M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions for those of you that have a 2nd type of bike

1#: What model is your 2nd bike and why did you choose that model?
2#: Do you find yourself riding the 9 more or your 2nd bike more? Which one do you prefer.

For those of you that only have one bike

3#: If you could buy a 2nd bike, what would it be and why?

lb

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
We actually have 3 bikes, but one is stored and my wife rides the other. The one stored is a 80 HD Sportster 1000 that I bought back in 86, and it's still all original. She has a C50T, a few years ago she had an S50. I ride her bikes but she won't tackle the M109. If I were to buy a second bike I'd give a lot of consideration to the Indian Scout. They make a few different versions of it, but the Scout has a 69 cu.in. engine that makes 100 hp, and it's light compared to the 109. And it's not a bad looking bike. As I get older I was thinking about getting something still sporty but lighter and the Scout keeps popping up on my radar. Plus it's small enough that my wife would ride it too.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have several bikes. I bought the Nine because I like the look and performance and it's also quite comfortable now that I have a gel seat. I chose to ride the other bikes based on where I'm going and what I will be doing. The Gold Wings are used for carrying a passenger and when I need to go shopping and need the carrying capacity. The ST-1300 is used for riding by myself on longer rides than I would be comfortable riding the Nine and also when the weather is cold or wet, since the ST-1300 has a fairing. The VTX is similar to the Nine and I probably should sell it, but it's a beautiful bike and has different riding characteristics than the Nine.

·
Registered
2006 Silver M109R
470 Posts
I still have my first bike - 95 Triumph T-Bird 900 but I haven't rode it in years. Would probably cost too much to get it back on the road. If I were to buy another bike it will be the new Triumph Rocket 3. That is if I find an extra 20k laying around.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If i could buy a second Bike, it would be a Road Glide Special or a Indian Challenger as a Bagger. I would use the M1800R for my one day tripps and the other bike for traveling more then on day. A second M109R or C109R as a Bagger for traveling would also be okay (y)

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
2008 Suzuki B-King. Because I like the way it looks, the way it flattens my eyeballs on acceleration, and it's just a very rare motorcycle, only available in the states for one year, 2008. But overseas, 2007 - 15. And a friend owned it and it had very low miles when I bought it, 3,189.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've got an RC51and an XR650L supermoto I built , I've thrown about 5k at each of them in mods. I'm a former MX and roadracer , the 9 is a whole different animal for me. I thought my wife would be more comfortable on the 9 , but she prefers the RC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got an RC51and an XR650L supermoto I built , I've thrown about 5k at each of them in mods. I'm a former MX and roadracer , the 9 is a whole different animal for me. I thought my wife would be more comfortable on the 9 , but she prefers the RC.
Same. The 9 is my first “cruiser” or whatever the correct terminology is. I actually traded my klr650 for this bike but kept the DRZ400sm for sure. Go big or go home, I’m loving it!!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
Is the RC51 an SP1 or SP2? I used to really want one of those but I don't think my back would handle riding it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is the RC51 an SP1 or SP2? I used to really want one of those but I don't think my back would handle riding it.
SP-2 , '04 Nicky Hayden , I bought it new. I'm 58 and do have back trouble , but riding doesn't bother it. Sometimes riding actually helps when it does bother me.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
SP-2 , '04 Nicky Hayden , I bought it new. I'm 58 and do have back trouble , but riding doesn't bother it. Sometimes riding actually helps when it does bother me.
I'm almost 68 and don't have back problems, but riding a sport bike with my legs moved rearward and bent over for clip-ons gets my back, and hips somewhat, tired really quick. Back a couple decades ago I had a Katana 750 and it was rideable for me for an hour or so at most. I'd never ride it now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm almost 68 and don't have back problems, but riding a sport bike with my legs moved rearward and bent over for clip-ons gets my back, and hips somewhat, tired really quick. Back a couple decades ago I had a Katana 750 and it was rideable for me for an hour or so at most. I'd never ride it now.
Highway miles are hard , you just sit there , hauling ass through twisties , you're moving around and shifting and breaking , it keeps you loose.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Pre-emptive apologies for the rant, but this forum is pretty slow these days anyhow.

I kept the 9, but I bought a 2019 Yamaha Super Tenere as a second bike and I absolutely love it -- not because it's a particularly "fun" or "exciting" bike (it isn't) but because it's so functional. It lacks the looks and the low-end grunt of the M109R (being a 1200cc parallel twin), but it gives you all of the things the 9 is lacking:

-Factory cruise control, heated grips, windshield, and cigarette lighter power port on the dash
-Electronically-adjustable suspension (separate adjustments for preload and dampening) -- paired with the neutral riding position, I can ride a LOT longer without discomfort.
-A 6-speed transmission for the highway (but still a shaft-driven final drive)
-A factory NAV bar, for which I've got a Garmin Zumo XT mounted
-It's known to be bulletproof reliable. There are arguably better bikes in the class, like the BMW 1200GS, but you don't want to own one of those outside of warranty.

-I have aftermarket aluminum side-cases and a top case for hauling a TON of crap with me when I want, water-tight and lockable (one of my biggest complaints about the 9 is lack of storage). I can actually go to the hardware store on a bike now and BUY things -- even a 12-pack of soda is super easy to toss in a side case with plenty of room to spare. Took it out-of-state on vacation last year with my girlfriend and we each packed a week's worth of stuff.

-Best of all, when you come to a gravel road, you just... keep going. It's effectively a giant dirt bike with excellent highway manners and cruise control. It's a bit heavy for real off-roading, but people take them off road all the time. It's built for it. Side-mounted radiator (rocks can't hit it), spoked rims (but tubeless tires), lots of suspension travel, aftermarket crash bars and skid plate.

Basically, the Super Tenere is a swiss-army knife of a bike, 100% utilitarian, and I feel like it's the bike I always wanted but didn't know it. It's perfect for running around town and getting stuff done, or exploring unpaved country roads in the middle of nowhere, or going on long trips. But it's not a show bike, it doesn't turn heads like the 9.

I honestly stopped riding the 9 for a long time because it got to be so uncomfortable even on lower shock settings -- it rides rough on city roads. (I removed the air ride suspension because it kept leaking and killing my battery). However, I have recently starting riding the 9 a lot more again, because I found that setting the shock to a #6 or #7 made the ride SO much more comfortable 1 or 2 up. I had the shock set too low. Riding it again, I'd forgotten what real power feels like, and I'll never sell it. The 9 is too unique for me to ever sell. But I only ride it shorter distances, for fun instead of utility like the Tenere.

That's my rant for the day. I'm just surprised more people don't talk about bikes like the Tenere -- it checks a lot of boxes for me. I almost bought an FJR or a goldwing as a second bike, but I'm glad I didn't.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
There are arguably better bikes in the class, like the BMW 1200GS, but you don't want to own one of those outside of warranty.
There's nothing in the world wrong with a bike like the Super Tenere, unless you have short legs like I do. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could actually get on one without packing a stepladder. :)

I quoted your BMW comment because I had a real good friend who has had at least 3 of them. He started on adventure bikes with a Buell Ulysses, then went to the R1200GS, had two of those, and the last time I saw him he had a R1200GS Adventure. I worked with him and haven't seen him in a few years, but he loved those bikes. He commuted about 100 miles a day to work and mostly rode the bikes, and the travel never phased him a bit. And the R1200GS wasn't much slower than a 109 is, at least his wasn't when I woiuld ride with him after work. I don't know if the Tenere has a lower seat height than his BMW's had, but they were way too tall for me to ride. Odd since I used to ride motocross bikes when I was a teen, but I guess I just jumped on them and took off.

His only complaint was the price of accessories and service. He wanted, as he called them,, panniers. Instead of paying what BMW wanted, he bought a metal shear and brake and made his own. Turned out well so he made and sold a few sets on AV riders and recouped the money for the equipment. And he was a mechanic and did all his own service except for what BMW required to be done at a dealer for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
2017 M109R Boss
3 Posts
The 109 is my second bike, well, 1st now. Back in 08' I got a 00 yamaha roadstar. Went from no windshield, to windshield, to batwing fairing with harley bags, to a roadglide fairing on it. Love that bike, tons of power, love riding it.

We were going on a ride a few years ago and watched an accident in front of us. My wife quit riding, so after a bit I decided to get the 109. Love it, got the solo on it since she still isn't riding.

I ended up getting her a 2013 spyder, and now she has a 2016 spyder. Hell, that bike is a blast to ride as well. Lots of fun to play with.

Edit: Wow, guess I made this complicated. I still have the roadstar, and the 109. Forgive me for mentioning the spyder for my wife.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Spyder isn't a bike. It's a trike. Close but no cigar.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
So you didn't read where I talked about the 2 bikes I have, just went straight to the bottom of my post, good job.
I read the entire post. I saw about the accident you witnessed. I was not meaning to be hateful. But face it, a Spyder has three wheels. That is the definition of a tricycle. Like it or not.

·
Registered
2014 LE with a few mods.
18 Posts
I used to have a M109, then my wife and I decided to get a touring bike for longer trips with our friends. So we traded in the M109 and her C50T to get an Indian Roadmaster.
A little over a year ago she bought me another M109, then I upgraded the Roadmaster to the 2020 model.
So now I have my fun bike (the M109) and our traveling bike (the Roadmaster)
I am 63 and I've decided to keep the wife.

Enjoy it while you can!

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts