M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I’m a long time lurker (3 weeks), first time poster. I bought my M109R about 2.5 weeks ago and absolutely love it! It has gobs of power and lots of chrome, and I can’t forget that awesome 240 tire on the rear! Oh yea, I did get the fastest color – Bright Silver! The thing looks like it is screaming even sitting on the parking lot.

My dealer, CycleWorld in Virginia Beach, VA did NOT overfill my oil. They apparently had on a couple previous to mine so they followed the manual to the letter! I did like a lot of you have and changed the oil and diff fluid before the 600 mile mark listed in the manual. It had approximately 182 miles on it when I changed both. Like many of you, the rear fluid was nasty, so I drove it 5 miles and changed it again to flush it good. I have since changed it again at 257mile mark. The oil was dirty again, just not as bad as the first time. Planning on changing the rear diff and the oil again at the 600 mile mark and I will let you all know what it looks like when I change it then.

As far as running issues go, I have not really had any. The transmission is very clunky like all of you have reported, so that seems to be the norm. Otherwise the bike just runs Great!

Now the Bad News: I have become one of the members that have experienced kickstand problems! My brand new bike fell off of its kickstand this very morning! I am so P*$$ED! This happened on my level driveway. I pulled the bike out like I always do, had the kickstand fully extended, got off to close the garage door and as I was closing the door, I noticed I did not hear it running and turned around…there it was laying on its side in the middle of the driveway.

The only thing I can figure is that it was damp and as such it was running a bit rougher than normal and walked its way right off of the stand?!? I have no idea! I have never had a bike fall off of the kickstand before! I believe it was Maniac who detailed a mod to notch the kickstand – I would strongly suggest everyone do this mod if nothing else!
The bike is too expensive, too heavy and the kickstand movement is Too Smooth for a bike like this. It should not be that easy for it to come off like it did. It could/can be very dangerous if you are working on it and can’t get out of the way or if you have a small child near it. Please be careful!

Here is a list of what was broken or bent:

1. broke front turn signal
2. bent the gear shift
3. broke the round ball off of the clutch lever
4. dented the gas tank Badly!
5. Scratched the air intake – deep scratches
6. Scratched the rear chromed fender support – deep scratches

I have already contacted the dealership and I am now waiting to hear back. My sales rep is supposed to be calling Suzuki in CA this morning and will let me know what they have to say about it. Apparently they have had at least on other bike come off of its stand (he told me over the phone)-due to the starter engaging and knocking it off the kickstand?
I did not get into the details with him this morning regarding the starter issue, but I will when I talk to him this afternoon.

I will keep you all posted.

--Patrick

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
:realmad: That is a drag Bro. I hope they can do something for you. ::) I never park my bike now unless it's in gear and all the slop is taken out of th drivetrain. :confused:

By the way :welcome:

G

·
Mine did the SAME EXACT thing the first week...Boy did I feel stupid...never said anything as I just figured it was my fault....I have since replaced the turns and clutch lever and have to paint the tank as theres a small dent from the clutch lever knob end and the badge emblem was scratched up....and the left air cleaner lid was scratched and there are a few small scratches on the rear strut bar...but..Least I know I'm not the only one who had to fix it already...I didnt turn it in the insurance as all the pieces except the rear strut cost me around 300....and a pint of paint was 108....and my deduct is 500.00....Sorry to hear you misfortune....just wonde if zuki is really gonna do anything....?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks!

This really sucks! I should have paid more attention to the kickstand posts first, then to the ones about it making it go faster.
I will let you all know what Suzuki says this afternoon...I won't hold my breath though. :(

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I had a kickstand problem too!! I forgot to even put it down! :yikes: :yikes:
I got off easy, left front light is the only lastig damage. I reformed the shifter and everything else buffed out.

Welcome aboard and sorry for the loss!

Sledzep

G

·
Congratulations on the new ride. Sorry to hear about your problem. I hope you can it taken care of. Ride safe and enjoy.

oldfart

·
Registered
600 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
i feel for you buddy,nock on wood haven't had that problem. Hope it all works out for you though. Furthermore i want readers to check their bikes out and see if you too get a lunge when in first gear with the clutch pulled all the way in and also in neutral when you rev the engine? Is it me or does this bike just want to move
Mine lunges slightly when I put it into gear - more so the first few times after starting it. It's gotten a little better since I took all the slack out of the clutch cable. I also leave mine in gear when it's parked.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hold on.....................:joke:...............Good, just had to go check in the parking lot - make sure its still standing.  I'll pay closer attention to how and where i park it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
krazydiver said:
Hey guys,

Thanks!Â

This really sucks! I should have paid more attention to the kickstand posts first, then to the ones about it making it go faster.Â
I will let you all know what Suzuki says this afternoon...I won't hold my breath though. :(
Dude, try to stick to your guns. That is effed up and it's NOT your fault. They should and BETTER cover that 100%. Everyone that has had this happen should make a stink about it. It is a first year bike and they need to hear about it and reconcile it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I posted the Suzuki Customer Service contact info on another more recent thread about this.
But in case you missed it:Â Â 714.572.1490Â Â and have the VIN ready!

Here is the link to the NHTSA site: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/

I do plan on making a real stink about this. The bike only has 545miles on it and I have owned it all of 2.5 weeks. it really does suck!Â

With that said, when I get it back, I plan on driving the tires right off to make up for lost time. Already have the JDS on order and the die grinder in the garage for the kickstand!Â

The kickstand mod is the Best Bang for the Buck anyone can do! Doesn't cost anything, but a little time and can save you a grand or more. Little piece of mind too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
krazydiver said:
I posted the Suzuki Customer Service contact info on another more recent thread about this.
But in case you missed it:Â Â 714.572.1490Â Â and have the VIN ready!

I do plan on making a real stink about this. The bike only has 545miles on it and I have owned it all of 2.5 weeks. it really does suck!Â

With that said, when I get it back, I plan on driving the tires right off to make up for lost time. Already have the JDS on order and the die grinder in the garage for the kickstand!Â

The kickstand mod is the Best Bang for the Buck anyone can do! Doesn't cost anything, but a little time and can save you a grand or more. Little piece of mind too.

Thanks!
Is there a "how to" on this? Will a dremel do the job?

·
Registered
752 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
i feel for you buddy,nock on wood haven't had that problem. Hope it all works out for you though. Furthermore i want readers to check their bikes out and see if you too get a lunge when in first gear with the clutch pulled all the way in and also in neutral when you rev the engine? Is it me or does this bike just want to move
Was getting it. Adjusted my clutch cabloe and it went away.

G

·
Sorry about the bike. That just sucks. Because of these posts I am going to be more attentive every time I put my kickstands down. I know I do try to set mine every time. Just kinda pull the bike back then turn the bars. Maybe this practice has kept it from happening to me. I don't know but thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I brought mine home, put 10 -15 miles on it just because ... put it up , woke up the next morning,anxious to ride it to work ,pulled it out ,cranked it up ,was getting ready to leave and remembered my gloves were on the other bike. left it running to warm up, got off, took four steps toward the other bike and heard the crash!!!!!!
i couldn't believe it . my other bike has a stop on the kickstand .it will creep forward about an inch ,then stop. I was sick!! lost front and rear left turn signal, scratched the rear chrome frame member, broke the clutch handle, dented and scratched the tank and emblem. scratched the ait filter cover bent the gear shift lever, after owning it for 15 miles and over night .....if the dent in the tank is not fixed correctly , there is ,I'm told a protective coasting in inside the tank that, if it flakes off, can give you trouble .....i hope someone gets some kind of restitution.. but i wouldn't hold my breath.they do tell you in the owners manual not to do what we did so i guess that will be there response..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just so I get this right and don't make the same mistake, what causes this? This is kinda freaking me out because I leave my bike running all the time, but usually on a steep driveway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The kickstand will allow the bike to roll forward off of the stand and it dosen't have to be a steep grade forward. leave the bike off , in gear and take the slack out before you let it rest on the stand, turned to the left all the way would be a good practice as well

·
Registered
91 Posts
I WILL PAY MUCH MORE ATTENTION TO WHERE AND HOW I PARK MINE NOW. YOU HAVE ALL SCARED THE BE-JEEBIES OUT OF ME. JUST THINKING ABOUT HEARING THE "CRASH" SOUND OF MY BLACK BEAUTY HITTING THE GROUND MAKE MY HEART DROP. LAMONSTER (POST MAY) OR ANYONE--WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DO MEAN "YOU DON'T PARK UNLESS ALL THE SLOP IS TAKEN OUT OF THE DRIVETRAIN."

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
When you put it in gear you can still roll the bike one way or the other. What you need to do is put it in gear and roll it till it stops and then put the stand down.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You all are kinda scaring me too. I leave it running all the time. I have adjusted my clutch lever in the past and maybe thats why mine has not creeped off the kick stand? Thanks for all the info it is awesome to here all of these testimonials. I am a First time bike owner and all the info is incredible. :confused: :eek: :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts