M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you do it?  :D
I bought the Silver Bullet amber LED's to put on over the weekend (2361's)... I took off one of the stockers and was suprised to find how they had attached everything up in the headlight and chrome signal bracket.

Getting the stockers off is pretty easy, but how do you get the hollow bolt through the same hole that the stockers came out of (Bolt is too long to do it with the Chrome bar still mounted to the bike)

I looked at pulling the chrome bar off the bike, mounting the new signal lights, then bolting it back on but there is an allen bolt that holds the bar to a frame inside the headlight nacelle. Once I have the hollow mounting bolt in place to hold the new signal light I dont see any way to get that allen bolt back into the headlight bracket.

I know more then a few have done this. I am hoping you can get me pointed in the right direction.
(Already read Lamonts thread on the topic, but he pretty much sticks to the electrical, doesnt say much about the mechanical).

Thanks  :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I drilled holes up higher in the chrome area you're typing about.I could get a 12 MM wrench up behind there to tighten it down.Then I went to the local HD store and got 2 chrome 5/8th plugs for $1.49 each and plugged the holes.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You will need a couple of washers for each of the hollow bolts. I just feed the wires from
the silver bullets thru the washer that goes on the outside, then thru the stock housing and pull the wires out thru the back side (near fork tubes), then from the back, feed your other washer
and hollow bolt thru the wires, and use the wire as a guide for the hollow bolt, wiggle a little
and presto, the hollow bolt comes thru the stock housing (if I remember, I had to cut about
1/4" off of the hollow bolt also). Good luck.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips... I want to use the existing holes if I can, but may try the new hole Idea if I cant get it to work. tworangerted, yours definately looks clean. Thanks for posting a pic also!

You got the chrome plugs at The Home Depot?

Z4woo... Once you cut 1/4" off the hollow bolts and could get them through the bracket, into the LED, were you able to get an allen or wrench onto them to crank em down? Or did you have to get creative here as well?

Thanks again for the feedback.
:bigthumbsup:  :bigthumbsup:

P.S Blurple is faster!  :D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
naaaahhh,Harley Davidson.

·
Registered
292 Posts
it seems we have been on the same mod at the same time before.
I made a couple sleeves out of some stainless at work.....I took the diminsions off the stock part.....
my lights are a one piece setup and the threaded end wasn't long enough to go All the way thru so I'm going to hold it in where that stock screw goes and clamp it in.....any way I turned a couple extras while I was set up for it you can have em if you want them.....e-mail me for more detail. I also made some aluminum sleeves first and changed my mind the I.D. hole on them are .362

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FOURNINES said:
it seems we have been on the same mod at the same time before.
I made a couple sleeves out of some stainless at work.....I took the diminsions off the stock part.....
my lights are a one piece setup and the threaded end wasn't long enough to go All the way thru so I'm going to hold it in where that stock screw goes and clamp it in.....any way I turned a couple extras while I was set up for it you can have em if you want them.....e-mail me for more detail. I also made some aluminum sleeves first and changed my mind the I.D. hole on them are .362
Looking at the Pics... how did you mate the signal to your home brewed sleeve? Is the bolt just slid in, then the set screw holds it in place?
The Kuryakyns I have are a similar setup, but opposite. The light is Female, and there is a hollow bolt that goes into it... I could possibly thread the bolt into the light with some Super Heavy duty locktight, then cut the "Extra" bolt, including the head, off. Then use the set screw to hold the light in position like the stockers... I like it!! :bigthumbsup: What is inside diameter of your fab'd sleeves?

Nice work by the way! Wish I had the tools and skills to fab my own parts like this!! :bigthumbsup:

I am going to see if I can make it work like Z4woo (By cutting 1/2" off the bolts) so I don't have to take your spare sleeves.
if I cant get it to work like I want then I will definately take you up on your offer.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i removed front and rear turn signals on mine and made my own turn signals out of led light strips.
they are very bright and i am often told that they are too bright. ;)
that suits me fine since making sure everyone sees me on the road helps me stay safer.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I removed the stock fronts, cut the end off and tapped them so my new ones would screw right into them. Then just remounted them in the original holes.. :doorag:

Sorry these are the only pics I currently have.

·
Registered
461 Posts
windycityrider said:
i removed front and rear turn signals on mine and made my own turn signals out of led light strips.
they are very bright and i am often told that they are too bright. ;)
that suits me fine since making sure everyone sees me on the road helps me stay safer.
Would love to see a photo of that. I have seen a Victory model that has something similar and think the idea is kewl, at least to me.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I ditched the chrome things and mounted my billet LEDs right to the small black bracket. Brings the signals in closer for a smoother look.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
teds109 said:
I drilled holes up higher in the chrome area you're typing about.I could get a 12 MM wrench up behind there to tighten it down.Then I went to the local HD store and got 2 chrome 5/8th plugs for $1.49 each and plugged the holes.
Ted,

Very clean. Can you come over and do mine? Free beer.

JUtah.. beers on the tap waiting... much beer

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Swede said:
I removed the stock fronts, cut the end off and tapped them so my new ones would screw right into them. Then just remounted them in the original holes.. :doorag:

Sorry these are the only pics I currently have.
did the same but used chrome bushings, drilled and taped a hole to hold them in.... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
sorry for not posting a pic. i'm having trouble posting on here. PM me, and include your email, if you'd like me to send you a pic and i'd be happy to.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was able to mount my Kuryakyn 2361 small amber LEDs to the original chrome piece using the stock turn signal adapters. Slide the hollow bolt through the adapter and tighten nut on back side using a custom bent open end Craftsman wrench. I can email the pics if anyone is interested in how it looks.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Brim Reaper said:
Hey azvforce! What kind of air intake is that? :bigthumbsup: Looks KEWL!
Its:
ABS 2" female to male piece available at Home Depot
(2) K&N part number RC-2580

I believe they flow plenty and I like seeing more motor and less air intake/filters.
Been running it for over a year and 6K miles now with no problems at all. Just cleaned and re oiled them for the first time last week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts