M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

found it at...

http://store.58cycle.com/product_p/swing brkt gsxr6 97-05.htm

i cut a couple of inches off to keep it tight into the hub.

put it on with a 5/8" x 6" concrete/mortar expansion bolt found at Lowe's hardware store.

it's still a bit loose. i need to find a way to keep it from spinning around when bumped. i'll work on that tomorrow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
you need to use a 3/4 inch expantion plug i found one at the local parts store. how much does the license plate holder wiegh is it stainless or aluminum?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The brace is made of thick precision cut polished stainless steel while the curved tag backing has a brushed finish.
it's hefty, but i doubt it comes anywhere near how heavy those thick ones with the lights and stuff in them are. this thing is pretty thin.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright, figured out a solution for the spinning problem. when you buy the expansion bolts, buy 2 of them (5/8" x 6" parasleeve masonry bolt). i also used 2 rubber washers, and a larger rubber O-ring with this.

1. take the expansion bolts completely apart. grab the 2 smallest sleeves, and one of the expansion sleeves and put all 3 on 1 bolt.
2. put some blue loctite on the end where the nuts go on. screw on one nut, and slide the bolt into the axel.
3. the first nut fits perfectly into the outer hexagonal part of the axel! this is what makes it impossible for the plate mount to spin.
4. with vice grip pliers, turn the expansion bolt until it becomes tight.
*optional* put the larger rubber o-ring around the outside of the axel.
5. glue the 2 rubber washers on either side of the plate mount on the hole. put on the metal washers that came with the bolts over them, and put them on to the bolt.
6. put some more blue loctite on the threads, and spin on the 2nd nut.
7. tighten the nut as tight as you can. this nut tightens *against* the other nut that is already on, making a very strong bind, with some vibration dampening. let the locktite cure.
8. the plate no longer relies on the expansion bolt to keep it from spinning. the hex housing against the hex bolt makes it impossible for the entire assembly to rotate.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Pretty cool. Does it come without the Gixxer logo though? I'd hate for people to get confused... LOL

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
our bike is an "R" ;P

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why not use the threaded hole that is just above the axle hex? won't move up and down at all on that one....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Phaed,

First of all, very cool. I will get one after I pay off the pipes i just put on the credit card, at least that is what the boss told me. Anyway, have you tried mounting it with the bolt that is above and a little forward of the axle on the final drive? That is where I put my plate mount and didn't require anything more than what was already there. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i looked at that other hole and considered it. it'd work with a spacer like that other thread shows. you'd still be prone to it rotating if you didn't rest it on the hub. resting it on the hub and scratching it all up doesn't really sit right with me.

i also think it looks wierd being off-center, and you won't be able to get it as snug around the hub unless it's off the axel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts