Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of rotating my handlebars up for some
time now and I finally gave it a shot yesterday. If your tall and you
haven't done it yet, do it! I find it a lot more comfortable and now the
handle bars don't hit my knees when I try to turn at full lock. What I
did was loosen up the clamps, sat on the bike, turned to full lock, placed
a finger between the bars and my leg, then I tightend up the clamps.
On the left side of the bar I loosened the clamp for the clutch, pulled it
tight to the bar, and rotated it up until the lever was a hair lower than
the "pass" button. Over on the right side I loosened the clamp and
rotated the lever up to match the height of the left lever.
Hope this helps, it helped me.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I did this when I did the lamonster cruise control
(so the air cleaner nut didnt hit the tank)

it does give a little more room, and maybe its just me but I think it made the bars feel lighter dropping into corners

·
Registered
190 Posts
I dont know how tall you are, but I actually rotated mine down. (I'm 6'3'') I prefer to lean forward slightly when I ride.

You must be pretty tall though if your bars were hitting your knees. My bars were nowhere near hitting my knees at stock position.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont know how tall you are, but I actually rotated mine down. (I'm 6'3'') I prefer to lean forward slightly when I ride.

You must be pretty tall though if your bars were hitting your knees. My bars were nowhere near hitting my knees at stock position.
I'm also 6'3" but a lot of it is leg. Only happens on tight parking lot
turns.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've rotated mine till they are level. The left controls (and I think the right side too) have a locator to stop the controls from spinning on the standard handle bars, and this makes it hard to rotate the controls so that the blinker/turn switch is in a comfortable position. I got a metal file and filed down the metal (I think it was aluminium from memory) locator, so that I could spin the controls around to where I wanted them, and then re-tightened them. I was a bit worried that the controls would spin around without the locator, but that was 18 months ago, and I they haven't moved one little bit.

·
Registered
922 Posts
YEP !

Done that the moment I got the bike home in 06. They seemed a little low from jump street. And
I am only 5' 7".

·
Registered
169 Posts
bar changed

I too was uncomfortable with the bars turned down as they do at the dealership. I turned mine up level about 2 years ago and love them that way. I did after a while experience lumbar pain that was fierce. I started using a fanny pack between my back and the back of the seat and the pain went away. Later I had my seat reupholstered to resemble the gel seats and she padded the back portion of the seat so as to move my bottom more forward. Now I ride more comfortably and without pain. It works. Other riders have tried my seat out and loved it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts