M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, obviously I am new to the board...as I assume most people are :)

I thought it was funny last week as I rolled my new Black M109R into my garage and started looking at changing the bike already. What amused me was that I had to remove the reflectors off the bottom of the forks and from under the sides of the rear tailsection. What is funny about this is that I have been removing the reflectors off all my new bikes ever since I was a kid...I remember getting my first bmx bicycle and off came those reflectors before I would even ride it.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out how to clean the back tail section up. Coming from a sportbike background, we always chopped the crappy black plastic license plate holder and figured out a way to mount the license plate in a clean way. I was thinking of trying to mount the plate off the shaft drive so I can show off that nice 240 rubber. Also, I am trying to think of something creative by changing out the rear turnsignals as well.

HAs anybody started working on the tail section yet? If so, I would love to see some pics or hear some ideas that you might have.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello, and welcome. The first thing my mechanic said while having the bike serviced at 600 was, " I'd like to clean up the back." He proposed side-mounting the plate and the smaller clear signals on the sides. I agree except for the fact that the side plate may interfere with bags. Yes, the bike looks best without bags, but I need a place to carry my stuff.

G

·
Yep,,,I also removed the reflectors yesterday and removed the warning labels on the tanks...Took about 3 minutes including the hand glaze on the tank afterwards...... ;D looks much better...as for the rear....Someone has areadly tackled this..I'll see if I can round that up....Myself,,,a lowering link in the rear(to reduce the space between the tire and fender)...and a sidemount license plate.....somehow..my ol marauder had one but bolted to the right rear lower shock bolt.... :-\Laters

·
Registered
849 Posts
I ran side mount on my X and it did sort of get in the way.
I've installed run, turn, and brake controller on the 109 for more visibility coming home from bike nights, and switched to the clear lens on the turn signals. I tried running the silver painted red incandescents in the rear signals and quickly melted down the bulbs and the insides of the lens. The single element 1156 obviously weren't meant for continuous running. They apparently got real hot .
Carving away enough of the insides of the lens now to leave room to install the 1.85 " 48 led Radiantz clusters in the back turn signals to go with that big brake light.
I've also got a new chrome plate bracket back ordered from HDL with red leds on the top that I'll wire into the run, and brake function. It was in his 25 new products section so i hope it doesn't take too long.
Like everyone else, the stickers, reflector's and other gee gaws were the first to go.
I plan on doing polishing and chroming when we get that stupid snow stuff again next winter.
I'm not messing with intake and exhaust until someone proves it will improve performance.
I too have contacted WindVest and wait for a reply yet.
In the meantime, I just ordered a Slipstreamer Spitfire As an interim shied with their 1.25 " accessory brackets. Once I get it mounted, I'll figure out how much plastic needs trimming to get everything to match up good.
Jerbear

G

·
I too am interested in the possibility of removing the license plate bracket to the swingarm. What is HDL? Do you have a web link for them?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wonder how difficult it will be to remove the rear plastic fender over the subframe. I don't want to cut the flap, but would like to unbolt it if that is possible. It looks like the rear fender needs to come off to access the bolts for the mud flap thingy. Any thoughts?

My first mods included removing the reflectors, boulevard tank badges and the warning stickers.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
kwcrawler said:
What did you remove the badges with?
On my other bikes I would use dental floss and wd40 and use a sawing action.

My stupid warning stickers took forever to get off. Hey maybe they should have a warning sticker on how to check the oil instead of not riding drunk. :-[

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used a blow dryer and a rubber spoon to peel mine off. Then cleaned it up with a bit WD40. It took about 2 hours for both stickers.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
AB_Rider said:
I used a blow dryer and a rubber spoon to peel mine off. Then cleaned it up with a bit WD40. It took about 2 hours for both stickers.
Thank you. I thought I was the only one that had trouble with it. You would think they would use those static stickers on the tank. I could change a tire faster than taking those stickers off! :-\

·
Registered
129 Posts
It took me around 2 hours for the stickers too. And a sore thumb. Those stickers just crumble, instead of peel.

Can someone post a pic of a debadged 109 ? I'm still on the fence.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I added a scorpion alarm & debagged her the 1st day in the garage. Bigger rear tire coming in Thurs. I'm going with the 250/40/18 till they make some custom wheels then it's on to the 280 or 300 rear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used Goo-Be-Gone and fingernails. Took an hour to get the sticker off and another to get the stuff out from under my nails.
No damage to paint at all.
Bradbike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey RxHealer

Do you mean a Scorpio alarm? If so, how did the installation go? Were you able to fit it under the seat alright?

Does anybody else have recommendations for an alarm system?

·
Registered
849 Posts
HDL just notified they're shipping me the Big Bike parts led rear chrome plate bracket and that will wire right in to the run and brake stuff I've got  under the seat.  If you add the Kuryakyn run, turn, and brake, system, it fits nicely under the seat.  Just be sure you tape it up good in between where the seat touches the rear inner fender so you don't get any friction.  The load equalizer for the added Radiantz red leds that I switched the rear turn signals over to fits nicely along side the tool bag area.
Jerbear

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used the Yamaha Stratoliner horn. $40 buck MUCH DEEPER.
Had to remove gas tank and plastic around radiator. Loosen screws to radiator , slide it in.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts