M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, hope everyone is fine (specially guys in Brussels today (prayer's sent))

I have been noticing that sometimes while heavy leaning on a curve som fluid starts to leak from somewhere below the tank. This has being happening sporadically for years I can't even recall when it started.
The last time I did something about it, I thought it was coolant so I checked the entire system and did found a small leak that I fix. But recently I started to see it again specially after a hot day, and the color of the fluid is pink not blue as my coolant.
So I am leaning to think it might be gasoline, and since happens so very often I was wondering if it could be because I am overfilling the tank or am I leaning too much?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
What year bike? 06 and 07's had a recall for leaky fuel rails and that is normally what happened is that it would drip when you leaned from what I can remember.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year bike? 06 and 07's had a recall for leaky fuel rails and that is normally what happened is that it would drip when you leaned from what I can remember.
My bike is from 2009. I just made the connection between overfilling the tank and this leak while leaning while writing this post. But it is just a hunch so I rather have more info before pulling it all apart again.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Yeah, if you over fill the tank it will happen for sure. Especially on hot days. This is why I bought one of those bike chocks, so my bike stays upright in the garage. I fill my bike in the garage all the time, after riding. With the bike upright I can fill it to the brim and don't get any overflow.

I've never noticed it happening while riding though. Not one time. Even when the tank is overfull, this beast of a bike has an appetite. It doesn't take long for the fuel level to drop down to a place where it won't drool.

But pink? Really? Your gasoline is pink? I've heard of and seen red, but not pink. Here red is usually some brand or another of high octane racing gasoline. You won't find it at the pump. Most pump gas here is either clear or yellow.

You can't lean the M109R too much. LOL The footpegs will stop you from going that far.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
My bike is from 2009. I just made the connection between overfilling the tank and this leak while leaning while writing this post. But it is just a hunch so I rather have more info before pulling it all apart again.
Well, I know this sounds stupid, but run the tank down half way, wipe everything off and go ride and see if it happens again. I have never heard of that happening, even when full. If it did from the tank, you should see fuel coming out around your speedo and i doubt that is the case.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, if you over fill the tank it will happen for sure. Especially on hot days. This is why I bought one of those bike chocks, so my bike stays upright in the garage. I fill my bike in the garage all the time, after riding. With the bike upright I can fill it to the brim and don't get any overflow.

I've never noticed it happening while riding though. Not one time. Even when the tank is overfull, this beast of a bike has an appetite. It doesn't take long for the fuel level to drop down to a place where it won't drool.

But pink? Really? Your gasoline is pink? I've heard of and seen red, but not pink. Here red is usually some brand or another of high octane racing gasoline. You won't find it at the pump. Most pump gas here is either clear or yellow.

You can't lean the M109R too much. LOL The footpegs will stop you from going that far.
Gasoline here does have a reddish hue, isn't that it's color???? using 95oct but that should be actually 90 or less. And yes is nothing that happens frequently enough for me to bother, doesn't even seems to cause any lack of power or sputtering, it's just something that appears eventually. I first notice it coming from the cylinder closest to the wheel, #2 I think. Yesterday after I filled up in the morning, I saw it at the ride back from work coming between the two cylinders and over the stand. I wipe it out and used it today and didn't drip or anything.

Well, I know this sounds stupid, but run the tank down half way, wipe everything off and go ride and see if it happens again. I have never heard of that happening, even when full. If it did from the tank, you should see fuel coming out around your speedo and i doubt that is the case.
Yeah that's the problem I cannot replicate the leakage no matter what I do at my garage. I don't want to rev her that bad either in case some other hose pops.

Could it be that the coolant is mixed with some oxidized particules or does it change of color after burning? I am going to take a picture if it happens again.

Thanks for your inputs!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Gasoline here does have a reddish hue, isn't that it's color???? using 95oct but that should be actually 90 or less. And yes is nothing that happens frequently enough for me to bother, doesn't even seems to cause any lack of power or sputtering, it's just something that appears eventually. I first notice it coming from the cylinder closest to the wheel, #2 I think. Yesterday after I filled up in the morning, I saw it at the ride back from work coming between the two cylinders and over the stand. I wipe it out and used it today and didn't drip or anything.

Yeah that's the problem I cannot replicate the leakage no matter what I do at my garage. I don't want to rev her that bad either in case some other hose pops.

Could it be that the coolant is mixed with some oxidized particules or does it change of color after burning? I am going to take a picture if it happens again.

Thanks for your inputs!
Smell your rag....there is no way to not know it is gasoline or antifreeze. If you are having no issues with your coolant system, it should look as good as new.

·
Registered
316 Posts
As mentioned before in this thread, I think it is the fuel rail that is leaking. A lot of us guys have had this issue. Do a search in this forum and you will find info on how to solve that issue by installing two hose clamps to ensure you have no further leaks. I did mine when it leaked and no problem since. The job is quite easy except for getting the air intake channels clamped back on. That part of the job was a real PITA and it's best to have a mate handy to assist.

Hey folks, hope everyone is fine (specially guys in Brussels today (prayer's sent))

I have been noticing that sometimes while heavy leaning on a curve som fluid starts to leak from somewhere below the tank. This has being happening sporadically for years I can't even recall when it started.
The last time I did something about it, I thought it was coolant so I checked the entire system and did found a small leak that I fix. But recently I started to see it again specially after a hot day, and the color of the fluid is pink not blue as my coolant.
So I am leaning to think it might be gasoline, and since happens so very often I was wondering if it could be because I am overfilling the tank or am I leaning too much?

What do you guys think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts