M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning and found my rear tire flat. I see no nails, holes, etc. I rode it pretty hard for a couple of hours yesterday. any thoughts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
it is obvious you have a leak somewhere in order for it to be flat today. nothing may be visibly inside the tire now, but you could have run over something yesterday while riding it that punctured your tire and simply never got stuck in it for you to discover.

if you have a air compressor at home, try inflating the tire to discover where the leak is at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wonder how safe is to ride the rear tire with plug in it? I had a nail when the tire was almost new and plugged it then. It's been a while, but every time I check the air, that plug bothers me...

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,948 Posts
It's got a hole in it somewhere unless the valve stem core is leaking bad. Inflate it and spray some soapy water on it and see what shows up. It could be a cut or puncture with nothing sticking in it.

I've plugged a couple that were getting near the end of their useful life while waiting for a new one to arrive, but I don't really care to do it. If you do it, get a bike specific plug kit, and ideally you would dismount the tire and patch it on the inside.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, i inflated the tire and immediately found a hole, must have ran over a nail. Just ordered a new tire from cycle gear for $162 shipped, using military discount

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I wonder how safe is to ride the rear tire with plug in it? I had a nail when the tire was almost new and plugged it then. It's been a while, but every time I check the air, that plug bothers me...
I put over 3k on a plug on my first tire. Now my 3 tire has a plug with a few k with no problems. I don't like it, but I am not going to purchase a new tire when it is almost new now.

Doc

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've plugged a few for friends or people on the side of the road with a flat. I have a buddy I call Mr.Plugs . He is the unluckiest SOB when it comes to bike tires. He rides like a crazy person. Rear tire has been plugged 3 times now.He does smoky burnouts and all. Just makes me cringe. I worry about it but have warned him on numerous occasions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts