M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a number of (?inexperienced?) owners/riders who have commented on the fact that they think the M109 vibrates, especially under hard acceleration. Others have responded but saying: "Duh? -- It's a V-twin."

Here is a commnetary from "MCN" (?Motorcycle News?) which I came across when doing a Google search RE: M109R by a motorcycle professional:

MCN -- June 2006, page 16 -- Suzuki M109R: Super Cruiser

"Most impressive is the power on tap with the slightest twist of the right wrist ... Perhaps the next most impressive feature of the 109 is the absence of vibration. We can't think of another V-twin that runs so smoothly. We found the mirrors to offer us one, and only one, image when we glanced to the rear, regardless of engine speed." -- Walt Fulton, Contributor

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another commentary from the same Google search:

Rider -- July 2006, page 50 -- Mr. Motor

"With the engine belting out its lumpy idle we chunked it into gear and, once rolling, holy mother of pearl, did that thing pull! Give it heavy throttle low in the rev range, and the M109R shudders and pounds through the seat like a built bike, but as soon as it crosses about 2,500 rpm the engine smoothes out and remains so up to redline." -- Bill Stermer, Contributor

·
Registered
702 Posts
I also agree.

I 've been testing many v-twin bikes since this season, thinking I could sell the boss on a 2 up bike, and it always vibrates like an engine or transmission mount is loose (in a car). I get back on the 9 and say to myself: What's wrong with these other v-twins? (unless you're going really slow)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
tomph1 said:
Another commentary from the same Google search:

Rider -- July 2006, page 50 -- Mr. Motor

"With the engine belting out its lumpy idle we chunked it into gear and, once rolling, holy mother of pearl, did that thing pull! Give it heavy throttle low in the rev range, and the M109R shudders and pounds through the seat like a built bike, but as soon as it crosses about 2,500 rpm the engine smoothes out and remains so up to redline." -- Bill Stermer, Contributor
Key words being LOW in the Rev range. It does shudder if you ask it to jump when you are in too high a gear for the RPM.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't give a crap what some rag says. I also don't give a crap whether you think I'm inexperienced or not. My 109 vibrates plenty between 3-4k rpm, especially in fifth gear. If I use fifth gear at 4k rpm or higher, it's a little better, but it still vibrates enough to bother me. If I run it in fourth gear at 4k rpm or higher it's a little smoother still. That's the way my bike is. Yours may not be. If you don't like. Tough.

·
Registered
267 Posts
jloss said:
I don't give a crap what some rag says. I also don't give a crap whether you think I'm inexperienced or not. My 109 vibrates plenty between 3-4k rpm, especially in fifth gear. If I use fifth gear at 4k rpm or higher, it's a little better, but it still vibrates enough to bother me. If I run it in fourth gear at 4k rpm or higher it's a little smoother still. That's the way my bike is. Yours may not be. If you don't like. Tough.
You shouldn't be in 5th at 4,000 rpms. This bike likes to be pushed and if your in too high of a gear, it will "rumble" a bit.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Jloss you are right !!! We, my father and i just got back from Dayton and cruised 80 mph most of the way there and back,in fifth gear @ 3600 rpm's you will maintain this speed.
there is what I call the sweet spot of vibration between 3500and 4000 rpm's specially under power!!! but it was a sweet ride up there and back my bike didn't miss a lick :bigthumbsup:
I don't know were that guy got from 2500 to red line it was smooth cause he's full of CA CA :bigthumbsup: BUT Suzuki has done wonders with the motor mounts and killed a LOT of the Vibration IMHO after running 80 and 85 mph for over and hour and a half,it felt smooth as butter running 60 and 70 in town :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
Keep in mind this is a BIG twin with 4.4 inch pistons,how do you think it's supposed to feel!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Mine runs smoother than ANY V Twin I've ever owned. I don't lug it around though,they all run rough when lugging in too high of a gear. :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
It may not be as smooth as a V 4 but it's not enough to bother me .....still if someone were to build a 250 hp V4 in a nice lookin' cruiser ....color me there man. :doorag:
Dave

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with Pretientious: Jloss -- It sounds lie you're just a four-cylinder (or six-cylinder) type of guy. Or you might like an "opposed twin" like the 2-cylinder Beemers where the forces from one side tend to cancel out the ones on the from the other.

This was not intended as a put-down -- but these bike reviewers get to ride a lot of different machines, and I think that they are in a position to make legitimate comparisons (although I don't always agree with their conclusions either). It just struck me that both of these reviewers chose to rate the M109 at the TOP of the heap in this particular category -- providing a bit of a perspective -- and one that might differ from that of most of us on this Board, most of whom are biased in favor of the 109 because we own them.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I think I know what the OP it talking about. If you cruise around 4k or 4.5k RPM, there is a vibration that I would describe as a tickling sensation in your butt. I have noticed it, but normally I don't cruise at that RPM, so I don't have an issue with it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Fifth gear on this bike is way too high to be trying to ride below 4000 rpms. This is the first V-twin I've ever owned, but I can truly say that I've had plenty of inline fours that translated more vibration to the handlebars and seat than the 109 does.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
eire1965 said:
Fifth gear on this bike is way too high to be trying to ride below 4000 rpms. This is the first V-twin I've ever owned, but I can truly say that I've had plenty of inline fours that translated more vibration to the handlebars and seat than the 109 does.
Come on now... Don't spread such nonsense. I cruise all the time in 5th gear at 70mph which is right at 3300rpm. It's as smooth as butter. I notice the vibration mentioned more when cruising in 4th gear at 4k to 4.5k rpm. I run like this when on twisty roads to keep the rpm up in the corners. It tickles a bit when keeping the bike at those rpm for long periods.

G

·
I traded an 05 Roadstar in on the 109 and there was a huge difference between the two. Every bolt ont he Roadstar had to be put on with locktite or it would come loose. No lie, I had to check the bolts every month because things were coming loose all the time. No problem with the 109.

·
Registered
775 Posts
ok; y'all whine all you want. but, when i'm sitting at a redlight and i watch the tank doing that little dance with the engine rythm, i just get a warm fuzzy feeling inside. it means it has "POWER"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts