M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anybody here with experience rebuilding the forks<

Heres the scoop, My right fork started leaking on a long trip and i had to limp it home( a days ride) anyway< i get it home to find i have some road tar or sap or something stuct to my lower inside fork tube. Well i tear the bike down following instructions and on the inner side of the outter tube there is what is reffered to as the "Anti-friction Metals" which looks like a seal that is placed just above the seal assembly. This anti friction material was scared about a quater inch and after the reassembly i have a very thin skimming of oil on the lower tube when compressed.

The questions i have are 1) do the new seals need a few miles on the to seat, meaning this skimming of oil is normal for the time being? 2) it this anti friction material is the culprit is is replaceable or do i have to get a new outter tube?

Please only respond if you can contribute to either the cause or resolution thanks
rick

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Is there anybody here with experience rebuilding the forks<

Heres the scoop, My right fork started leaking on a long trip and i had to limp it home( a days ride) anyway< i get it home to find i have some road tar or sap or something stuct to my lower inside fork tube. Well i tear the bike down following instructions and on the inner side of the outter tube there is what is reffered to as the "Anti-friction Metals" which looks like a seal that is placed just above the seal assembly. This anti friction material was scared about a quater inch and after the reassembly i have a very thin skimming of oil on the lower tube when compressed.

The questions i have are 1) do the new seals need a few miles on the to seat, meaning this skimming of oil is normal for the time being? 2) it this anti friction material is the culprit is is replaceable or do i have to get a new outter tube?

Please only respond if you can contribute to either the cause or resolution thanks
rick
The iner tube should be smooth as chrome from top to bottom. The outer tube, just abouve the dust seal and fork seal, is a bushing that does not need to be removed. It is approx. 14mm in width and is around the inside perimeter of the outer fork tube. Seals should seal immediately---not take even a hour extra of use. I am curious about what you call "friction material". Are you talking about the bushing? Also, did you inspect the inner tube area where the seal would be touching thorouhly? Any small rock ding would cause the seal to tare again and fail---very important to check this.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
i just had mine done at the stealer and the tech said that mine leaked because of scratches in the inner tube. i have no idea how they got scratched. he said he polished them out and cleaned them up alot otherwise they would just leak again.:dontknow:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The iner tube should be smooth as chrome from top to bottom. The outer tube, just abouve the dust seal and fork seal, is a bushing that does not need to be removed. It is approx. 14mm in width and is around the inside perimeter of the outer fork tube. Seals should seal immediately---not take even a hour extra of use. I am curious about what you call "friction material". Are you talking about the bushing? Also, did you inspect the inner tube area where the seal would be touching thorouhly? Any small rock ding would cause the seal to tare again and fail---very important to check this.
I spoke with the service manager at my local dealer(Rosenau powersports in dearborn mi) Great guy< very helpful. anyway he explained to me that the "anti-friction material" as it is called in the manual is a type of race or bearing if you will that is comprised of copper and coated with teflon. He stated it is normal to have some wear on these surfaces and that shouldn't cause a leak. If you are wondering these are replaceable but they dont state that in the manual.
Greg (service manager) instructed me to first relax, then to pull the dust cover and see if i can determine if the leak is occuring between the iner tube and seal or outter tube and seal so i did.
Funny thing is after pulling the fork again and once again cleaning up the area i cant see where a leak is occuring and with the dust cover out of its seated position there is no oil skim on the tube!!! go figure< I must have just had some oil in between the seal and dust cover or the seal just needed to be seated> I will keep you posted as to the outcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts