M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I had 7 degree trees installed at a local shop and now the forks "clunk" when compressed, Does anyone have experience with this?:dontknow:

Thanks in advance

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
It could be a couple things. If the triple tree is loose it will make a clonk, if they didn't get enough fluid in the forks they will bottom out and clonk.

Did they have the forks apart or just transfer them to the new trees?

Easy check for the trees being loose is to put it on a lift, get the front wheel off the ground, then grab both forks and pull/push it front to back. Do it easy and you can feel if it's loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said they just transfered the forks over, they think it has something to do with the new angle of the forks and that some other rake setups require a special part to be installed inside the forks. Do you know of any special additions for the inside of the forks on the 109? They also said they had to order a new seal and bearing for the neck, could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks for the reply BTW

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
I would start by doing the check that Zoom stated. Just jack the bike so the front tire is off the ground, reach down and grab the forks down low and push/pull front to back and forth. If it's loose, you'll feel it and it will probably clunk. If it does, either the steering stem nut is too loose, the bearings don't match the stem or you've got Morton trees with tube extensions and the installer didn't finish the job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I checked with the shop this morning and they had done the push/pull test and movement is in the lower part of the forks, (the sliders), not in the trees so they're sure it must be inside the tubes. They are Mortons and they have been trying to get in touch with them. So it sounds like we're on the right track, We'll just have to see what Morton says.

I'm just curious if anyone else has installed this particular brand and if they had any issues, what was the fix.

Thanks greatly for the help guys, much appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
did u ever figure out your problem?... i just got my 9 and notice it did the same sound....

·
Registered
791 Posts
Have to replace my seal in the right shock tube. After a slow leak from the inner seal it finally started clunking when compressed. (assuming it lost enough fluid to cause the clunking)
Check for any grease by your caliper or on the fork tube itself. You may have had a slow leaker.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bike is onle 6 months old
I have the same thing
Just had the forks pollished and they have been upside down all over the place.
If u compress the forks there is like a knotch feel in the middle .
taking it for a service on friday will try and find out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My left fork is doing the same thing my local dealer said the spring could not be setting in the top of the fork right
still working on fixing it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts