M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I have around 100 leds on my 9 and I have left it on overnight in the garage and my bike still started up no problems even with the stock battery from 2006. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Unless you have a short somewhere in your wiring, you can go 2-3 days with your LEDs on w/ out running your bike and you will be fine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
well according to what you said you have on the bike your only pulling 2.0264 amps. with a total of 264 lights.

you should be able to leave those on for more than 24 hours with no problem.

truth be told...you actually have more amperage pulled from leavin the key on to the bike for 2 mins than what your LED are pulling in 2 hours.

that being said.....show that bad boy off!!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Now that I had the LED's installed, How long do you guys leave them ON before the battery runs out of juice to start the bike? I just don't want to look like a moron, lol.
Let me ask a certified Electrical Avionics Technician....why hello, I'm a certified Electrical Avionics Technician....I agree with everyone else. You have nothing to worry about. I left my LED's on 6 months ago, and I'm sure my bike hasn't died yet...:joke:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
well according to what you said you have on the bike your only pulling 2.0264 amps. with a total of 264 lights.

you should be able to leave those on for more than 24 hours with no problem.

truth be told...you actually have more amperage pulled from leavin the key on to the bike for 2 mins than what your LED are pulling in 2 hours.

that being said.....show that bad boy off!!!:bigthumbsup:
:agree: the more led's you have the more you draw. but you don't have anything to worry about until you start running overing 1,000 led's. but also factor in the age and condition of your battery. a newer battery will handle the draw much easier than an older battery that is on it's last leg.
just my .02

·
Registered
960 Posts
Let me ask a certified Electrical Avionics Technician....why hello, I'm a certified Electrical Avionics Technician....I agree with everyone else. You have nothing to worry about. I left my LED's on 6 months ago, and I'm sure my bike hasn't died yet...:joke:
Do you often have conversations with yourself?:joke: Glad you're here!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I have 500 leds on my bike a new battery and left lights on for 4 + hrs an it killed battery so are you guys saying I have a short somewhere just thought it was a lot of lights drawing to much power. I start bike every once an awhile if just hangin out but will check for s short if you guy say it should start after that many hrs.

·
Registered
262 Posts
No you don't have a short.....

Your pulling about 3.8 amps per hour. If you had a short your fuse would blow or wiring would burn up. Most LEDs have 20-22 awg wiring and it doesn't take much for it to burn up if there was a short.

More than likely if the battery is the stock battery from 06 then its probably in need of changing. You should be able to keep your lights on for upwards of 8 hours with no problem.

:edit: just saw where you said you have a new battery....maybe you are drawing enuf amperage to drain the battery....unlikely but possible I guess.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I know tugboat we have talked thru pm's about this so I bought a new battery an thought I would be ok I will just start the bike every once an a while an all should be good one more thing I am using lever connectors to wire mine could that be an issue.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm testing my system right now. I purchased 2 kits from member texas109. I'll check it in approximately 6-8 hours and edit post.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
how many leds are you testing ? will stay post to see your results thanks I might do the same safer in garage where I have a battery tender on hand

·
Registered
483 Posts
how many leds are you testing ? will stay post to see your results thanks I might do the same safer in garage where I have a battery tender on hand
I'll have to contact the member because it was strips and I can't remember off hand.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have 500 leds on my bike a new battery and left lights on for 4 + hrs an it killed battery so are you guys saying I have a short somewhere just thought it was a lot of lights drawing to much power. I start bike every once an awhile if just hangin out but will check for s short if you guy say it should start after that many hrs.
I dont have 500 LEDs on my bike, I have probably around 200. And I left my LEDs on over the weekend and my bike fired up just fine. I still have my stock battery in my '08.

And all my LEDs are wired with the lever locks from custom dynamics.

Which LEDs do you have on your bike?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I know tugboat we have talked thru pm's about this so I bought a new battery an thought I would be ok I will just start the bike every once an a while an all should be good one more thing I am using lever connectors to wire mine could that be an issue.
i don't think your lever connectors would be an issue, although i prefer to solder all of my connections.

perhaps there is a loose ground in your battery terminal that could be causing an abnormal drain from your battery and not have anything to do with the led's.

i have the gman industries gbat battery and i can safely have my led's on for at least four hours steadily and have no problems with the bike starting right up. i haven't tested the bike for any longer than four hours, because i don't see myself leaving the lights on for longer than that without riding it.

also keep in mind that merely starting the bike and leaving it at idle will not charge up the battery. the bike has to be in a minimum rpm range in order to properly charge the battery. perhaps starting it up and taking it for a quick fifteen minute ride would be better. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts