M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I let my stealer change the oil the first time just so they could check the bike over good after the break-in period. They did fine-no issues. Today I changed the oil myself which I'll do from here on out. After the 15/3 check, the oil is about 1/4 of the way into the crosshatch. I have about 400 ml left in my 4th quart. After reading all of the threads about oil puke I'm afraid to add any more. What do you guys think? (ps I rode it about sixty miles and all is well).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
As long as it's in the hatched area, you're OK. Better to run it in the middle than too full.

You can also check it when cold to get a reference. Let the bike sit over night, or at least a few hours, after riding. Then before you move the bike take the dip stick out and check it. You don't have to wipe it off and reinsert, just remove and check. And don't sit the bike up or move it at all. It should register the same as the 15/3 check. If you're lowered it will be a little different.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
As long as it's in the hatched area, you're OK. Better to run it in the middle than too full.

You can also check it when cold to get a reference. Let the bike sit over night, or at least a few hours, after riding. Then before you move the bike take the dip stick out and check it. You don't have to wipe it off and reinsert, just remove and check. And don't sit the bike up or move it at all. It should register the same as the 15/3 check. If you're lowered it will be a little different.
:agree: and congrats on doing it yourself. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts

Exactly! I don't even bother doing the 15/3 check anymore. I only do the cold check. When I change my oil and filter I put in 3.8 qts and I do the cold check afterwards, the level comes out usually in the upper half of the hash marks on the dipstick. It's fool proof.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly! I don't even bother doing the 15/3 check anymore. I only do the cold check. When I change my oil and filter I put in 3.8 qts and I do the cold check afterwards, the level comes out usually in the upper half of the hash marks on the dipstick. It's fool proof.
Did the cold check this morning and it's in the upper half of the hash. When I changed it I leaned the bike back and forth to get out as much as possible (both plugs pulled of course). Changed the filter. By my math I put in just about 3400ml which is what it says on the little sticker by the dipstick.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Cold Check

Wow, I have never heard of the "Cold Check" but it sounds so much better than the 15/3 which I totally hate. Do you screw the dipstick in to check it?

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I have never heard of the "Cold Check" but it sounds so much better than the 15/3 which I totally hate. Do you screw the dipstick in to check it?
I did just as Zoom states, just walk up to the bike in the morning and unscrew the dipstick and look at it on the sidestand no wiping off.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Dont forget to give your air box the reach around and look under your bike do a drip check (RBOAD).

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont forget to give your air box the reach around and look under your bike do a drip check (RBOAD).
Yeah I'm pretty anal with everything about this bike. Always staring at it. Double checking stuff etc. Lol!

·
Registered
534 Posts
You do NOT do anything with the dipstick or the bike, other than unscrew and read.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I do my oil change cold also. I just drain it add 3.5 quarts and its perfect. Brenda doing it for over 2 years with great results.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
If you want to recheck it cold, wipe off the dipstick and screw it all the way back in then check it again. For the 15/3 you just place it in the hole, for the cold you screw it in.

Keep in mind that for the cold check to work the bike has to be at stock height too. I've kind of figured out over time how to compensate for mine being lowered (it will barely show on the stick), but usually when I really want to check it I run the back tire up on a 2x10 when I park it. This leans it close to the amount a stock bike is and gives about the same reading.

But as long as you do the cold check after a change, and are sure you got the right amount in, the first cold check will tell you where it should be later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts