M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a long ride up the canyons east and north of Salt Lake today. I am amazed at how much better the 109 seemed to handle the twisties. Using gears from first to fith my speed would go as low as 20mph to as high as 110mp on longer stretches. My nerves and old heart just wont let me go any faster. The higher the speed got, the smoother the ride was. Handleing is supurb but just a little slower in the curves than lighter bikes. with the rear end lowerd I find the seat is much more comfortable, my arms and back seem more relaxed. Right now the seat hight is between 25 to 25 1/2 inches, so both feet settle more on the ground with less stress to the legs and feet. The pegs seem they are at the point where they can be moved forward a little, but the positioning is still good. Next week when I get my seat customized the seat height will be around 24 inches. Having a gel pad installed should keep the comfort level up, I hope. Oh by the way I am 5' 10" tall. I can hardly wait to see just how she will be after.

Reed

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hey Reed,
Did you also lower the front end as well? I'd think the bike might look like it's pointing upwards (or really squatting in the rear) if you lowered only the rear end? :confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm thinking about putting the 2.5 inch lowering bones on mine any words of wisdom? Does it really help the bikes handling? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What drop did you do? 2.5" etc.

Salt Lake eh? That makes us close neighbors... I need to swing by or meet up with you and check out that slam to the rear.
I launched up Parleys Canyon to the East Canyon exit and was going to swing through East Canyon, but had no helmet on and it was
already getting dark... My face and clothes had bugs all over em from the ride back down the canyon.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
NateHop04 said:
I'm thinking about putting the 2.5 inch lowering bones on mine any words of wisdom? Does it really help the bikes handling? Thanks for the info.
Just curious, but did you even read the post? I don't know how he can make it any more clear that the handling seemed better with the lowering bones installed.

Thanks OldFart, this is just what I've been waiting to hear. I have my order placed for a set, just waiting on the 4th batch to get started. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll be riding lower.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ditto...Ditto...and...Ditto to what OldFart said.

This old fart found the same things to be true. Except, of course, i don't have any canyons to ride thru here in Indiana. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The design and geometry of the 109 do'nt make the front end look higher or out of balance with the rest of the bike. This is my opinion, I would like to hear what others who have lowered their rear end say. The drop is 2 1/2 inches. Once my son and I figured out how to do things the install was not very hard. I do recomend two adults working with this modification though.

1. Use a good lift that is servicable
2. Tie the bike down. This will add to the steadyness of the bike
3. Remove the right side covers and use an extension on your wrench to remove the shock from its strut. Originally my son and I tried to remove the nut and bolt using inside access for removal. That way is very frustrating and difficult.
4 Follow the instructions and you will be in like Flint.

Reed

·
Registered
752 Posts
Reed:

My concern is that I will loose conering clearance. I have to loose some, did it feel like much?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
L-Train said:
Reed:

My concern is that I will loose conering clearance. I have to loose some, did it feel like much?
As mentioned in another post, you will lose some, but it will not be nearly as much as you would if you lowered the front end. After all, the pegs are pretty much forward controls. Lowering the back 2 1/2 inches will lower the pegs only slightly. The only way to get a true feel for this without installing them for yourself would be to take a string and tie it level a few inches off the ground. Make this long enough so that you have a true distance from the back of the bike to where the pegs are. Mark the spot where the pegs are on the string, and then just lower the string at the back 2 1/2 inches. Then measure the mark on the string where the pegs would be. I'm sure you will find they only changed slightly. It's all about angles. Look at a triangle. One side of the triangle rises a lot, whereas the other side changes only minimally the closer to the front you get.

·
Registered
686 Posts
WIZARD said:
What drop did you do? 2.5" etc.

Salt Lake eh? That makes us close neighbors... I need to swing by or meet up with you and check out that slam to the rear.
I launched up Parleys Canyon to the East Canyon exit and was going to swing through East Canyon, but had no helmet on and it was
already getting dark... My face and clothes had bugs all over em from the ride back down the canyon.
You think those bugs are bad, you should see my windshield!!! I'm still on my 01 Volusia with a tall windshield. I drive home after midnight every night and drive down I-80 from Salt Lake to Stansbury Park. Once you hit that lake area it's a wall of bugs. I'm really going to miss that windshield when I get the 109. I guess the one benefit is that it will encourage me to keep the helmet on just to keep the bugs out of my eyes.......nose, teeth, hair, etc, etc, etc.
Anyway, wish me luck on selling the house. Once that is done I hope to see you on the road while riding my own 109!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I lowered mine about 1000 miles ago . I am 5'7" and was tip toeing before. my feet are flat on the ground now. The bike handles the same, maybe a little better. I am more comfortable on it. Do drag my heels a bit. My budy says at night my headlight blinds him when I am behind him. Been talking to Corbin about a new seat to bring me 2" closes to the bars and one inch lower. Going to get custom fitting while at Sturgis.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I haven't had any headlight problems... but for those of you that are, it's a very easy fix. If you lock your bars left you'll see a hole with an adjuster screw in the back of the headlight housing. Turn that (can't remember which direction) to raise or lower the headlight. Just go outside when it gets dark and aim your light at a garage door :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts