do the rims in gloss black. There have been several posts lately about online powdercoaters to send your rims to etc. I urge you to check with your local powder coaters and get a quote. Had the opportunity to visit one today about a sign package I'm working on that will require LOTS of powder coating. Asked about the rims in a mirror black finish. Guess how much?
..........$25 to $50 per rim depending on color selected. They had a candy red coated wheel that was awesome. Basically, all the parts you wanna do the same color if they can fit it in the oven together it's like a one price deal. Could do most of the bike for under $100.
A lot of the online companies are charging several times that. I've seen quotes up to $600 for a pair of rims, so check your local guys.

Hell if a lot of people wanted to do it and we could get a large batch they'd do them all at one time for $250 total. So 10 people want black rims then $25 per person (minus shipping, etc).

hope this helps.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I assume at that price that you have to do all of the prep work as far as poishing down the cast aluminum and degreasing everything? Be careful with getting cheap powder coating done, it's just like getting cheap chrome work. I may be buying a powder system and doing it myself, my buddies own a shop and it would be beneficial for all.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
montoya, yeah i know like anything you want to avoid the cheap guy. But i've seen the operation. They have a 30'x14'x11' booth and do big item runs for a lot of people. Told us for our signs that everything that can be put in the oven at one time was $250.

I assume some prep, but our wheels are already powdercoated silver so it should'nt take much. They will blast the parts and then run it through their cleaning system that has 4 stages, i believe

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't think that the factory wheel finish is powder coated, I was able to remove
the finish with paint remover (paint remover won't attack a powder coated finish).

I would check out local powder coaters also, last year when I built a Big Bear Prostreet kit,
I used a local place, had the frame, swingarm, oil bag & misc brackets done in gloss black,
they did all of the prep work and masking and it was a lot charge of $125 and I got the parts
back the next day (they had the swing shift do the work, as a g-job, I knew the owner of the place ::))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts