M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say hello to everyone, and that I am already enjoying this bike. This is my first motorcycle ever, and I am so enjoying it already.

I took it out for a spin around the block a few times today, got so many looks, and scared quite a few young kids playing basketball, was hillarious.

Look forward to getting used to this bike and enjoying it very much.

Glad to see everyone so into this bike, and having so much FUN!!!

:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome this is my first bike also and love it. I am so glad mt wife said no four wheeler but you can get a bike. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a first bike! Awesome choice for a first one, what color did you get?? I'm glad I've had a bike before so I can really appreciate all that this bike offers, not that you can't but just another perspective having had a bike before. :welcome:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I brought home the Silver one, fresh out of the crate. I actually know the dealer and checked out the black one in his showroom, just hated how easily it showed fingerprints. He walked me out to the crated Silver one, tore open the crate, and inside was the silver beauty. I reached inside, touched it, and said "I'll take it"...

Cheesy I know, but felt really cool that I was the FIRST PERSON to touch it, on the receiving end :)

I took it out for a spin last night, ran really good, just brought it home in time for the sun to go down as I don't trust my night driving skills just yet. I need to remove those two warning labels off the gas tank, and after that, going to just keep riding it daily, in the neighborhood, till I get really comfortable with it, and then will venture out in the back roads in my area, and eventually the highway.

I would rather get used to it slowly but surely, and enjoy it as I go, as right now, doing just 20 in my area, is TONS of fun, can not imagine what it will be like when I get her up to freeway speeds.

Like Moose, I also have a very supportive wife who wants me to ENJOY myself on the bike. :)

Looking forward to many fun miles aheaad.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike, and welcome :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Congrats on your new ride !!! I know exactly how you feel ...it's my first bike also and let me tell you...i was a nervous wreck when i first rode it out the dealership but,like you, ive been riding it everyday and been retting confortable with it..awesome bike.

Advice....i suggest you take the MSF course as soon as you can. Youll learn a ton of good stuff that will make you a better rider and might even save your life one day.

Happy you got the fastest color ...SILVER!!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did take the MSF course, and feel a lot better after taking that... learned how to do avoidance manuevers and all :)

I'm just taking it out every day and hopefully soon enough I'll get more and more relaxed on it and have TONS of fun :)

My odometer is at 20 miles right now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's nice to know that I'm not alone in the my first bike realm, after having everybody and their mothers knock me for not buying a 650 to learn on. I heard just about every reason not to ride, but seeing the ass side of the bike and having some extra money due to being in construction in New Orleans after the Katrina: It was now or never... 450 miles after, lets just say Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! :D :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
WOW :eek: Guys congratulations! What a first bike guys. Is like the first car been a vette. By the way. It is more difficult to drive the bike around the block than on the road. It is a little unstable at 20 MPH due to the weight, ergonomics and rear FAT tire that may make to look your ass wider. :D Congratulations

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i thought this was a picture forum.

:joke: :p :joke: :p

be careful and ride safe.

ps-and post some pics will ya

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EL said:
It's nice to know that I'm not alone in the my first bike realm, after having everybody and their mothers knock me for not buying a 650 to learn on. I heard just about every reason not to ride, but seeing the ass side of the bike and having some extra money due to being in construction in New Orleans after the Katrina: It was now or never... 450 miles after, lets just say Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! :D :bigthumbsup:
I had the same friends saying the same thing... I should get a tiny bike to start out on, and then work my way up to the big bad beast when I got used to riding again...

Guess I did the same thing back in my dirt bike days, instead of riding a 125 or 250cc, just had to have that 500cc... which I can proudly say that I never broke a bone on :)

Okay, where is that wood to knock on now? LOL

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On a serious note though, being 6'5" and 290 pounds, I can't just fit on ANY bike. We rode the Buell Blast in my MSF course and it was REALLY cramped. Lets just say that a girl in my class, who was 4'10" was able to ride the same bike I was forced to learn on... can we say SMALL...

I could have bought a smaller sized bike... to practice and learn on for a month or so... and then once I had mastered that bike, move up to the real bike... yet I just have this thing about wasting all that money, which is all I would be doing by buying a smaller bike, trading it in and losing my a$$ in the process, and then buying the bike I should have gotten in the first place...

Like a good friend told me, you can kill yourself just as fast on an 800cc as you can on this 1800cc bike... it is all in how you respect the bike, how you start off slowly and take your time learning it, and enjoying the process. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk, and once you get to the running part... you know the other parts so perfectly, that you are a safer rider, and you enjoy it more as well...

I'll just keep taking this bike out on the back roads and on the streets around my house, till I am totally used to it, and if that process takes 6 months of my time, so be it... I am only 28 years old, have at least 40 good riding years left in front of me :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first bike was the S50 last August and I have been going crazy ever since I first layed eyes on the 109 and it's 240 rear :eek:; especially when I tried to tug it of the stand and almost threw the bike over the other direction :redfaced: (man is it light on top)!!! I have been reading everything I can about this bike and I just want it more and more. I hope to be a real member of this group sometime soon with a new M109.

Ride careful and keep sharing all the great experiences!! :bigthumbsup:

JJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts