M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil yesterday. I have about 4800 miles on the bike and my 600 mile service was done at around 800 miles or so. One thing I noticed when draining my old oil was a smell of gasoline. I don't think this is normal. I used to smell this in my Corolla that was 13 years old with over 100K miles, but not in my newer vehicles. So, for those that have changed their own oil, have you noticed this smell? For the gearheads here (Lamont, JR, et. al.) what could be causing this? Would it be a bad ring letting combustion gasses past and into the oil? My oil level when I changed it was dead center of the hash mark, so I don't think I'm using any oil. What should I do about this? I don't want this to become a big problem 'after' my warranty runs out, so I would rather have it dealt with now if it needs to be.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
IMO its a normal gas motor thing............. most the cars/trucks(5 of them) I change oil on are diesels, so when I change oil in the bike or help the boss with his Tahoe the smell of gas in the oil is just about sickening to me. That being said the diesel oil has a different smell when changed too and will stain anything it touches :p
I wouldn't be worried about it unless I started to "gain" oil ;) There is also never a "total" seal when I come to the rings (if there was the pistons couldn't move) so there is always a little comtamantion between the oil/gas.

If you are really worried about it you can go to Napa and buy an oil analysis kit and get the oil tested, that will tell you if you could have a bigger problem the just the usual contamination :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I feel a little better now. I'll check the plugs and see how they look.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As I understand the PAIR system is used for the return of exhaust gasses to the crankcase when decelerating...in other words this would contain unburnt fuel, as this is the intended procedure for emission control.
I'm sure this is the reason for your concern or if wrong then other comments are welcome.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. It just had me concerned because I've been changing my own oil in all my vehicles for several years now, and first noticed this smell in my old Corolla, which didn't have the best maintenance record and had over 100K miles. I just took it as leaky injectors dripping fuel into the cyliner head while the car was turned off or maybe bad rings. Basically, I assumed it was an old engine, and that's why I smelled gas in it. Don't smell gas in my 1998 Camry with 100K miles or my 1994 Trailblazer with 25K miles. It surprised me to smell it in my brand new bike with less than 5K miles.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
actually the pair system is like all the other mfg's clean air system and it takes unburnt crankcase vapors and passes them into the exhaust port to be burned. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts