M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a leak in the front right fork a month ago (just over 12K kms on the clock).

Apparently the repair isn't covered by the warranty supplied here in New Zealand, which specifically excludes seals, but that's another story.

Had the seal replaced a week ago, no visible damage to the old one, and hey presto.. It is still leaking :mad:

Any ideas as to what else could be wrong?? Thought I'd better check before I go and blow the crap out of the guys at the dealer's workshop.

These are the guys that couldn't fit the Roadhouse slip-ons, over-filled the oil, and took three tries and a radiator check to find the coolant leak.

Only Suzuki shop in town and i've just about had enough.

·
Radio Active Member
27,661 Posts
Sounds like it's time to go to the next town to another dealer. PM BigPapaM109. He just had the right seal leaking like you and one dealer said that it was not covered and another dealer covered it. Some people do there job and other don't. It's not like they do it for free. Suzuki pays for it.

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
If the new seal is leaking too, you could have a ding in the fork tube. It doesn't take much.

Put the bike on a lift, or do something to get the forks to extend out as far as they will go. Take a microfiber towel and run around the tube and see if it snags on anything. It doesn't take much of a ding to damage a seal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the posts guys,

Found a tiny, and I mean tiny, nick/ding/speck on the tube about 3.5 inches above where the fork bottoms out. Could be the problem but I'm still pissed that the shop guys didn't check.

Forgot to mention that they told me the back rotor was loose because it was a heavy bike and I was using the back brake too much. :edit:

The next shop is 4.5 hours away and they would have worked on far fewer 109's than my one. Can't wait for the warranty to run out and go to another place..

·
Registered
7 Posts
rear rotor loose

Hi Chuck im up Rotorua way had the rear rotor done under warranty beginning of this year:bigthumbsup: , they said that suzuki said i was using the rear brake to much (which i dont, standard reply me thinks) also but just replaced it anyway, if they persist tell them about the joint brakes on the c109 and tell em that in the learners test you have to use both together to pass they are only trying you on i think, if it is only loose at this stage it will quickly get to where it will rattle as you come to a halt even if not using it, well mine did ,As far as seal goes take it back to them and get them to do the job properly though they may say the ding in fork is not there problem as it was caused by something that marked it in the past. Best of luck and cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got them to fix the rotor on Suzuki last year. Not being the most mechanical of guys I kept an eye on it thanks to finding out about it on this website. Can't believe the line they gave me but.

As for the re-leaking seal, it turns out they used an after-market seal to replace the original, so that could have been the problem, or it could have been the ding.

Anyway they replaced the seal with a Suzuki factory seal - this time for free - and polished out the ding so hopefully I'm all good to go. Off on a trip down South through the Catlins this weekend (one of the most beautiful roads in the world for those unfamiliar with it).

Ride safe everyone!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts