M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to postpone ordering parts for a month or so, because I had a very expensive pet bill. Here's a little back story:
I had badly injured my back in Peru nearly two years ago. I've spent the past 18 months having surgeries and being in various states of immobility, and being young-ish, sociable and fairly active, the inactivity and isolation was like torture. I have a cat, who generally was pretty standoffish, but throughout my injury she was constantly hanging out with me, sitting on my bed for days on end when I couldn't move, sitting on the couch and meowing at me, basically just keeping me company. There were some highlights in the summer months, when she would kill mice in the yard and bring them to me in bed, or when she somehow got into my christmas wrapping paper storage box and brought me a shiny bow. Anyways, she got very sick last week, losing a quarter of her body weight in about a week. Took her in to the vet, and they had to keep her in intensive care for four days, pumping her full of antibiotics and fluids to rehydrate her. Finally, on saturday she looked better from the IV, but she wasn't eating yet, and food was a requirement to reverse the damage to her liver and stomach. The vet told me there was nothing more they could do, and they said she could come home for a day. They gave me syringes to force-feed her, and told me if she wasn't eating on her own by this morning they would have to put her down. So home she came, and the first few force-feedings went exactly how you would expect force-feeding a cat would go: not well. But I started getting the hang of it, and she started getting the hang of it, so every three hours I'd set my alarm and get some food in her. Anyways, she was starting to perk up, even play a bit, which was great. Then, last night at 2 AM, my alarm went off and I headed downstairs to get her food ready. She popped up, and followed me downstairs. While I was preparing her food, I heard a noise, looked down, and she was chomping away at her hard food like it was no big deal. Thank god. I had become fairly attached to her, and guess I wasn't quite ready for her to go yet. Well, that and the fact that in the last week she has probably become the single most expensive former barn cat on earth.
So anyways, had to put off ordering a swingarm and replicator rim for a month or two, but it looks like my little buddy is going to be around for a while yet.
P.S. Even declawed there is not a dog in my neighbourhood that will go anywhere near her anymore...Pic number two is her "what the F#ck are you looking at, ese?" pose, and she made me pay for taking that picture.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
That's a great story and so glad your lil buddy is still with you. My 2 little dogs, Wiggles and Sugar are the same to me. There is never a dull moment with these 2 LOL. Wiggles ate a glass Christmas tree ornament when he was 2, That was pretty sad. Glass tore up his whole insides and several trips to the mainland to the vet, That was a $itch. He was in pain and all we could do is sit and wait for that damn boat. ARGGGGGGGGGGGG So glad to be off that rock.............

PS,,,,,,,,,,,My 2 buddies are always first!!!! Everything else is just a thing,

·
Registered
433 Posts
It is great to hear your buddy is better… It is amazing how animals are able to effect our lives … I also find it amazing how resilient our pets can be and what we will go through to make sure they are all right…

One day my 90lb. , very clumsy, pit-bull mastiff mix started limping, not really bad, but enough for some concern, so I took her to the vet and turns out she had a detached knee cap… Surgery, a cast, a cone, 8 weeks of physical therapy and $5000.00 in vet bills, she is 100% back to normal…

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Glad you have your friend around a while longer. It definitely is hard when they get old or injured. Our German Shepherd is 10 1/2 years old and it pains me to see him slow down. He looks at the stairs now like it is a brutal enemy. He actually will wait until he knows we have gone up or down for good before making the move. Other days he acts completely retarded and has the puppy bounce in his paws. It is the pets that get us through the bad times. I just look at him and he brightens up my darkest days.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Great story. We had the same problem with one of our cats. Had to force feed & IV fluids for at lease 2 weeks. She is back to normal now. If a cat does not eat, their body breaks down the fat and it clogs up their liver, if you can't get the fat flushed out with IV & force feeding, they will die.

Glad to see there are people who do not treat animals as disposible pets. I was a Vet Tech. for 13 years. I would see people just want their pet euthanized because as they were moving.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
That's an awesome story bro, and you made the right choice giving up the mods for your pet. They will give you more than the swing arm and rim ever could to get you healed up. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it's funny that I've been scrimping and saving for the swingarm and replicator for months now and was getting really excited to place the order and get it done, but when the issue with Lula came up I didn't hesitate or even think twice about it. Besides, with the amount of snow we have here I think mod season is going to be a month or two longer than normal anyways...

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Yeah, it's funny that I've been scrimping and saving for the swingarm and replicator for months now and was getting really excited to place the order and get it done, but when the issue with Lula came up I didn't hesitate or even think twice about it. Besides, with the amount of snow we have here I think mod season is going to be a month or two longer than normal anyways...
Your bike will give you the same feeling whether you have stock rims or other goodies. Just having your cat around is worth giving it up for now.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Awww...I'm glad your cat is better. Its nice to see rough and tough bikers being so soft with their pets. I have a 7 year old TeaCup Yorkie that weighs 3 pounds! I swear that some days it seems that I work my job just for him. Its his world, I just live in it.

Liz

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Glad to hear your cat is doing better. I know what you mean about pets. They are literally members of the family. We have 4 dogs and two cats. One of our dogs is diabetic and we have to give him insulin shots twice a day. He is now blind from the disease, but he still gets around fairly well. Hopefully we'll be albe to get his blood sugar under control and he'll be with us for a good while longer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today is the last day of forced feedings, which is great news; getting up every three hours is getting crazy. I woke up at 4am for a feeding and thought I had missed my alarm on the 1am feeding... until I went downstairs: the lights were all on, the fridge was wide open and everything was sitting out on the counter. I must have done it in my sleep. I still have no recollection of that at all. That coupled with the fact that she is getting back to her normal, feisty self is making it more and more difficult, which in my opinion is great. I can hardly hang onto her, even wrapped in a towel. Thanks all for the comments, looks like she's back to business as usual. (I put her on a scale, she had dropped from 12.5 to 7.5 last week, and is now back up to 10.5)

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Today is the last day of forced feedings, which is great news; getting up every three hours is getting crazy. I woke up at 4am for a feeding and thought I had missed my alarm on the 1am feeding... until I went downstairs: the lights were all on, the fridge was wide open and everything was sitting out on the counter. I must have done it in my sleep. I still have no recollection of that at all. That coupled with the fact that she is getting back to her normal, feisty self is making it more and more difficult, which in my opinion is great. I can hardly hang onto her, even wrapped in a towel. Thanks all for the comments, looks like she's back to business as usual. (I put her on a scale, she had dropped from 12.5 to 7.5 last week, and is now back up to 10.5)
That is awesome... well the part about leaving the fridge open and the lights on :a20:

·
Registered
948 Posts
I know what you are saying about amazing pets 4 1/2 years ago I had a major health crisis. I had two major infections which made their way to my legs and proceeded to burn their way out from the inside I spent 5 months in home health. during that time my cats Jean Luc and Jean Claude... AKA Picard and VanDame... were amazing little friends. I had to sleep with my legs up so took up residence in a Lazy Boy... I would put my hands on the armrest and they would each laydown on a hand... and stay there for hours. They were both older and have now passed on but it created a memory I will never forget.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts