M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those thinking about the 160/60VR-18 these pics should help you decide. I've done a ton of searching and these pics decided it for me. Ordering it today along w/ the 260 Metz rear. Thanks for all the input guys. Should have done a better job of searching in the 1st place. Sloppy on my part :redfaced:

Hopefully this helps someone in a future search

Pics 'borrowed' for Whitestar and Nacnud109r.<--Thanks! Guess which tire is not stock in this pic on the left

· Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
6,058 Posts
I've been thinking about this also, and decided to go for it next time. Not replacing my Metz 130 while it's still serviceable, however.

I was also told it improves ground clearance a little (taller tire) and that's a bonus!

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been thinking about this also, and decided to go for it next time. Not replacing my Metz 130 while it's still serviceable, however.

I was also told it improves ground clearance a little (taller tire) and that's a bonus!
You can always cut the 130 in 1/2 and use it as floss:bigthumbsup:

· Registered
384 Posts
Pro & Cons

What are the pros and cons of having the larger tire. I like the look of it but need to know what i am gaining and/or loosing by going up in size.

For those thinking about the 160/60VR-18 these pics should help you decide. I've done a ton of searching and these pics decided it for me. Ordering it today along w/ the 260 Metz rear. Thanks for all the input guys. Should have done a better job of searching in the 1st place. Sloppy on my part :redfaced:

Hopefully this helps someone in a future search

Pics 'borrowed' for Whitestar and Nacnud109r.<--Thanks! Guess which tire is not stock in this pic on the left

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
front the recent searching I've done, w/ the metz 160 better handling and grip than the stocker. Could not find anyone who was not thrilled w/ the switch

G

·
What are the pros and cons of having the larger tire. I like the look of it but need to know what i am gaining and/or loosing by going up in size.
Much more nuetral handling (less countersteering to maintain a line through corners). Much more ground clearance allowing greater lean angles and therefore smaller turn radius at speed. And better straight line stability. And with a stickier tire like the Metz better braking performance and shorter stopping distances. The brakes on the 9 will easily over power the stock front tire. It locks up easily. The taller tire has more leverage over the brakes but with a stickier compond and larger footprint you can brake much harder before lock up and stop shorter. It's all good here.:bigthumbsup:

· Registered
2,694 Posts
Ok so I am working super hard today, and have done nothing productive for the US Army, but I have done alot of research and found out that the Metz ME880 is what I am gonna go with for my next set of tires. Almost as much life expectancy as the E3 but much stickier. Sized 160/60/18 and 260/40/18 of course........unless I can find a killer deal on a 10'' rim, then 280 it is!

G

·
Ok so I am working super hard today, and have done nothing productive for the US Army, but I have done alot of research and found out that the Metz ME880 is what I am gonna go with for my next set of tires. Almost as much life expectancy as the E3 but much stickier. Sized 160/60/18 and 260/40/18 of course........unless I can find a killer deal on a 10'' rim, then 280 it is!
I must admit that the 280/10inch combo looks good, the 260 on the stock wheel will handle better though.

· Registered
4,899 Posts
Much more nuetral handling (less countersteering to maintain a line through corners). Much more ground clearance allowing greater lean angles and therefore smaller turn radius at speed. And better straight line stability. And with a stickier tire like the Metz better braking performance and shorter stopping distances. The brakes on the 9 will easily over power the stock front tire. It locks up easily. The taller tire has more leverage over the brakes but with a stickier compond and larger footprint you can brake much harder before lock up and stop shorter. It's all good here.:bigthumbsup:
:crackpipe:

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats the combo I ordered today!!

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya, what he said!!!!!!

· Registered
237 Posts
i ride this with a dunnie 250 8.5" wheel winter&280 10" wheel come warmer weather (soon i hope)rides good on both looks great with both:bigthumbsup:

only issue is when u go over stoney roads,a little noisey because of the clearance,but not an issue.!

· Registered
654 Posts
I personally like the look of a taller slimmer tire myself. I wish I had the money to go with a 21" wheel but I don't so I will keep running the stock size tire. I don't like the looks of a fatter front tire at all.
It's your bike so I have no problem with you putting one on it. I just won't put it on my bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.