M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing special just thought I would post some pics of the parts. Its pretty easy to take apart except for the heat shield on the belly. They spot welded two of the bolt heads on the heatshield, but the dremel took care of that and was able to get them out. The bolt heads are easy to strip out and that goes for the ones not spot welded either. Oh almost forgot the hose clamps SUCK.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Nice pics. I would like to see a pointer demonstrating where the SET ends, and the "collector" begins.

I keep hearing about thses guys doing mods to their exhaust, and then "refitting" the old heat shields. How do you actually "refit" the heat shields (which I assume implies re-bending them (as well as cutting them) -- without getiing kinks, wrinkles, scuffs, etc. on the chrome????

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eire I would say the mass in the center on the last pix is the catalytic converter.

Thanks bob and tom, hey don't you have a morning show :D

Tom I would say, buy I'm not 100% sure right now that here is where it is

·
Registered
844 Posts
Bearcom: I assume that those are your pipes. The Board says you're from TN. -- why would you have a catalytic converter?? (I thought that was on California bikes only).

Any thoughts on how you "re-fit" the heat shields without messing them up??

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
tomph1 said:
 Bearcom: I assume that those are your pipes. The Board says you're from TN. -- why would you have a catalytic converter?? (I thought that was on California bikes only).

Any thoughts on how you "re-fit" the heat shields without messing them up??
The California bikes have the O2 sensors. I think all production bikes come with Cat converters to meet EPA requirements.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep yep yep

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Medic1210 said:
The California bikes have the O2 sensors. I think all production bikes come with Cat converters to meet EPA requirements.
no, the US bikes all 50 states do not have o2 sensors nor do the Canadian 109's. The Cali bikes have some extra evaporative emission stuff related to the gas tank and hold less fuel as a result. The Aussie, UK, Euro and rest have o2 sensors. they all have catalytic converters.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a few more shots of the process, I love my Dremel :joke:

Here's Mr.Squeaky

Catalatic Converter

Here's my other Hobby, I love working on  :a18:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts