M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used 12" flex LED strips from Radiantz. I also recommend buying some 3M automotive adhesion promoter packets. You'll need a hair dryer, a coffee cup, wire strippers, soldering iron, heat shrink tubing, tools to take off the front headlight nacelle, and a couple of beers.

-Open 1st beer and have some. Then proceed to take off the headlight nacelle. This is a bitch, and is why you need the beer. You'll need to cut off part of the existing black turn signal brackets with a dremel.

-get the hair dryer out, and heat up the LED strips. After they are heated, coil them up and put them in the coffee cup and let cool.
-clean the mounting surface, and then apply the 3M automotive adhesion promoter. this stuff isn't for cleaning, it's actually sticky, and makes the bond very strong.
-take a coil out of the coffee cup, take off the tape strip, and mount it. i suggest starting with the wires up top, and inside towards the nacelle. press it down very tightly, and slowly work your way around until you are at the end of the flex LED. heat it up again with the hair drier, and press down on it really hard, particularly at the ends, to make sure it has good form and is stuck on well.
-repeat for 2nd strip

-cut and strip the ends, and solder them onto the existing turn signal wires. use the following color codes:

LED Strip / 109 wires
----------------------------
yellow / solid black
black / black with white strip
not used / green

-put some kind of wire loom over the wires for protection. i used chrome wire loom because part of it is visible.
-put it back together, drink your last beer, and revel in your glory

·
Registered
188 Posts
Awsome job, what is the estimated cost of doing this & exactley what do I need to order? I looked at the web site but wasn't sure of which parts were needed.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's about a $200 job. 90 bucks a shot for each LED strip, and you need 2. the 3M pads are a few bucks, then there's shipping.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Sweet! This is what I want to do with mine, but I ride 2 up alot so I'll have to mount my rear leds under the fender, but still same idea!! Thanks for leading the way! :bigthumbsup: :a18:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
So when you cut the strip in half, how hard was it to solder new wire to the small wires on the end of the cut part?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i didn't cut the strip at all. that's a full 12" wrapped around each one. only thing i cut was the plastic tube that holds the strip.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
phaed said:
i didn't cut the strip at all. that's a full 12" wrapped around each one. only thing i cut was the plastic tube that holds the strip.
Oh. Well that gets a bit expensive :eek: $400 for turn signals... Maybe some day.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I cut the rear turn signals and you have a limited space to work with and if you have big hand which most of us do it becomes a small challenge. The little metal strips on the back of the LED's is tiny it gives you enough to get one drop of solder on it and you have to make sure not to let the wires or solder touch.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So sad the images die after a while...:edit:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts